My name is Will and I'm a recovering fatass.

Options
Hey everyone. As the title of this thread states, my name is Will and I'm a recovering fatass. Long story short, I'm a 23 year old working in professional sports. Since graduating college last December, I've let myself go in the worst way. My eating habits are laughable and I've almost forgot what exercise is.

I work in a high pressure environment and spend about three hours a day commuting to and from the office. I'm not using that as an excuse but just giving you a little background on my situation.

I probably have the lowest self esteem of anyone I've ever met. I don't remember a time where I felt comfortable or confident in my body. My social life is pretty much non existent. I'd estimate that I spend close to 90% of my free time in my room at home (I still live with my parents). My circle of friends has dwindled over the years for all sorts of reasons (kids, marriage, school or work out of state - though not necessarily in that order).

I imagine that was pretty depressing to read. Believe me, it was depressing to write. I'm looking to change my life. Not just physically but mentally as well. At the end of day, I'm still a young guy with a lot to look forward to. Hopefully this is the first step to a special journey.

I'd love to hear from you guys and go at this together. Thanks!

Replies

• KirbyT16
    KirbyT16 Posts: 411
    Options
    Hey Will, your title made me smile- thanks for that- I am a recovering fatass too! My goals for losing weight are also not just physical. I want to be happier and change my outlook on life as well. Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me! I am fairly new, but pretty active on here :)
  • mommary1
    mommary1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Will... I hear you on the self esteem... Hang in there! Try to stay positive you WILL achieve your goals...I fell off the fitness/better eating bandwagon and gained all my weight plus extra.. So I decided to start up again today.. Enough is enough and doesn't help when your clothes are digging into you :0)

Good luck on your journey!
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    This is the funniest thread title I've read in a while! Haha! I too am a recovering fatass! Nice to meet you! Haha!

I know what you mean about being busy with work and stuff. The weight creeps on you over time, from sitting at work, driving to and from work, not planning meals out and just grabbing fast food or eating junk at home most of the time, etc. Couple that with additional responsibilities at home like kids and stuff and its super easy to pack on the weight. I blimped out and got as high as 228 lbs a couple years ago. Now I'm down to 198 lbs and plan to lose another 10-20 lbs.

The bottom line is you have to make eating healthy and exercising a priority in your life, just like work or paying bills. It's just something you have to do, whether you want to that day or not, you need to take care of yourself. I think if you approach it that way, it'll become a habit and it'll be easy to maintain that habit once its in place and rolling.

You can probably make a lot of friends at the gym if you joined one. Or maybe you could take some karate classes or even some yoga classes (good way to meet girls). All good ways to get yourself out there and talking with other folks with similar interests and goals.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hey, Will, your title made me laugh. Just last week I put a note on my desk that said, "Put it down, Fatty" because I keep eating junk food at work.

Can you move next to your job? Can you rent an apartment or a room or share a house within a mile of your work? That would free up 3 hours out of your day. I'm a little old lady and decided to walk to work every day instead of using my car. I've lost 40 pounds this year just walking.

Good luck.... you can do this!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Hi there, as they say the first step is admitting you've got a problem. Since you've done that and you've also decided you want to do something about it then you're on the right track.

Now the next thing you need to do is come up with a plan of action. Diet is THE key factor to get sorted if you are after weight loss and the thing that I would suggest you focus on first. Spend a bit of time reflecting on what areas of your diet need a bit of work, come up with a list of things about your diet you'd like to change. Pick one thing to work on at a time. Small changes can make a huge difference. Pick one thing that you are about 80-90% confident you can change and then do it! Once you've got that sorted pick another one.

A good place to start is replacing liquid calories with water or just cutting back on your portion sizes of "unhelathy" meals. Instead of getting a burger and fries, just get the burger or get a salad instead of the fries. Little changes to begin with. If you try to go all out it can be a struggle and a shock

When you get around to adding in exercise, you need to make it a priority. Schedule in workout times and make it as difficult as possible to avoid going to begin with. Focus on what you can do instead of what you can't. Got 10mins to exercise - great! Better than nothing. Once again build up slowly

Good luck
  • cubbie111
    cubbie111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Will that was funny. Andrea I can relate to what you say though.
  • Go4it1985
    Go4it1985 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Welcome Will! Glad you are doing something about it :)

I can relate to some of what you are saying.

I don't recall ever feeling comfortable in my body. I've always been a "big" girl since 10 years old. Between 12 y.o. to my early 20s I always was 73kg (or approx 145lbs).

A stressful job, foot and back problems helped be the final nail in the coffin and when I finally braved the scales at the doctors it was a wake up call. My feet can't take the weight and I had to do something about it.

