How to stay out of trouble on the weekends?

Options
I think I would have a much easier time losing weight if I didn't consider the weekend a "free-for-all". Every time we inch up toward the weekend I say this weekend I will be good and eat healthier, but I feel like i'm allowed to take time off from being healthy on the weekend. How can I get out of this frame of mind!!!!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Do a massive cardio workout on weekend mornings, so you really do make room to indulge.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use to be that way because I eat out of boredom, go outside move around, find a "project" to do around the house if the weather isn't cooperating... this is the 1st weekend I haven't blown it but MAN I have 1 organized kitchen and its so clean I don't want to cook and mess it up!! I think the key is to find something that interests you more than the food that is tempting you, whatever it is good luck.... you can do this!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    I think I would have a much easier time losing weight if I didn't consider the weekend a "free-for-all". Every time we inch up toward the weekend I say this weekend I will be good and eat healthier, but I feel like i'm allowed to take time off from being healthy on the weekend. How can I get out of this frame of mind!!!!
    You're treating your eating style like work, which is why you relax your efforts. Eating shouldn't be work, but a lifestyle. It's fine to indulge a bit more on the weekends or events, but if your routine is to eat correctly during the week and then blow it on the weekends, you'll keep the circle going.
    This is why I tell clients to already include their "fun" foods or drinks into their DAILY routines. That way they don't need to blow it on the weekend.
    Either that or you'll have to make up the calorie difference by exercising more on the weekends.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • olehcat
    olehcat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I could have written this post myself. I have a real problem with this, so I am eagerly awaiting people's responses. My problem is "boredom" with healthy week eating so I feel like I've "earned" the right to indulge on the weekend. *sigh* I know that's not the right attitude at all, and maybe if I allowed myself more leeway during the week, I wouldn't see the weekend as "exciting" when it comes to food.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Eat less during the week, do not eat exercise cals, and save weekends for indulging.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    This is what helps me...

First of all, you have to really want to lose the weight and be healthy.

I have a LARGE family (over 90 nieces and nephews alone). There is always someone having a party or wedding, graduation, etc., with potlucks, cakes, candy, blah blah blah. What I finally figured out is that I had made a choice to eat healthier and I had to have some type of discipline at these multiple events.

I either take my own lean meat or find some there, and have a normal serving of it. If it's chicken, I remove the skin. Usually it's burgers, so I skip the bun. I then look for the healthiest choices of vegetables and again, I sometimes take a veggie or fruit tray just for that. (no one has complained yet!) If there are none, I have approx. 1/2 cup each of 2 sides. That can be anything and usually is cheesy potatoes, potato salad or some kind of pasta.
    So.. after my lean meat and 2 nasty but delicious sides, I will have a normal-portioned dessert, because I planned earlier and worked out extra hard to earn it. Yes, it's a higher calorie meal and is usually packed with sodium, but I still lose weight with this plan.
    I hope this works for you and, hey, it's actually easier to do when dining out because you have more choices. Good luck.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Instead of asking on the internet ask yourself this question! this can only come from within.
  • tinnyhinny
    tinnyhinny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's all In moderatIon. If you eat more, you exercIse more, so you the pounds don't come back. Dont go crazy or anything.