I can't run - what else should I do?

Options
I walk all the time. Been walking everywhere for years. Yeah its healthy and all that but Ill never lose weight walking because my body is so unbelievably used to it. Trust me - Ive tried walking to lose weight for nearly a year and its not working.

Everyone I know runs, at least some of the time. Skinny girls run. Guys run. Larger neighbors trying to lose weight run. Ive been reading success stories and every single one of those women run too.

I can't run. Literally. My knees have been degrading for years due to a joint disease. I can walk fine, can manage stairs if I dont overdo it, but absolutely cannot handle running, jumping, lunges, and anything that requires my knee banging around. It took years before I could handle squats, but now my legs are just strong enough that I can do some squats as long as I dont do them two days in a row.

Anyways - I need to step up my cardio because I have stopped losing weight. Walking 13,000 steps a day is doing nothing for me. Sometimes I try to do interval walking but my shins hurt quickly and I look funny speed walking around all those runners out there.

Any advice for me?

Replies

• rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Your diary is closed. I upped my calories and broke my plateau...
  • madaughe
    madaughe Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Excerise bike
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just started using this diet app again, so yeah my diet stuff is closed. I am eating more than enough - trying to cut down my portion sizes to get that under control. While simultaneously trying to ramp up my cardio because ive gotten a bit lazy lately.

Im just frustrated because it seems like everyone always talks about running, and its hard to find good fitness advice for those of us who just cant run at all. And I cant find any weight training circuits that dont include lunges. Lunges hurt me so badly. Having "good form" is just about impossible for me because of my knees, so if I even try them I end up hurting myself. Its so annoying.

I just want to find alternatives that I can actually do.
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    I dont run either, not cuz I cant but cuz I dont want to. Although I do run back and forth between 2 chairs in my living room for 20 mins (great workout). You CAN lose weight by walking if you just speed up your walking speed a bit. My suggestion would be to do aerobics at home either on video or on youtube. and STRENGTH TRAINING STRENGTH TRAINING STRENGTH TRAINING. No workout is going to help you if there is no muscle there to help speed up your metabolism. Strenth training is slow movements (ie squats, lunges) that you do with your own body weight tha helps strengthen your muscles and speed up your metabolism. It also helps you burn fat 100X faster.
    but nothing is going to work for you if you have already convinced yourself that its not! Good luck!
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I dont run either, not cuz I cant but cuz I dont want to. Although I do run back and forth between 2 chairs in my living room for 20 mins (great workout). You CAN lose weight by walking if you just speed up your walking speed a bit. My suggestion would be to do aerobics at home either on video or on youtube. and STRENGTH TRAINING STRENGTH TRAINING STRENGTH TRAINING. No workout is going to help you if there is no muscle there to help speed up your metabolism. Strenth training is slow movements (ie squats, lunges) that you do with your own body weight tha helps strengthen your muscles and speed up your metabolism. It also helps you burn fat 100X faster.
    but nothing is going to work for you if you have already convinced yourself that its not! Good luck!

I appreciate the advice - but as I said I also cannot do lunges. I am able to do small amounts of squats. And I am trying to learn how to do strength training. Right now its more discipline to actually do it than anything else.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Cardio workouts that are not running: Elliptical? Swimming? Water Aerobics? Other low impact aerobics? Zumba?

How to lose weight: Calorie deficient. Consistency. Time.
  • HexyleneGlycol
    Options
    You can also try doing shakeology if your body doesnt allow you to get enough adequate exercise to actually lose weight. It will cost you but its worth it!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Swiming, biking, rowing, yoga, pilates, strength training. I love to run, but I've been gaining weight since I'm over 30 miles a week and always hungry, so I'm making sure to add other activities. I do body weight strength. Plenty you can do without squats and lunges, push ups, pull ups, chin ups, planks, crunches, tricep dips, romanian deadlifts, etc.
  • jovannadahling
    jovannadahling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    walking is better than running and swimming is fantastic fun