Belly Fat -_-

Options
Hey, my weight is decreasing but I can seem to loose my belly fat:'( I walk quite a lot, but i'm not really meant to do any serious work outs because I have problems with my back... Does anyone have any secrets to loosing belly fat?

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

This topic comes quite often.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to spot reduce.

Continue eating at a deficit, eventually the fat from your belly will lessened. In my case, it was the last fat spot to go:sad:

Try to increase weight lifting time at the gym. That helped me a lot.

Crunches and sit ups were not helpful for me.

Good luck in your journey
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Try pilates, you can find free videos at fitnessblender.com or youtube. It will help you strengthen your torso and the muscles underneath so they can be nice and toned and when you lose the fat from your TOTAL weight loss. Moisturize the area every day with a stretch marks cream.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by 'serious workouts' but add in some resistance training if you can.
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Hey, my weight is decreasing but I can seem to loose my belly fat:'( I walk quite a lot, but i'm not really meant to do any serious work outs because I have problems with my back... Does anyone have any secrets to loosing belly fat?

That is a tough one. I have had the same struggle. Apparently, belly fat is an indicator of insulin resistance. A low GI, or even lower carb balance of macros might help some. And of course, get whatever exercise and strength training that you can handle.
  • mellieinkc
    Options
    I think for those of us who carry our weight around the middle it is the last place to go. Just keep losing and it will eventually come off. I have back problems too but I still work out almost everyday. I usually do Leslie Sansone videos or go to the gym and walk on the treadmill. Unless your doc has told you not to exercise it really is the best medicine you can take for your back and a strong core will also decrease your pain. Weight around the middle is absolutely the worst thing for low back pain.
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to help, but I am also struggling to lose around the stomach area, and was hoping for some help as well. I have lost 106lb and have kept it off for the last 2yrs, I was doing exercise twice a day, things like Leslie Sansone's dvds, zumba, and other aerobic exercise, these I did in the morning, and then in the evening I was either going for a 9mile ride or an hour brisk walk. I am 53 and with the weight loss I have a lot of excess skin which I hate, but with all this exercise nothing has worked for toning or the belly fat, and to be honest I do feel disheartened. But even so I will not allow myself to pick up the weight I have lost, I think I must just accept because of my age that I will never tone up and also never get rid of the stomach fat, or excess skin.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The body is designed to put fat in the easiest place and hardest place to get rid of. The only way is like someone else said. Eat at a deficit and move. The largest muscles are in your legs. Use them and you will do fine, but it will take time. Anything else you can do will help, deficit and move....
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everyone has the belly fat problem, i lost 115lbs and i dont want my body to get any smaller other than my belly, unfortuantly no one can spot reduce so you just gotta keep at it. most gain weight at their belly, i had most of my weight their as well, so it would make sense for it to be the last to go.
  • mi18agnes
    Options
    It's not possible to spot reduce. :sad: unfortunately. Cardio is essencial. Continue with Cardio exercises and try Pilates. It works for me. I always do Cardio and Pilates, I search it on Youtube, I love Blogilates, Fitness Blender...
    Also, continue to eat clean and drink lots of water!!! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    belly will always be one of the last places to burn fat
    it does suck
  • bayernfan94
    Options
    hi intensity interval training, and CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO is what you need in terms of exercise. what matters just as much, if not it matters just a little bit more than the exercises is WHAT you eat.
  • daisyf123
    daisyf123 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do cardio interval training 5 x per week and one day of weight training. I have the same problem, belly fat. I know you cannot spot reduce fat. but you can spot reduce a muscle. Try to work you abs everyday or when ever you work out. That is what I am doing, and hoping that eventually the belly fat will start to go. The main thing is to eat the correct amount of calories (clean eating) and move, move, move. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Total body fat percentage must get fairly low (about 18-20%) for women to show some muscle in the abdominal region. I'm not quite there yet (just the top ones showing and the bottom is shrinking nicely tho) but I'll keep working on it. Its frustrating as it seems to be the last place to go.
  • tped41
    tped41 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 50 pounds. I did not exercise at all. I eliminated all sugar and bad carbs. That is it. I am 53, and I was not going to fall into the trap of killing myself with exercise only to put the weight back on. Life is life. Things happen. We are not made to run like mice on wheel 7 days a week to keep our weight in check. People die, get sick, work overtime, something comes up, we go on vacation, etc. Pow! The weight is back on. What we can control, however, is our eating. Now, for health's sake I,have a fitbit and I strive to get 10,000 steps in a day. I don't. At most, I have got 6,000. Just try to move some and cut out the junk. All the years of lowfat and killing myself with exercise I finally learned what worked for me. Is my belly still jiggly? Yes. I dislike it. The only thing that would help is a tummy tuck and I am not doing that. I have done my very best, I am happy, I can wear "most" clothes so life is good. At some point, we have to stop watching people on TV and just accept who we are.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

Welcome to the club. Its a royal pain in the *kitten* but alas its usually the last to go.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. You'll eventually get there!
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I have back problems also. Cervical Herniations, L4/L5 Herniation and Fusion in L5/S1. I get Radio Ablation done form my L2-S3 every 6 months. I can tell you from personal experience that with my personal injuries, and starting at 228lbs, a lot of my weight loss was sticking to a deficit and cardio. However, I eventually plateaued at 180 and could not break it. I started lifting weights and doing water aerobics, doing resistance and slowly, I began dead lifting. I know, dead lifting with a bad back is like asking for all sorts of nerve pain and walking like a senior for a few days...only, since I did it after I had done months of toning and core strengthening, I was able to start light and worked my way up to 90 pound dead lifts. Yeah, I had some bone pain and once in a while, but it was way less pain than when I sat on my butt and did nothing and had horrible soreness and pinched nerves. Since I had been working on strengthening those muscles for a year, I was able to do it and my back actually felt better. I had worked on my core and back muscles along with my upper legs and since they were stronger, there was less pressure on my back. Losing all the extra fat and weight helped a lot too. I am not saying that you should go do some dead lifts with a bad back because you may have different injuries and may be at a different place than I was, but the best thing you can do with back injuries is work on your core and upper legs for that extra stability and you will notice your stomach soon flattening. Working with the yoga ball was really fun and it kept a soft support for my back when I did light weights at home. Felt a heck of a lot better than bending to lift, or using the floor for sit ups. I lost my love handles and stomach pouch in 4 months because I did 1000 calorie minimum burn 5 days a week with cardio plus strength straining. It really has a lot to do with cardio burning away the fat in combination with calorie deficit, as well as toning those muscles. You need to do a combination for the best results. For some people, it takes longer than others. I also noticed that when I upped my protein and kept my sugars and fat under the macros limit, I was able to tone more. I started off eating 1200 calories, but my fats and sugars were always over and I was skinny fat. Once I kept those in check and upped the protein in combination with the strength and cardio routines, It all just started melting off as well as my back feeling better. I went from 4 Vicodens a day down to one a day, sometimes one every other day. It was amazing. I also got rid of my Gerd issues, as well as my cholesterol returning to normal levels. '

Depending on your routine, why types of cardio you do, how you are eating, all needs to be accounted for when shedding your final trouble areas. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it and eventually you will lose it. Just be as healthy as you can, do your best, and you will get there eventually.
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Imagine the fat on your body being like the water level draining in a swimming pool, as you lose fat the level in the water goes down and the shallow end of the pool gets exposed first before the deep end, right? Well the deep end of the pool is your belly...

LOL... give it time and it eventually will disappear. It may take up to several months to a year for it to be totally gone...