HELP! away on a short course-no gym, unfamiliar place

Options
please help me, i need some advices. ive been watching what i eat and working out (mainly cardio + stretches) for 1 month and ive lost 3 kgs. I need to lose 9kgs more. ive been doin so well, and now i have to go for a short course ( 5 days ) in a hotel on an island. im gonna be just sitting around listening to numbers of talks n seminars in the hotel halls, which i know wont make me become active as i always am. ive checked with the hotel management , they confirmed that they DO NOT HAVE A GYM! that freaks me out. thinking of going out for runs (by the beach ) but thats kinda dangerous , running alone in a place im not familiar with.
to have lost 3 kgs was a lot of hard work, i dont want my weight to come bouncing back. ( NOOOOO...sobs sobs) ..
will i gain weight when i cant workout ? all i can do now is to watch what i eat, but, since i will be staying in a hotel, the food will be provided by the management... dis is so sad and frustrating. i hate this. please.. any words for me? =(

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Sit-ups, push-ups, jumping jacks...? You don't need a gym to work out or lose weight!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Make the best food choices you can. Weight loss is more about diet than working out. Even if you make it out with no gain (but no loss) you will be fine :)
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Bring a workout dvd with you if there is tv and dvd player in the room. Surely there are parking lots that would be safe to walk around, I bet there are stairs in the hotel, and maybe you could find someone in the seminars that feel the same way; as you make small talk and find someone you are comfortable with (same sex?), you could bring it up and ask. You could check at the desk when you go out and tell them what time you expect to be back and check in when you return. People are quite understanding and helpful, but you have to ask.

Have a great time!
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Turn on the radio or TV. Get up and dance line dance fast dance use lots of energy dancing. If you gave an I phone download edmondo application it wuklvtrack your exercise. Also do set ups push ups jumping hacks like old gym classes your body will enjoy doing something different. Go for it. Take a Juno rope along
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Make the best choices you can from the food offered, take small portions and remember that 5 days isn't going to destroy your progress.
  • Apicius
    Apicius Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I went on a course ages ago in a not nice end of town and stayed in multistory student accommodation. it rained the whole time as well. I ended up doing laps of the balconies and up and down stairs each night, walking at lunchtime etc.

I can't remember if I lost weight but at least I felt like I was doing something. Even in your room sit ups, pushups, take a skipping rope.

Make the food a chance to try salads, fruits and things you haven't tried before. I guess this is a chance to prove to yourself you have made changes for life, not just a diet that you stop and regain the weight.

A course away is a nice chance to reassess - try meditating on your balcony or something new, an island getaway sounds like a fantastic treat to me!
  • Diamond_lucy
    Diamond_lucy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't despair! You've done really well up until now.
    I'm assuming you can take your laptop with you? There's some great workout dvds you could do in your room, even if it would be low impact - you don't want complaints from the neighbours! You can do all your stretches too.
    About the food, as long as you opt for healthy things you should be ok. All you can eat buffets are not all bad as long as you remember what it is you are working so hard to achieve.
    I used to work away alot in hotels and its always a good idea to go online and look up the surrounding area and whats available.

Hope it all goes well and look forward to hearing how you've got on.
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can run in place, do some aerobic dancing. Use a Youtube video if you need to! There are Zumba videos for sure.

Wait! I forgot!! Ask if the hotel has a pool. Even if you don't swim you can easily do some water jogging in the shallow end. I do water aerobics and it's a great work out. After a few laps of water jogging I've usually got my heart rate up! Even if you don't want to get in the water, if there are people by the pool, you can probably do a brisk walk around that area safely. And you can keep track of how many "laps" you do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    any words for me? =(

I travel a lot with work, so have some familiarity with this sort of thing.

I'd suggest just giving the running a go, you don't need to go far, do interval work in an area that's visible to others or something like that. Sea swimming perhaps?

If you really dont want to do that then some form of bodyweight training in your room. There are a number of apps that can help out with that; Jefit, Gain Fitness and others. Exercise bands could help with that and don't take up much space in the baggage.

As far as the diet is concerned, self control... You pick from what's provided and make it as reasonable as possible.