CAN'T STOP EATING

Options
Hi everyone. I wouldn't say that I'm binging but I seriously can't stop snacking all day long. Some of it's healthy (pineapple), and some of it isn't (cheesecake). I'm definitely going over my calories, which I haven't even been logging accurately because they are SO over that I'm like.. what's the point. I've been doing this for a few weeks and can already feel myself getting a tummy. The problem? I CAN'T STOP. Does anyone have any tips on how to break free from this bad habit?

Replies

• PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    1) Put down whatever you are eating and go brush your teeth. You will be more reluctant to eat when your mouth is fresh.

2) Do your workout, again you'll feel empowered and not as likely to indulge in crap after just burning off some calories.

3) Just leave the kitchen, hide all tempting items out of site (if you have snacks sitting on your counter, put them in a cupboard) Out of sight = out of mind.

These three things sometimes help me (doesn't work every time) but it works often enough to give them a try. Also, try to log everything you've eaten - even if it is embarrassing to see it. That accountability to yourself may help motivate you to do better tomorrow and the day after that :o) Good luck to you.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I wouldn't say that I'm binging but I seriously can't stop snacking all day long. Some of it's healthy (pineapple), and some of it isn't (cheesecake). I'm definitely going over my calories, which I haven't even been logging accurately because they are SO over that I'm like.. what's the point. I've been doing this for a few weeks and can already feel myself getting a tummy. The problem? I CAN'T STOP. Does anyone have any tips on how to break free from this bad habit?

I found a change in circumstances helped me - ALOT. But I'm aware that's not always as easy for most people.

I suppose it comes down to determination and self discipline. Will power and self control is something I struggled with when it came to food, the first month or so were the hardest, after that, when I started to see results, it upped my motivation, thus making it easier to commit to.

Patience, self control and dedication.
  • ladyzerlina
    Options
    Well to some extent you just have to have self control. Look at the food and ask yourself if you want it because you're hungry or if you want it because you're bored. It's good to indulge sometimes but not every day.

If you find you are hungry, consider shifting your macros so that your diet is mostly protein and fat. The will keep you full longer and will curb cravings.

Some tips:

- To wait and see if the craving passes either wait til the hour (if it's 6:30 wait til 7) and if you still want it, then have it
    - Plan your meals (including snacks) the night before by inputting them into MFP. If you know you'll want that piece of cheesecake for dessert then you can change your food from earlier in the day to compensate.
    - Make yourself a list of things you must do before you have that snack (eg: make your bed, answer emails, sweep the floor). Your house will be very clean and usually by the time you're done it will be mealtime anyway.
    - Don't buy the snacks you know will tempt you.
    - Ask yourself "I know I want this now but will I be happy ten minutes AFTER I've eaten it?" If you think yes, then go for it. If no, then maybe reconsider. You won't be eating it forever (really only a minute or two) so is it worth it to go over your goal for a minute of satisfaction? Your health is more important.
    - Find healthy, low-cal substitutions for the things you want. For example, instead of apple pie, slice some apples and cover them with cinnamon, a little apple juice, and a tbsp of apple sauce. Crush some corn flakes and sprinkle them on top, then bake them in a toaster oven.
    -Try recipes like this: http://www.food.com/recipe/10-calorie-chocolate-miracle-noodle-cookies-478546
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is often a result of eating too little and/or depriving yourself of the things you enjoy eating on a daily basis. What is your weight, height and calorie goal?
  • barryscott29
    Options
    I was like this a few days ago, if I had something like chocolate I couldn't stop myself from eating more sweet foods. I know it sounds hard but you need to remove any item from the house that will tempt you to eat unhealthily, or, if you can't do that, put it all in one cupboard and put a picture of yourself at your heaviest weight in there to discourage you from eating, also, check out http://www.nowloss.com/cravings-chart.htm if you need some more guidance.

