Simple ideas for Halloween noob

Options
ClementineGeorg
ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
In my country Halloween is an... `imported` holiday so it's not that celebrated... maybe a clubs organizing Halloween themed parties and kindergarden children having small parties for the fun of it.

I have actually never been to a Halloween party because... it never camed up.

But now I am working at a multinational company and they organize a Halloween party after working hours on Friday. And I don't know what to wear.

So maybe people with more Halloween experience can help me find a solution on the go. I need a Halloween dress-up that:
- shouldn't be too `costumy`; it's at my work place and althought we dress casually (I'm an software engineer) I feel like a over the top costume will be too much;
- shouldn't be too sexy or in any other way inappropriate or offensive;
- preferable it would be easy to incorporate in the outfit I would wear that day in the working hours; I could get changed and have make up in the bathroom and it's a very clean bathroom... but it's a bathroom, so it can be uncomfortable to change;
- preferable it would require minimum shopping or items easy to buy in a few days; I tried looking the few costume rental available, but most adult female items begin their name with `sexy .... `.
- would require easy make-up; I'm not a make-up guru :D
- should be something easy to recognize... I mean... it's kind off not so nice when everybody wonders what you are dress like

The only `costume` item I own are two Venetian like masks made by a friend that I display in my library showcase.

So if you like... please share your simple ideas for Halloween dress-up. :D Photos are very welcomed.

And maybe this thread would help others find easy to put together Halloween ideas.
:smile:

Side note: A friend of mine said the a cat dress-up would be nice. And I agreed. I thought of wearing some soft wool grey dress with a pair of cat ears (actually a cat ears headband) and maybe a tail and some cat-like make-up.
But I searched all week-end and couldn't find any cat accessories so this idea seems impossible at this moment.

Replies

• Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I live in the States, so Halloween is in full swing here. But I too tend to dress a little more conservatively for my costume at work because I work in human services. No one wants to tell a full blown skeleton or Winnie the Pooh or Cinderella about how they were molested as a child! So I tend to wear clothing that still is somewhat professional (a black dress, slacks and a white blouse) but I add accessories and maybe embellish with make up I already have. For example, i was a cowgirl where I wore jeans (okay, a bit casual but they were clean and neat), a store-bought dress up cowboy hat for children, a bandana around my neck and my hair in braided pigtails. Here are some of my other ideas.

One year i was a fairy with cheap store-bough wings, a wand and a tiara.

This year I'm going to be a witch in a black dress, a witch's hat, a broom, green eyeshadow and dark lipstick.

And a cat is not too hard. If you can find some felt or fabric (even an old t-shirt) and some cardboard, all you need to do is cut out some triangles, glue them to the cardboard so they stand up and attach them to a head band. Then cut out a tail in felt, too. You can draw whiskers on your face with an eye pencil if you want.

One year I didn't prepare and I just wore and ethnic outfit (a salwar kameez) to work. Ya, it wasn't a costume per se but it was unusual to my co-workers so they thought it was fun!
  • AnotherOrangeCat
    Options
    Fairy tale characters can be easy - Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood, Snow Queen etc. You need a cheap costume wig, makeup and some cape/hat - things easy to throw over your normal clothes. Or you might be able to style your own hair, wear hats or crowns.

Another perennial favorite is a pirate - eye patch, tricorne hat with Jolly Roger and funny makeup. Wear a white silk blouse and you're pretty much there :) You could be a girl pirate in a skirt with boots, or wear pants and draw a mustache on your face. Carry a toy sword.

Halloween classic - witch. Whatever is the stereotype of the witch where you live. Generally, messy hair and green makeup would be recognizable, wear black clothes and throw something cape-like over it. Draw a wart on your nose and bring a broom!

If it's a software company - game or fantasy characters might go over well :) You can probably make some accessories from cardboard, foil and other handy household things.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for the nice ideas!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    For the love of god, don't dress in a home made ghost costume :|
    My mom made some... And we walked around, got some comments I wasn't expecting, so I took that right off.

I suggest something with tons of glitter :) Hmm, fairy princess, perhaps.
  • lucillehuynh
    Options
    I was actually just thinking of dressing up as a Greek goddess. Got my maxi dress in place, made a head crown with basil leaves and twigs (haha) and I'm going simple on the make-up. Just basic extended eyeliner (I buy my make up from e.l.f) and some red lipstick.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Zombie can be easy, because the worse the makeup is, the better it looks. Smudge black eyeshadow all around your eye socket, and brush a little in your temples and under your cheekbones. Or for more gore.... http://www.isthisbliss.com/zombie-makeup-tips/

Devil horns and a blue dress for the song, "Devil with the Blue Dress On."

The cutest idea I've seen were four people in striped shirts, berets, neckscarves... carrying a baguette and bottle of champagne, wearing Kiss makeup. "French Kiss."
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    This site www.takebackhalloween.org has great ideas.