Anyone living outside the states and trying to use MFP?

Options
I'm currently living in China and I'm finding it to be a real pain to lose weight. I have no idea what kind of calories are in the foods that I eat and I can't always afford to make western food 'cause a lot of the stuff used is way expensive compared to just cooking Chinese. Any one else having these issues or have any suggestions? I know I sometimes cheat when I'm too lazy to actually cook, but other than that I still have issues. For example going to my in-laws home is always fun cause you never know how much of anything they used. Will portion control really do much it the made a stirfry with a ton of soy bean oil? Just wondering cause I can't seem to put a dent in my weight at all and it is driving me a bit crazy =p

Replies

• Arloma
    Arloma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing this from outside the US. Where I live, the kinds of foods I would love to eat more of - fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, seeds etc. - cost considerably more than the states so I end up having to compromise and become very creative. Still, I used MFP for a shot time earlier this year and lost 4 lbs. the first six weeks or so. I've also tried WW before that and had very good results, reaching my goal weight. I quite WW because I couldn't afford the monthly payments any longer and found MFP to offer more or less the same experience for free. So yes, I know it's possible to have success with the program overseas. If possible for you, I would try to stick to the fruits and vegetables, chicken stir fry and that sort of thing and find the nearest food that matches when you go to log. That's what I have to do basically every day/ I believe I've heard that what we in the Western world call 'Chinese food' is not at all what the Chinese eat which is supposedly healthier so give it some time and you will probably see the difference before too long. Best to you over there.
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Im in South Africa and using the app :)

Must say there are SOOO many processed foods on here it drives me crazy when I am just looking for a tomato or a DAMN POTATO!! But look for more generic things. Luckily I cook most of my meals from scratch, so raw foods are a lot easier to find than and packaged foods.

Good luck!
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm in Tanzania - I guess when eating out or with inlaws - I assume LOTS of oil for the most part. The biggest thing is omming up with a strategy of how to eat less over all if you don't have much control over what you are being fed (i spend half my time at a mining camp in west africa and have no control over food available or portions servered - its hard!). I find It mostly works better for me to eat one big meal and one small meal most days, then a few bits of fruit or nuts if I am doing hard labour, or just coffee if not. Its a matter of working out a routine that works for you. I know it can be particuarily difficult if you will insult your inlaws if you don't eat much of their food, I get this a lot with goat :D good thing I like it - another one that is diffcult to find on MFP!
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    i usually put my own food on here (you have a page where you can calculate all the calories and divide them by portions)

or just look for home made or generic :)
  • mrsharris7411
    Options
    I am in Kuwait and have the same problem. I have found it works for me to pick something close to what I'm eating. For example, if I get a packaged meal at the Sultan Center and it has chicken and potatoes then I might pick one of Marie Calendar's meals that has about the same items in it. Of course the spices are different and everything is prepared a little different, but so far it's been working for me.

I also cook a lot so I'll put in my own recipes, with a similar brand product when necesary, or a use a generic one.

Good Luck! :)
  • Sundaynz
    Sundaynz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in New Zealand MFP actually has a lot of the foods that you can buy here. But generally we are eating mostly fresh fruit/vege and meat so it's not too difficult.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If you can avoid pre-packaged, processed foods it shouldn't be a problem at all. Fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, etc. Calories are the same everywhere.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You lot do realize that most things have been listed & those that are not you can list yourself? Most things like vege & fruit are kinda simple cause it's not like the calories change depending on country. Then most packaging has calories on it, Then there are a TON of calorie websites that you can find what is not listed.

It's not hard to use MFP at all.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Im in South Africa and using the app :)

Must say there are SOOO many processed foods on here it drives me crazy when I am just looking for a tomato or a DAMN POTATO!! But look for more generic things. Luckily I cook most of my meals from scratch, so raw foods are a lot easier to find than and packaged foods.

Good luck!

I also live in South Africa, but I seem to be having a lot of luck using the barcode scanner on the MFP App. Most things are on the database, and if you cannot find the brand you are using, I just stick to searching for Woolworths and the ingredient. Should be pretty close :drinker:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Italy for 28 years and started MFP less than a year ago. Logging food is going OK. It's the temptation everywhere here that is hard. I laugh when I read the comments and someone says "I'm a foodie". EVERYONE in Italy is a foodie, and they've been so for generations. Talk to a Sicilian woman about cooking, and you'll see what I mean.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i'm in israel

most of what i eat is homemade/fresh anyway, so i look up "generic" or "raw".

Some things (like yogurts, cheese, certain crackers) are listed already, or i add them to the data base using the info on the package.

i rarely eat out, so that's less of a problem and if i have to i estimate and use somethign that sounds close to what i'm eating, even if it's a brand name that we don't get here. or i find the calorie number on a local list of foods and find something that has the same/close number

for the OP - can you tell your MIL that you want to learn to cook? and come there with a scale and measuring cup? this way you can see how much oil is in there and be able to calculate at least some of your meals.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I think you can get close enough of a guess of ingredients and quantity to be able to log your food. Just do your best and over-estimate if you're having trouble losing weight. My problem with weight loss was from not estimating portions correctly, and eating back too many exercise cals.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    China's food is far different from what the western world think it is. The food you get from a Chinese takeaway/restaurant in the west is more like an amalgamation of Hong Kong and South East Asian food. There is also massive variations depending on where you are in China i.e. Sichuan is super spicy. I find that snack foods in China are healthier - they have lots of nuts and seeds, vacuum packed tofu and chicken, and dried meats. Also a limited choice of tempting chocolate - it's either Dove or Snickers I've found. However bread (excluding steamed bread) is very sweet, restaurant food is generally dripping in oil and the meat is more offal, gristle, and bone rather than "choice cuts, i.e fillet". They eat a lot of rice and noodles (I've been told by many friends that "a Chinese person does not feel satisfied if they do not get a rice fill"). They seem to have a very high carb diet yet all stay so slim (or slimmer than the west anyways). It is very difficult if eating out to judge your calorie intake and yes buying some "western' foods in supermarkets is very expensive (especially cheese & butter, I've practically given up cheese).