Hope all goes well! :smile:
  • ahimsa1990
    ahimsa1990 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In my experience I would say don't give yourself a chance to get hungry. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water from the moment you wake up, have a big breakfast. Snack in between lunch then a big lunch and a healthy snack before dinner. I definitely feel more in control if I am consciously drinking water and have prepared a healthy snacks before I start my day. Also, if you make sure you are having balanced meals with protein, carbs and healthy fats that will fill you up and lessen cravings. Relax about the snacking you have done and try and do better this week! Hope this was a little bit helpful :)
  • ladyzerlina
    Options
    Here's another tip: Watch this video when you have a craving. It'll make it go right away >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbnfOpGDKbU
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. No fun. BUT ... Every morning is a chance to get it right.
    Break up the routine. Shake it up. Get the crap food out of the house. Get yourself out of the house on a bike or for a walk or to rollerskate, whatever appeals. Sounds like stress eating to me -- maybe take some time out to give yourself some TLC. Work on reducing the stress on yourself, whatever it is. Try to figure out why you are sabotaging yourself.
    Have a plan then stick to it.
    Those are things that have worked for me in the past.
    Eventually something clicks and I get back on track.
  • iamaviking007
    iamaviking007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well, I am not an expert but I know how this feels because I have done it myself at times....... Try cutting out sugar and artificial sweeteners. I noticed that on days I drink diet pop I get SO HUNGRY and I read an article somewhere online that when your body gets artificial sweetener in it your brain or something in your body ( sorry can't remember exactly what ) really thinks its getting sugar to use as energy and then when it realizes there is no energy because it had no calories, you crave sugar. I quit drinking diet pop and I am not as hungry anymore. The only thing I drink is coffee in the morning and I do have stevia to sweeten it but I only have 2 cups and only use 1 packet per cup, that doesn't seem to be affecting me. I don't know if its because the stevia is a natural herb that is sweet or if it's because I'm not using that much of it, but it works for me. I also drink filtered water with a few tablespoons of lemon juice in it with ice...... that's it, water and coffee. I also don't usually eat anything with artificial sweeteners in it. I hope that helps you..... give it a try, worked out for me :) ........ please send me a message after a few days and let me know how you're doing.
  • sallysally
    sallysally Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi i am a binge eater and its taken me a while to get a grip on this disorder. i have worked out If i eat high GI foods im the same as you i cant stop snacking all day its like a domino effect so dont start the day with high GI foods (for me this is also the case with fruit, i always have protien with my fruit). Also I try to be more aware as mindless eating is an easy thing to do. Putting data i to MFP accurately helps me be aware and accountable. If its only a few days your lucky you should put practices into place sooner rather than later. Good luck
  • curigiri
    Options
    What did you have in breakfast? eating sugary food starting your day linked to non stop eating behavior, if the answer is yes maybe try to skip it and change it to other type of meal, also when you feeling like want to eat, drink water, its easy,simple and won't hurt you.. more trip to toilet is the downside
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Whilst I don't have the exact same problem (except for days when I seem to have a hollow stomach) here are some strategies:

1. Chuck ALL junk/unhealthy food from your pantry and fridge if possible. If it's not there, you can't access it. Instead stock it with Healthy Foods.
    2. Drink up lots of water (2L) per day. That keeps you pretty full and Before you snack on something drink a glass of water.
    3. Eat more protein - Protein is a "dieter's" best friend. It will keep you full for longer plus it takes longer to break down in your body (which means your body expends more calories breaking it down creating a thermogenic effect)
    4. Complex Carbs - if you are eating white flour products (bread), pasta these are simple carbs that will break down very quickly in your system and make you feel hungry quite soon afterwards despite consuming a large amount. Increase intake to complex carbs like whole wheat cereals, brown rice and multi-grain bread.
    5. Gum - when you want to reach for a piece of food. Find a sugar-free gum to chew on.
    6. For motivation - take a photo of your inspiration (e.g. a dream dress) or stick a photo of you on your pantry/fridge so every time you are tempted to get something you are confronted with your picture.
    7. Think of the consequences - if you eat a cheesecake (think of how many hours of excercise that equates to)
    8. Don't be discouraged - we all fall off the wagon. At least you are acknowledging it, accepting it and you will move on and improve :)

Best of Luck!
  • Making_changes7
    Making_changes7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling it is due to stress. I am in my fifth year of university and EVERY year I gain 15 pounds. I wanted this year to be different and it has to an extent since it's only been the last few weeks that I've been snacking like this. I do work out about 4 times per week but STILL am snacking.