Fortunately I'm now in less stressful job.
  • Lemon2742140
    Options
    Love the title of this thread! I can so relate! I'm back on the wagon (please note I didn't say "gravy train" lol). I fear giving myself a so-called break will put all my progress so far right into the garbage can. I agree with the previous poster that said it's about small changes. I started with replacing soda & juices with plain old water. Try to eat better choices & just exercise when you can fit it in. Life isn't about being perfect; it's a learning experience. The support here should help too. Feel free to add me (or anyone) I'm new here too, as of yesterday :)
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi Will, I truly believe that if want something bad enough, with the right mental attitude it is possible to reach your goal.

I've been working on my healthy way of living since July last year and have had many ups and downs. I used to have many excuses of why I couldn't exercise or eat healthy. Until one day when I was at the doctors and told that due to some medical issues it was either lose the weight or be at risk of having a stroke. Being told this at 41 with two kids was the biggest wake up call that I needed.

I stopped with the excuses and just worked out what I needed to change in my life to get fit and healthy. I still haven't reached goal but I've achieved so many other things that I am just as proud of.

Good luck, it can be done. Have a look at some of the success stories on here and you'll get so much inspiration.

Sending through a friend request. ????????
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Oh my god the "recovering fatass" line got me. I'm sending in a friend request just for that line alone if you don't mind.

I can relate to the dwindling circle of friends (in my case since moving overseas) and my commute is 1.5 hours now total, but used to be 3 hours out of my day, too.
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Will your story has made me realize every step we take toward losing the weight is a good one.I already new this but i have been getting down recently because the weight loss is slow.I have read everyones comments to you and it has made me smile again and want to keep going .I'm 51 and yo yo'ed all my life ,don't wait that long to get healthy and enjoy life.
  • liezele0323
    liezele0323 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    HI Will! I am like everyone else, I love the topic title. I am a recovering fatass too. So you made the first big step and here you are! We are all here to support you on your journey! I know it is difficult between high pressures of work and life in general but remember, it takes small steps to make the journey to where you want to go :smile:
    Find some sort of exercise that you can fit into your schedule, even if it is just walking around the block. Every little thing counts and helps you along the way. Definitely plan your meals as well to help avoid fast foods or quick bites to eat somewhere. And EVEN if you do have fast foods or any other junk, don't let it ruin your day. Pick yourself up and start back or burn off the calories some how. Just don't let t set you back. Everybody slips or splurges every so often, just don't beat yourself up over it!

We are all here for the same reason so let's make it happen :happy:
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Request sent :smile:
  • tdavies174
    Options
    hi will - well i'm a recovering yo-yoing fatass lol!!

loving this site and all the help it gives so sent a friend request and we can all help each other

keep smiling ;) x
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    hahah nice thread, thanks for that!
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey Will,

Loved that title....couldn't resist coming to check it out ;)

Honestly, I felt like I was reading something I wrote myself months ago. I have the same goals as you....changing my whole life- physically and mentally. My weight has gone way down in the last 4.5 months, but I am still working on the rest. It's a long road but it's been worth it so far, so I can only imagine what more change will bring. I'm going to add you, hope that's alright...would be great to get to know ya :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Welcome Will! You will find yourself going from recovering to striving daily!
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi Will, Im on the wrong thread! Im a recovering fatgut, i have been spared the fat *kitten*.....do i still qualify for recovering fat thread lol
    Im back on the yellow brick road and i have to stay strong when i feel low about myself and hey i slang the insults at myself..i found it doesnt hurt as much. The progress i had in 3 weeks of burning the fat before i stopped because of life again...it has given me the motivation :) Feel free to add.

Day 1: Fit test for Insanity! Done!
  • hellakitties
    hellakitties Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey, Will. We have a few similarities. I also have a three-hour commute (sometimes more!) to and from work, live with my parents (which is the norm until marriage in my society, so I guess it's not so bad), and can't quite be classified as a social butterfly.

I'm really happy that you're making positive changes in your life. Good luck reaching your goals! I'm rooting for you! :)
  • bonnie_bear
    Options
    LOL I love the title! I'm not yet a fatass, but I'm beginning to head that way EEEK so I want to turn around NOW before it gets any worse! Good luck man, I know what you mean about the self-esteem, and this is definitely the best way to build it ;)
    Oh and a note on the "depressing to write" thing - you've probably realised this but writing depressing stuff about the past kills motivation (or it does for me anyway); one thing that gets me fired up for fitness is telling people (close friends, mentors) about my planned future. This way I get excited about it, and also feel that they are holding me accountable (even though they probably aren't, ha-ha!). Hey, that's one reason why we're on here though, isn't it? Enjoy the journey bro!

#getripped!!