How do you stay full?

Options
My husband finally agreed to try and start working towards a healthy lifestyle to lose some weight. He is currently just over 340lbs so his MFP calorie goal is 2460 after the deficit. Our biggest issue is that we can't seem to fill him up! He earned almost 600 calories from exercise yesterday and still ate over 3500! He ate breakfast, lunch, dinner, and several snacks in between but still went to bed hungry. What we want to know is, can anyone suggest ways to fill him up so that he meets his daily goal but doesn't go over and will allow him to adjust as his goal decreases over time? I really hope that makes sense...Any/all suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The healthier the food, the more you can have of it because lower calories.
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Whole grains, fruits and vegetables (high fiber).
    Also drink lots of water every day
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    For me it's getting enough protein and fat that keeps me from getting hungry. See this post for more info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • ScatterBrainedSpirit
    Options
    For me it's getting enough protein and fat that keeps me from getting hungry. See this post for more info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I will check this out - thank you so much!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I snack on lots of protein and fiber. They keep you full for longer periods of time. I eat a lot of apples, turkey jerky, low calorie protein/fiber bars and plain Greek yogurt mixed with a tiny bit of powdered ranch or dry onion soup mix. Also, I drink tons of water. The hunger drove me nuts at first as well, especially when I initially started lifting, but my body eventually adjusted to it.
  • _Danno_
    _Danno_ Posts: 165
    Options
    Lots of protein and lots of fluids

But I'm afraid some hunger pains are inevitable in the beginning and will power is needed to get through it!
  • ScatterBrainedSpirit
    Options
    I don't know much about it, but would using protein powder help at all?
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Steamed cabbage( fills me up!!!!), salad, apples, bananas, and alot of water!! When I am hungry I drink a glass of water and wait 10 minutes, if I am still hungry I will get a snack but I am usually not. How much water did he drink yesterday?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

^this, for sure: protein & fat are more filling (but try to make them healthy, functional foods). But also make sure he is getting enough water. Sometimes thirst and hunger feel the same. It's not always a parched throat that is telling a person that they are physiologically thirsting. Cutting back on sodium might help with thirst too, but first and foremost is drinking plenty of water often. Other than those things, there could be a psychological component in which he may need to replace eating with some other "joy-seeking", dopamine-producing activity. It is possible to "re-program" so that exercise can be "rewarding" enough to replace food. Or, some kind of playing activity. And of course sex.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about it, but would using protein powder help at all?

It can. For me, I have difficulty getting my protein goal met with only food as I am not a big meat eater and have dairy and soy intolerance. So while I do use protein powder most days to reach my goal, not everyone needs to.

I think the first step would be to figure out his macro goals, trying to use food to reach the goal first and from there deciding if protein powder is needed. Here is another great post for ideas: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • asaunders0923
    Options
    2 words ... Peanut. Butter. Lol :)
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options

What she said! I have to supplement with protein bars and shakes to reach my protein goals.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think the problem might be the kinds of foods he's eating - for me, I rarely if ever feel hungry now that I'm only eating real foods (whereas when I joined MFP the first time I was constantly hungry because it's really hard to feel full eating processed foods that are high in calories and low in nutrition). Now my breakfasts are things like eggs and bacon/sausage, maybe some fruit if I'm still hungry (rare), lunches are usually leftovers, and dinners are things like stir fries made with a huge amount of vegetables, usually chicken, and cooked in butter (yummy AND filling).

I don't know what you're normally eating, but as someone else said, healthier food tends to not only be better for your body but lower in calories (there are obviously some exceptions to this), so if you start transitioning towards eating healthier foods, and upping your protein and fat (this really help with satiation, and don't be afraid that fat will make you fat - that's not how it works!) you might find you get to eat a larger volume of food for less calories (or at least more filling food).

I never have a problem going hungry on this kind of lifestyle; at worst I'm not totally full (but I am satisfied and no longer hungry). And there's no feeling of deprivation because it's really easy to make these foods taste delicious too.
  • roguesword
    roguesword Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll second the protein and fat for fullness. I'm in a similar situation where there are days I just never feel full, or some meals just don't get the job done (SOUP!).

Another tip, consider buying grass fed meat from the farmer. When I could grow my own chicken and eggs they were much more satisfying and kept me full longer. And tastier!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Avoiding processed foods and getting plenty of protein & fat works for me, too. I eat 3 meals per day and find no need for snacking.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    drink loads of tea, normally works for me
  • GnosisGnosis
    Options
    Fiber, too. Fiber has nothing in it nutritionally, but it has substance to it. I have a glass of water with fiber in it with every meal, and that helps me. Note: He will probably be pooping more often, but that's good for you (As long as he makes it to the bathroom)
  • Armagan123
    Armagan123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Protein, if possible in eah meal and snacks. Meat, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, yogurt and hard boiled eggs are good sources.