Help ! Not loosing any weight

Options
Hi,

Height : 5ft 5"
Weight : 178 Lbs
Target weight : 132 Lbs

Calories : (Daily goal)1,860 - (consumed) 1,499 = 361 deficit

Workouts: Weight training 4 times a week / No cardio.

I am on this calorie deficit for the past 10 days but there is no decrease in bodyweight weight or any decrease in areas like waist.

Leaving playing some sports in my teens I haven't done any form of cardio ever. I am too lazy to do any form of cardio. Honestly I don't even go for walks unless necessary.

Is there a way to loose weight in my case ?

Replies

• gracielaaa123
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I told myself the same thing: "I'm lazy. I'll just eat less, and the weight will come off." Well....not for me. I went from eating about 2500 calories a day with no physical activity to about 500 (please, no lectures...) Anyway, I only lost about 3 pounds that entire month. After that month, I slowly started incorporating cardio. I started slow with walks to the thrift store and hikes every other day. That second month, I raised my calories to about 900 while incorporating some cardio. Third month, I kicked it into gear. I live about a mile and a half from my college campus, so I walked to and from class every day, sometimes twice a day. So that totaled to about 4-8 miles of walking per day. About halfway through that month, I began going to the gym. I started slowly, and now I'm running about 3 miles a day along with my walks to campus. I've lost almost 30 pounds since June, but at my biggest I was 198. (I'm at about 125-128 lbs, but honestly I don't even weigh myself because it's discouraging if I don't hit my goals) I went from a size 9 to a 3 over a 4.5 month period, and ultimately, from a size 15 to a 3 (:

CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    please tell you arent advocating 900 cal intake a day, plus cardio on top of that? is this that "Death Wish" eating plan i've heard so much about?
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If you just started weight training, your muscle might be retaining water. So you might have already lost fat but the scale isnt moving because of the water retention.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Is 1,860 the daily goal that MFP suggests? If so, then you are supposed to eat them all; your deficit is already substracted from that.
    Cardio is NOT needed for fat loss. The only thing that counts is a calorie deficit, which can be created through diet only.

Do you use a food scale to weigh what you eat?
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I told myself the same thing: "I'm lazy. I'll just eat less, and the weight will come off." Well....not for me. I went from eating about 2500 calories a day with no physical activity to about 500 (please, no lectures...) Anyway, I only lost about 3 pounds that entire month. After that month, I slowly started incorporating cardio. I started slow with walks to the thrift store and hikes every other day. That second month, I raised my calories to about 900 while incorporating some cardio. Third month, I kicked it into gear. I live about a mile and a half from my college campus, so I walked to and from class every day, sometimes twice a day. So that totaled to about 4-8 miles of walking per day. About halfway through that month, I began going to the gym. I started slowly, and now I'm running about 3 miles a day along with my walks to campus. I've lost almost 30 pounds since June, but at my biggest I was 198. (I'm at about 125-128 lbs, but honestly I don't even weigh myself because it's discouraging if I don't hit my goals) I went from a size 9 to a 3 over a 4.5 month period, and ultimately, from a size 15 to a 3 (:

CARDIO CARDIO CARDIO!
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    This ^^^ is terrible advice!

Op give it some more time. You've only been at it for 10 days.
  • aryan007
    Options
    Is 1,860 the daily goal that MFP suggests? If so, then you are supposed to eat them all; your deficit is already substracted from that.
    Cardio is NOT needed for fat loss. The only thing that counts is a calorie deficit, which can be created through diet only.

Do you use a food scale to weigh what you eat?

Yes 1860 is the daily goal suggested by MFP. Okay I will try n add a snack to reach that.

No I don't have a food scale.
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    I'd advise a food scale - the difference between actual portions and guesstimates is huge lol.
    Personally I love cardio but if its not for you I won't lecture although you might change your mind when you drop weight, I certainly did and had more energy :)
  • aryan007
    Options
    If you just started weight training, your muscle might be retaining water. So you might have already lost fat but the scale isnt moving because of the water retention.

I don't think its only water retention. Have look at my pic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6jt573dd7y1jacb/28th Oct 2013.jpeg
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    weigh your food, you are probably eating more than you think.
  • aryan007
    Options
    weigh your food, you are probably eating more than you think.

Frankly it will become very difficult to eat less further. I am already fighting hunger slightly. I used to eat a lot of white rice. I have completely stopped eating white rice now so I don't feel "full" now but thats still manageable.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You don't need to do cardio to lose weight - you're fine with your weight training. (And you don't actually need to exercise at all - though I know most people prefer to.)

If you're still very hungry, I'd have a look at what you're putting in your body. Some calorie dense foods just aren't that filling or sustaining - you don't get good bang for your buck. For instance if you're having sweet foods, I find they fill me briefly, but not for any length of time.

A good mix of plenty of veg, good quality protein, and a healthy portion of carbs should give you enough food to feel good on.

Do double check your calorie allowance against a TDEE calculator, and do make sure that you eat reasonably close to your calorie goal.

The advice on using a food scale is very important, especially for calorie dense food. I don't bother weighing carrots and cauliflower but I certainly weigh cheeses, other proteins, and high carb foods. Because consistently overestimating a little each time you eat these foods can really add up over a day or a week. You'll sabotage your efforts if you don't weigh your foods.

And it's lose, not loose. People round these parts get wild about that. :-)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    There should be a requirement to make your diary public if you're wondering why you can't lose weight. I mean, loose weight. Oh wait, the first one was right ;-)
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When you start a weight training program you often gain a few pounds. Your muscles are adjusting to working out and you get some "noob gains." Give it a month or two and the scale will start to go down.

I personally don't have a food scale. They are helpful for figuring out if you're logging things wrong. Sometimes what we think is an oz is really more like 3, and that can really put your calories off if it's a calorie dense food.

Instead of a scale I read labels. It's just basic math to look at how many servings a container has and divide the container up. If the package has 4 servings, then I look and see how many I've probably eaten. If half the package is gone, I've eaten 2 servings. It's basic math. When it comes to things like peanut-butter, eyeing 1/15th a jar is difficult. That's a job for a scale or measuring spoon (or dividing it up into smaller containers that make it visually easier to see the difference.)
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It's just basic math to look at how many servings a container has and divide the container up. If the package has 4 servings, then I look and see how many I've probably eaten. If half the package is half gone, I've eaten 2 servings. It's basic math.

I don't want to sound like an *kitten* but if the package has 4 servings and half of it is half gone then that would be 1 (meaning you've eaten 3 if it was full when you started). Half of half of 4 = 1. Basic math.
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's just basic math to look at how many servings a container has and divide the container up. If the package has 4 servings, then I look and see how many I've probably eaten. If half the package is half gone, I've eaten 2 servings. It's basic math.

I don't want to sound like an *kitten* but if the package has 4 servings and half of it is half gone then that would be 1 (meaning you've eaten 3 if it was full when you started). Half of half of 4 = 1. Basic math.

I had an extra half in my sentence and edited it out. Yay for multitasking and being dead tired. I get off work in 3 hours. yay for a 15 hour shift. If you don't want to sound like an *kitten*, then don't sound like one.