Your Favourite Food Items for Calorie Control?

Options
Hey there,
I'm curious - what are your favourite or more frequently eaten items in your healthy eating plan every day? What do you use to keep the caloric intake low and feel full?

Personally here are some of my favourites below. BTW, I'm from Australia so maybe you may not recognise some of the brands...

Chobani yoghurts (protein to keep me feeling full for longer and less than 200 cals)
Multigrain Corn Thins - at only 47 calories for 2 pieces. They are like eating popcorn :)
Up & Go Protein Drinks - great for breakfast. 200 cals.
John West Tuna & 3 Beans - great for lunch! Omega 3 source and Protein at just over 300 cals.
Frozen Meals (Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine) for convenience and low calories
Packaged Asian salad with some crunchy noodles.
Small cans of tuna (90g) - loving the flavours here but Tuna with Springwater is still good with crackers.
Nana's Frozen Waffles for a treat (40 calories per waffle)
LaZuppa soups (some under 200 cals)

What are Your Top Foods? :)

Replies

• Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Fruits & eggwhites mostly - super low calorie. ( 20 - 100 calories usually )
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I love Dave's Killer Bread thin sliced at 60 cals a slice and super hearty, big giant salads full of romaine lettuce to keep me full all day, unsweetened almond milk at 35 cals a cup, Amy's low sodium frozen meals, peppered tofurkey deli slices, cottage cheese, and stevia sodas like Steaz, Zevia, or Honest Fizz.
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Find a huge bowl, add a whole pack of prepackaged salad (here they are 340g, I like the iceberg with carrots and red cabbage mix) with 100g of poached chicken breast and a few tbsp of half-the-fat mayo.

Taste good (to me at least), it's cheap, around 300 calories total, low carbs, low sodium, plenty of protein and vitamins. If I manage to finish the whole thing, I'm so full that I feel like I ate a large pizza.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Fruit
    Vegetables
    Fish
    Boiled rice
    Eggs

Outside the above mentioned, I eat vast amount of different foods, but they are regular and what I would class as healthy.
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Find a huge bowl, add a whole pack of prepackaged salad (here they are 340g, I like the iceberg with carrots and red cabbage mix) with 100g of poached chicken breast and a few tbsp of half-the-fat mayo.

Taste good (to me at least), it's cheap, around 300 calories total, low carbs, low sodium, plenty of protein and vitamins. If I manage to finish the whole thing, I'm so full that I feel like I ate a large pizza.

Yes, I love salads though I usually must have some sort of meat in there (chicken breast is perfect). Tuna nicoise salad sounds tempting. At the moment I love the Asian salads ready-made at my local supermarkets. They have celery, cabbage, mixture of lettuce and the noodles provide a great crunch. It's very filling at under 300 cals :)
  • Go4it1985
    Options
    I love Dave's Killer Bread thin sliced at 60 cals a slice and super hearty, big giant salads full of romaine lettuce to keep me full all day, unsweetened almond milk at 35 cals a cup, Amy's low sodium frozen meals, peppered tofurkey deli slices, cottage cheese, and stevia sodas like Steaz, Zevia, or Honest Fizz.

Cottage cheese - I have actually never ever tasted that (I wonder what it tastes like?). I think mentally I associate it with the appearance of cellulite (lol) so it's unattractive to me. However, it's really super low calorie and healthy.

