Starting Over for Good

Options
Well, it's been a LONG time since I've been serious about weight loss and now my health is paying for it! This time is going to be so different from the past...it has to be! I saw my doctor last week and after labwork and an ultrasound he said I'm showing liver and gallbladder problems. Hopefully, I'm at the beginning of what's going on and a change in my lifestyle will improve all my recent results...and my life. I've never been "frightened" into taking better care of myself, but that's pretty much what I'm facing now. He's told me I HAVE to stop eating carbs - other than what I get from fruits and veggies only. I'm pretty overwhelmed right now!!

Lisa

Replies

• Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey! You came to the right place, you can do it!!!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Lisa.

Did the doctor give you any guidelines for carbs to eat/not to eat? Some carbs are good for you. For example, can you not eat bread at all or can you eat whole wheat grain breads? What about proteins that have some carbs too, such as legumes, brown rice, beans?

It seems if you ate no carbs at all other than fruits and veggies your diet would be high in glucose and very limited.

That said, welcome and you can learn to eat healthier, lose your weight, and get a healthier you!
  • cjack00
    Options
    Thanks Runner! My doctor's exact words were, "you have to stop eating carbs...bread, rice, pasta, refined food, potatoes, and corn. you need to eat only fruits, vegetables, beans, and meat. that's where your carbs need to be coming from." Let me also share that I'm a Registered Nurse and am a Certified Diabetes Educator so my discussion with my MD was quite extensive. I'm not diabetic (yet) but have had high triglyerides for a couple of years and he's been trying to get me to change my diet for a really long time since a high carb diet has been effecting me for years. This time, since I was having abdominal pain and needed tests done, the results of those tests spoke for themselves.

Thanks for the welcome!!
  • rhodieridge13
    rhodieridge13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    good luck, you can do it, and you will find wonderful support in the MFP community. feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Txsteach
    Txsteach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good for you taking control of your health and committing to making those hard but necessary life changes!
  • Mavalicous
    Mavalicous Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to see you're taking the first steps to becoming a healthier person for the sake of yourself and your loved one's. I also had health problems and I am a diabetic. I ate bad, didn't exercise and ballooned to around 335. (when I was diagnosed with diabetes).

I am now 227 lb's and still going and since I started eating healthy and exercising my blood sugar has been restored to normal levels without the use of any medication.

Take control of your life one step at a time, you can do it. I'm rooting for you, and good luck!!
  • Janabanana1128
    Janabanana1128 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking control over your life gurl :)

I also have the same kind of problem, I'm a diabetic and sometimes it is REALLY hard to take right steps. When other friends were drinking sweet wine or going to restaurant in order to eat some kind of sweet bomb dessert, I also did it. Now I have few kilos more than I should, and lots of sugar in my blood :/ I would like to meet some great ppl here, and hopefully we will motivate each other in order to live better life! :)
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are ready to get healthy. Scared straight works. We are here to help!

Nancy
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    you got this. it is simple. Stay focussed
    Continue making the right choices and the results will follow.
    Remember "right" choice may not always be the "perfect" choice. don't get down.... keep trekking