That being said....the markets here are wonderful - jammed packed full of super cheap fruit and veggies. I shop mostly at the local market and manage to find most of what I want to make myself a western meal (it also forces me to practice Mandarin). Plus, if you go see a butcher at the market who has a freezer you'll probably be able to pick up a bag of huge chicken breast fillets for about 25 Kwai (Yuan). I visit Walmart once every two weeks to a month to buy brown rice, tuna, Italian herbs etc - things I've not yet been able to find at the local markets. I limit my 'eating out' so that I know what I'm putting in me but, generally speaking, I think that the Chinese custom of sharing food, using little bowls and so on, actually means you eat less because you eat slower and feel fuller sooner.

Oh...and I guess you could always help with cooking at your in-laws and see exactly what's going in the meal. That would be a great experience!

And you could cook in bulk so that you have food ready for the lazy days.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have lived in Italy for 28 years and started MFP less than a year ago. Logging food is going OK. It's the temptation everywhere here that is hard. I laugh when I read the comments and someone says "I'm a foodie". EVERYONE in Italy is a foodie, and they've been so for generations. Talk to a Sicilian woman about cooking, and you'll see what I mean.

had the best vaccation this year in sicilia :)
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am in Kuwait and have the same problem. I have found it works for me to pick something close to what I'm eating. For example, if I get a packaged meal at the Sultan Center and it has chicken and potatoes then I might pick one of Marie Calendar's meals that has about the same items in it. Of course the spices are different and everything is prepared a little different, but so far it's been working for me.

I also cook a lot so I'll put in my own recipes, with a similar brand product when necesary, or a use a generic one.

Good Luck! :)

Kuwait here, too. Finding nutritional info on some of the local stuff is a nightmare, and the things that are imported from the U.S. or UK is so bloody expensive! Fortunately, I order a lot of my food online and have it shipped in, but most of the time I am just guessing. It hasn't hurt and as long as moderation is key then I am fine. I also steer very clear of most Middle Eastern food - it is SOOOOO carb heavy and full of cream sauces that I would die! lol
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yep, I am doing mine from Tokyo, Japan. It can be a right pain in the *kitten*. My suggestion is to get a scale and eat as much raw veggies and such as you can since they are great fr you and easy to look up. I also use the recipe builder and since it allows you to add new foods you can even add Asian products. It's a pain but you only have to do it once. Of course you end up eating a lot of the same things....
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thailand.

Yep, I fully understand. Mall food court, street food, restaurants, eating at friends/family homes, etc, are a big issue especially outside of "Western" food areas. Not only stir fries and oil, but also mysterious chili pastes, unrecognizable foods, copious hidden salt and sugar content, etc., not to mention huge amounts of MSG. For local non-Western foods it may take longer to search but you can make good guesses on macro content from a web search and adjusting by seeing or asking how it was prepared. E.g. When I can not find anything else and have not prepared, I can judge the protein, fat, and carbs, in a portion of garlic fried Bamboo Worms which are a local tasty insect snack :laugh: (Like little_lisid's goat, unlikely find these on the MFP food database. Guess I should add them sometime!) In case you are wondering, they are high in protein and fiber and low in fat. Ideal in an emergency when you can not find a local 7-11 for a can of tuna in spring water and packet of almonds to go with your street-baked sweet potato, which would be preferable.

I try to make my own food and eat at home mostly, and prepare food for when you are out and about. With visiting/out with friends/family etc., sometimes you just have to explain that you do not want to offend or be impolite but you are tracking your food and have to refrain from eating, take your own food, or only eat the select things that you can judge best (raw, boiled or baked meats, veg, pulses, fruits, nuts, etc) and then make up (i.e. balance, not invent) your macro's later in the day/the following day.

Not ideal but these inconveniences have to be made if you want to reach your goal.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    If you look at the back of the container of whatever food it is you're eating, the nutritional info WILL be there. Just use that information with a scale measuring your food and you're fine.
  • SamanthaH10
    SamanthaH10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you look at the back of the container of whatever food it is you're eating, the nutritional info WILL be there. Just use that information with a scale measuring your food and you're fine.

Obviously someone who doesn't live outside the Western world.

No, it is NOT on the back of every container as it is not a law in most other countries. And, sometimes, if it is there, it is not in English.
  • FitterBody
    FitterBody Posts: 367 Member
    Options

Not sure where you are but that is not always the case as that info is not mandatory in many countries. If you are lucky you get it (sometimes means you need to translate it into English) but no laws here to mandate contents, let alone calories/macros on packaging.

(Oops, Sorry for the duplication, but was typing when the above post was posted)