I am 24 years old, 5'2 and 118 llbs. I've been eating around 1400 calories per day.

Reading all your posts already made me feel motivated :) I did a big, healthy grocery shop yesterday and MOST of the crappy foods are gone (since I've been eating them bahaha). I'll post again in a few days and let you know if I've been able to decrease my snacking. I am going to use MFP as a means of being accountable. Hope this works! Thanks for your support.
  • Go4it1985
    Options
    Oh and one more - be cautious with this one...but nuts are great for satiety (keeps you full for AGES). Just be mindful of fat content and don't ingest more than 30grams (I usually shoot for 20 nuts).
  • Go4it1985
    Options
    I have a feeling it is due to stress. I am in my fifth year of university and EVERY year I gain 15 pounds. I wanted this year to be different and it has to an extent since it's only been the last few weeks that I've been snacking like this. I do work out about 4 times per week but STILL am snacking.

I am 24 years old, 5'2 and 118 llbs. I've been eating around 1400 calories per day.

Reading all your posts already made me feel motivated :) I did a big, healthy grocery shop yesterday and MOST of the crappy foods are gone (since I've been eating them bahaha). I'll post again in a few days and let you know if I've been able to decrease my snacking. I am going to use MFP as a means of being accountable. Hope this works! Thanks for your support.

yes, I have a similar problem at work. When I'm stressed or bored, I reach for a snack. I've stocked my work area with healthy stuff and aim for no more than 200 calories per snack.

I split my eating into 5 times a day. 3 main meals with a morning and afternoon snack. My snacks are usually either nuts, yoghurt, raw vege or fruit.

A piece of fruit (like an apple) and corn-thins are really great snacks at under 100 calories.

Best of Luck - you can do it! :D
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    yeah as others have said, get rid of the crap from your house/workplace so that it isn't on your mind saying 'eat me EAT ME'... because it does that with me so badly when it comes to chocolate. I cannot wait to have my own place where I can completely control what's in the cupboard!

And planning snacks is great as well, plus I leave an extra 200 calories after planning the day ahead because I usually have an extra snack ( I LOVE TO EAT!!). My snack in the morning is usually 200g plan fat free yoghurt which DOES NOT have added sugars/sweeteners, with 1tbs ground flax seed, 1tbs chia seeds and about 35g of frozen raspberries. If you mix it in in the morning and leave it for a few hours it is super yummy and very filling :) and about 200cals.

Having protein with fruit seems to work a charm, so cheese with apple or something. Remember to weigh cheese, what you think is a 'serving' (25g) of cheese is probably, sadly, more like 100g so be careful! And be sure to start the day with protein to help keep you fuller for longer - I usually have egg whites and some vegetables or something.

Anyway, sounds like you're on the right track now :) keep it up!
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Here's another tip: Watch this video when you have a craving. It'll make it go right away >.<

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbnfOpGDKbU

lol omg thats crazy!
  • pinkprincess1952
    pinkprincess1952 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... I cant stop eating sweets! I tell myself over and over that I dont need it, but it will sit there and haunt me until I eat something sweet :(
  • CatLoverCindie
    Options
    It could be a medical issue, like your thyroid causing you tobe over hungry. Get your thyroid checked out. Or have you changed any medications? Medications can cause over-eating. I'd make an appointment with your doctor.
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have this problem sometimes... like today >.>

Not eating foods with a Higher Glycemic index helps.

A lot of my eating is due to stress or boredom. I'm trying to find better ways of dealing with both. Usually going to the gym helps; it gives me something to do and it's a healthy outlet for my emotions/stress. There are times when I can't goto the gym. I'm not sure what to do then. I like the idea of making a list of chores that need done before I can eat that another poster mentioned. I'll try that.