Do you count calories on date night?

Options
I'm newly married and my husband and I go out about once a week on a Friday date night. I have struggled with the option I have given myself: whether or not to count calories one night a week. Date night.
Usually it consists of sushi...or some type of yummy food like that, and then afterwords we almost always go out to ice cream.

Should I count and let myself go over my limit, or should I just not worry about it?

Do you guys give yourself a time to "not count" every once in a while? Or do you find that it gets you off track?

Replies

• lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one cheat meal a week where I allow myself whatever I want, but I do track it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    HI MK,

I count all calories, including exercise calories, no matter what. The weekly total is what counts, so if I know we are going to dinner on Friday night, I will eat a bit less a few days during the week so that it won't be a problem if I go over that one day.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Going by your profile picture you don't look like you have a lot to lose. I might be wrong, but in the picture you look really well.

I would second the saving calories idea. I also don't think you need to bring food scales to the restaurant, but try and estimate the best you can and log it. I mean if you don't lose anything after 4 weeks or gain weight then you've got to reassess, but until then I would just go with it.
  • mkarrington77
    Options
    No...I don't have a lot to lose...Just 20 pounds...That picture was ten pounds ago on my wedding day ;)
    I just want to stay on top of things before I gain any more weight and have that infamous newly-wed weight gain. My weight does fluctuate easily, so I need to start watching what I eat before I gain any more and regret it ;))
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Counting when you eat out can be a major PITA. Here's what I'd do: I'd count one time to know approx. how many calories I eat on Fridays, then act like every Friday is about the same (assuming it is).

So say your limit is 1500 cals daily and on Fridays you eat ~2400 cals (+900), then all you have to do is to eat at a 150 cals daily deficit (1350 total) for the rest of the week and it evens out.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Well, we do the same so what I do is plan where we are going. If I know we are going out for sushi, I either get a glass of plum wine or hot tea -- usually hot tea because I love it. :smile: Then I know I will have something to fill me like miso soup. Then I order my sushi and a side of veggies. You can even dip the veggies in soy sauce, sriracha, or a bit of shrimp sauce. If you're going for ice cream, just get the small or even a kid's size. You can have what you want, just smaller! You can also reduce your intake by 50 to 100 for a few days before and after if you want a few extra for that day. It works for me and still lets us go out. No need to stress so much. And, if you go over a bit, in the long term it's not really a big deal. Just balance it out. If it helps you, look at your 'Reports' section for calories and work out your average. Hope this helped!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I allow a few days out of the year where I don't count calories. Other than that, I plan for splurges on a weekly basis by restricting in other places.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes, count it. Just make healthier choices - a couple simple rolls of sushi, a small ice cream cup. If you eat lightly the rest of the day, it should fit in your calories. You can't use every night out as an excuse, IMO.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    If you only have 20 pounds you want to lose, that one date night could EASILY put you over on calories. Unfortunately, whether you count them or not, your body still will. I have finally gotten myself to count any time I go out to lunch or dinner, and it helps a LOT to look up the nutritional facts BEFORE you go out so you have a game plan. Good luck :)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am neurotic but I do count them except for once in a blue moon...but I like all kinds of food so if I can decide what I want to eat before we go out I do and I have found that I am AS satisfied with the kids sized treat at an ice cream shop as I would have been with a giant treat and thus I can still have ice cream.

Ask yourself if having more ice cream makes it taste better than a reasonable little serving?

Since my hubby and I are not newlyweds and seldom manage the time for a date night now that we have 4 school aged children, if a date night comes up I am more inclined to have a free night. I still make smart choices and try to stay in a good calorie range but I do not worry as much if I go over.
  • allylbrown
    Options
    nope!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would say count it all... i try to eat 100 cals less sunday to thursday so i have extra for the weekend.

as long as you're ina deficit at the end of the week you should lose weight!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I do count everything, but I don't let a fun time out with my husband be a cause for worry or stress. If you accurately track, after a while you can see how YOUR body really trends. I just finished a 30 day tracking sheet to actually test if my true TDEE was the same as the online calculator I use (Scooby's calculator: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/). Some days I ate less than 1200 (crazy, stupid work days) and some days I ate close to 4000 (date nights!), but my average was 2487 (about 150/day more than the calculator predicted.) I can safely assume my weekly calorie amount at maintainence is 17000 and I can adjust from there if I overindulge a little one day. It's really a simple process if you let it be. :)

Have fun on your date night!
  • RebeccaBecca26
    Options
    No I do not allow my self to cheep. I don't think it's conducive to a life style change to allow yourself you gorge one night. ALTHOUGH- Going out to eat should not be a problem if you fit it in your calories for the day.

Plan ahead of time what you will be eating. You may not be able to eat 10 pieces of sushi + rice + + + BUT you may be able to have 5 and then a small ice cream cone... Planning is KEY!! You must PLAN!

*Friend me if you like.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to go over, but I still track it (as best as I can). I want to be honest with myself :)
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Yesterday i went to the cinema with my sister. I had snacks, and I didn't track it. But I eat at 4-500 calorie deficit every day, so one day of eating what I want, but again I do practice portion control and stop eating when I'm no longer hungry.