I wish we had more low sodium packaged meals here in Australia! Whilst I love that my packaged soups are 200cals or less the sodium is sky high...
  • robinsondel
    Options
    I'm just starting out, but I like boiled cabbage with a little bacon in it. Also, the big *kitten* bowl of salad mix like mentioned above and of course, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I can season it different ways, throw different combinations of peppers/onions/veggies on it as it baked it doesn't get as redundant. Last night, I took some red, orange and yellow bell peppers, with some onion and minced up garlic, roasted in a skillet(no oil or butter) then put them on top of my lemon peppered chicken breasts then baked them. After that, I sliced up the chicken and dumped the concoction into a big bowl of the salad mix and it was actually awesome. I'm discovering that with a little patience and creativity, I can make tasty and filling meals that are about 300 calories.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, but I like boiled cabbage with a little bacon in it. Also, the big *kitten* bowl of salad mix like mentioned above and of course, boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I can season it different ways, throw different combinations of peppers/onions/veggies on it as it baked it doesn't get as redundant. Last night, I took some red, orange and yellow bell peppers, with some onion and minced up garlic, roasted in a skillet(no oil or butter) then put them on top of my lemon peppered chicken breasts then baked them. After that, I sliced up the chicken and dumped the concoction into a big bowl of the salad mix and it was actually awesome. I'm discovering that with a little patience and creativity, I can make tasty and filling meals that are about 300 calories.

That last recipe you concocted does actually sound awesome. Chicken is the only meat I eat anymore these days (still eat lots of fish) think I'll steal that idea off of you bro!
  • Go4it1985
    Options

That sounds delicious! I love creating salads (so much freedom). I think I might give that one a try...
    Dressings are my biggest worry so I usually go for lemon juice, vinegar.

One of my favourite salads is green beans blanched with some capers with crushed walnuts drizzled with some lemon juice for a kick :)

I'd be interested in knowing what your other 300 calorie meals are...
    I haven't yet tried out cooking one. Most of my low caloric meals are prepackaged.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Frozen grilled chicken (cause I'm lazy, can't grill to save my life, and those are tender and delicious)
    Greek yogurt
    Beef jerky
    Quest protein bars
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Jerky
    Feta
    Grilled tomatoes with salt and pepper
    Popcorn
    Raw green beans
    Egg white omelettes
    Clear broth soups
    Oatmeal (very filling for the calorie count)
    Cottage cheese with peanut butter
    Apple slices with light Philly and honey or black pepper (seriously try it)
    Grilled zuchinni with pasta sauce and Parmesan
    Zuchinni fritters
    Frozen low fat canned whip with fruit or jelly
  • burnooger
    burnooger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    chobani plain fat free yogurt with powdered peanut butter and some agave
    Egg white omlettes
    Fiber one bars
    cottage cheese
    salmon burgers
    oatmeal with flax seed
    water :)
  • Go4it1985
    Options
    chobani plain fat free yogurt with powdered peanut butter and some agave
    Egg white omlettes
    Fiber one bars
    cottage cheese
    salmon burgers
    oatmeal with flax seed
    water :)

What is agave? I'm from Australia. I don't think I've heard of it :)
  • burnooger
    burnooger Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Agave nectar is a low glycemic sweetener that is slowly absorbed by the body made from agave plants. it is sweeter that sugar. it is a liquid :)
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Top ten most used food in my diary:

Milk, coffee, toast, cheese, fruit cups, yoghurt gums (my "candy" treat), eggs, butter, apples, rice wafers (is use those in stead of bread sometimes)
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt with stevia and fresh fruit
    Oatmeal
    Spinach salad with tiny bit of crumbled bleu cheese, strawberries and raspberry vinaigrette
    Stir fry with chicken, plenty of tomatoes, zucchini and yellow squash
    Hard boiled eggs
    Good Earth brand sweet and spicy tea (with stevia)
  • aealair
    aealair Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of soup -- filling and often quite low-calorie. Just watch out for sodium; best if you can make your own soup at home!

Almond milk is great.

I love the non-fat Fage Greek yogurt. 100 calories, filling, tons of protein.

And as others have mentioned, huge salads!
  • NeverTooLateJudy
    Options
    eggs/egg whites, oatmeal, whole grain bread, chicken, fish, an abundance of fruits and veggies, almond milk, greek and/or lowcarb yogurts, pb2, beans, popcorn.
  • Go4it1985
    Options
    Agave nectar is a low glycemic sweetener that is slowly absorbed by the body made from agave plants. it is sweeter that sugar. it is a liquid :)

Thanks for clueing me in :)
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Pre-peeled mandarin orange slices in water. Yumm. The juice is even delicious. Love those.