Everytime I start a workout I get a cold

Options
It doesn't matter if I am working out in a gym, or at home. within a week I end up with a cold, or some sort of sinuse infection. I am not working up a sweat then going out in the cold. any ideas why this would happen.

Replies

• Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    You're stressing your body by exercising, that's all. You don't get colds from going out in the cold (even when wet), you get them from germs and weakened immune systems! If you just keep at it, you'll fight off the cold and be fitter generally. Plenty of Zinc and Vit C should help, but try to get this through your diet rather than supplements. Make sure you have good rest days to recuperate and are eating enough to fuel your workouts and don't let a cold discourage you!

As an aside, have you considered that you might have allergies? I get sinus pain and a sniffly nose and scratchy throat and eyes if I run in summer with all the pollen and grass etc. this sometimes feels like a cold when it's not!
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I used to get that all the time! Now that I know it's a thing my body does, I make sure that if I work out lots, when I come back I get enough rest, eat lots of healthy food, shower and change into fresh clothes. Basically giving my body all it needs to fight off the germs I catch, and not stress out my immune system further than I need to.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I used to get a terrible wheezing cough from running out of doors. Turns out it was asthma.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, stress (even "good stress") can weaken the body's defenses. There is a great book about this, "Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers" by Sapolsky.

And gyms are filthy places. I wipe the machines and the barbells with a wet wipey before I touch them (and after). And I never touch my face without washing my hands first.
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Gary_AquaMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    By the time I typed this and posted this post...someone else posted as well.

Also in addition to the other comments here, know that the gym or workout center, if you use one, can be a germ and/or virus laden place. Please, be sure to exercise (pun intended) with good preventive hygiene. Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, and mouth after handling anything that others have used. In addition to wiping the equipment before you use it, it is good etiquette to wipe down the equipment that you use, in consideration of others. If the center doesn't provide an antibacterial/antiviral spray for wiping, demand that they begin to provide it. Best wishes.
  • fitnessgal1985
    fitnessgal1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP I'm sorry you keep getting sick but I am so glad you are talking about this. I use my elliptical at home however been sick about 5 times since last october. I really dread working out now. From colds, to coughs, to flu etc etc. It's not something I look forward to. Thanks for the tips in the thread. Hope more people will pitch in.

ps I am the main elliptical user, but my bf uses it from time to time as well. I wipe down the handles with a towel.
    Should I use antibacterial wipes even though I'm the main user?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    That happens every time I join a gym. I assume it's the combination of the stress of working out on my immune system and germs at the gym. Don't drive yourself when you're sick, but as long as the cold is not in your chest I've read it's okay to work out.
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Options
    I would. Also, I'm sure you BF is careful but, I'm a guy and I know that we, for the most part, are not as careful as the women in our lives....yes, I know there are exceptions.:bigsmile:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    OP I'm sorry you keep getting sick but I am so glad you are talking about this. I use my elliptical at home however been sick about 5 times since last october. I really dread working out now. From colds, to coughs, to flu etc etc. It's not something I look forward to. Thanks for the tips in the thread. Hope more people will pitch in.

ps I am the main elliptical user, but my bf uses it from time to time as well. I wipe down the handles with a towel.

I suppose it can't hurt. It didn't help me at the gym, but those machines are used by so many people. Maybe you should ask your bf to wash his/her hands before using your equipment.
  • fitnessgal1985
    Options
    i'll admit I'm a big slob so yea I'll make sure to let him know to have clean hands but that means I'll have to clean my hands just as much.
    Being a slob is not just a guy thing lol.
  • bumblebums
    Options
    I have a few more things to add.

First, washing your hands and not touching your face (a.k.a. "Hand Awareness") go a long way towards protecting one from colds and the flu, but they will not help 100% if people sneeze on you. In at least one study of how the common cold spreads, a huge percentage of participants who got the virus as a nasal spray developed a cold (over 90%, if I recall correctly--don't have the time to look up the original study).

Second, regular moderate exercise actually boosts your immune system, and I think one of the mechanisms is stress reduction. Extreme exercise such as marathon running can increase respiratory tract infections. For this one, I actually have a reference:

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/8164529

So, OP and everyone else--exercise!

[She said, wiping her nose. -- I actually have a mild cold right now, but it is my first in about a year. Irony, you are mine.]
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Options
    i'll admit I'm a big slob so yea I'll make sure to let him know to have clean hands but that means I'll have to clean my hands just as much.Being a slob is not just a guy thing lol.
    LOL :laugh:
  • fitnessgal1985
    Options
    Any one know if a multi vitamin or an immune boosting supplement would help keep illnesses away?

(Along with the previously mentioned stuff)
  • bumblebums
    Options
    Any one know if a multi vitamin or an immune boosting supplement would help keep illnesses away?

My GP once suggested taking zinc supplements. That's the only one I know of that has been shown to be effective, though the effect wasn't huge...
  • enigmaneo
    enigmaneo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I kept having this problem. I lowered the intensity of my workouts. I originally felt like i wasn't working out but I did it more often. Eventually I as able to increase and I'm back to normal now.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Wash hands often....that's your first defense of course!

Gyms are germ-laden (as others have posted) and you're exposed no matter how careful you are. Eventually you build better immunity. When I first started working in the ER I was sick all the time. Now, it's much better (although a direct cough to the face by a should-know-better-adult did give me the flu this year...grrrr)

And lastly, if you're wheezing or coughing all the time, ask your doctor about the possibility of exercised-induced asthma.

Keep up the workouts!
  • fitnessgal1985
    Options

My GP once suggested taking zinc supplements. That's the only one I know of that has been shown to be effective, though the effect wasn't huge...
    Going to look into that. Thanks
  • Gary_AquaMan
    Options

Going to look into that. Thanks
    I use Zicam at the first sign of a cold...helps me a lot...but not if I don't start it soon enough.
  • heatherota
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question and thank you all for your responses. I have the same problem and will take all the advice and see if it helps me get through this. It is frustrating because I am so energized to start loosing the weight then suddenly, three weeks go by as I recover... and I have to start all over again.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Your body breaks down during training....the break down of Amino Acids weakends the immune system....L-Glutimine in particular...