The Dreaded Plateau - I've hurt my Metabolism :(

Options
Hello all,

Last year, I went on a pretty extreme fitness regime. I was 61kg, I am 165 cm's tall and though my BMI is Healthy I am near the upper range and if I went down to say 56-57, would still be in that.

I ate 3 meals of 300 calories a day, and I walked each day for half an hour and naturally, lost 7 kg in 3 months. I really did look fantastic, I have always eaten good food and even though the meals were tiny, they were comprised of lean protein, vegetables and whole grain where possible (I don't eat dairy, I think its bad for you). Everything was great, then I met my boyfriend, and slowly forgot about my diet, and needless to say, it has been roughly 1.5 years since I was that weight and I think maybe 5-6 months ago I went back to the same 61kg I still eat healthily, just obviously more food, I stopped excercising and now I am more wobbly than last time, and also, I find it almost IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight.

I have started by going back to pilates and Bikram (I do bikram once a week and pilates 2 times a week) and will up that each week, I eat 1200 calories a day and WAIT! I Know what you will say (that's very low, it was all very low) and I am aware of this.

Thing is, I actually had this body test done 6 months ago, she said I had an abnormally slow metabolism. My Body fat is 30.5% though I have no fat around my organs almost at all which is good and I think I have a small frame because I can touch (if not overlap) all my fingers around my wrist.. My arms and legs are slim but my stomach/chest is my problem... I looked so good at 56kg and in proportion.. I feel like I may not lose weight eating 1200 cal, orif I do it will be incredibly slow and I figure I have F#*!ed up my metabolism... I admit there have been times where I have forgotten to eat for half a day, then eaten a huge meal before bed for example... Though usually I do eat/snack enough. Do you think I should start trying to eat more calories per day? At the moment I have breakfast, lunch and dinner and a snack twice a day. I find it hard to imagine how I can up my calorie intake to any more than this... or forcing in a nother meal.. does anyone have any tips? I want to lose but worry I won't...

Here is my daily meal example:

Breakf: half a cup of organic granola w soy milk

snack: apple

Lunch: salad, 1 salad spoon worth of pasta, one slice of bread, soup

snack: 5 Almonds or cup of veg broth soup and one black coffee

dinner: Varies (I love cooking) vegetable stir-fry, or, lentil soup with chickpeas, kale and spinach for example

Sighhh :(

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I really don't know how you could cram another bite into that diet! Are you serious? A 2 yr old would be ravenous on that. Eat some food! Eat a whole cup of granola, add 2 tbsps. of pasta to your salad, eat 10 almonds.
  • asifabdul
    Options
    2 reasons why you are back at 61kg

1. You're eating at maintenance or above for your weight.
    2. Your diet is high in carbs. You need to eat more protein.
  • veinbraider
    Options
    Yeah I think I need more protein definitely, its just hard because I don't eat meat/ Only fish!.

And Monkey41, It might not seem like a lot but I genuinely struggle to eat more, and am close to the unhealthy weight for my age and height bracket. I was thinking I could raise my calorie intake for some time, and then lower it slowly again to a higher maintenance?

No idea how to fix this
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Awww, you're nesting <3
    That's adorable, but sadly can harm you in the long run :(
    I made this mistake, myself. But, I am back on track now. Just had to make a comment :)
    Best of luck!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think I need more protein definitely, its just hard because I don't eat meat/ Only fish!.

And Monkey41, It might not seem like a lot but I genuinely struggle to eat more, and am close to the unhealthy weight for my age and height bracket. I was thinking I could raise my calorie intake for some time, and then lower it slowly again to a higher maintenance?

No idea how to fix this
    You fix it by eating more.

Go back to maintenance.

For starters 14x CURRENT body weight is a good start. However since your metabolism has slowed, start at 12 x current body weight. Then increase to 13x current body weight the next week.

Macros:
    .8 x current weight for protein.
    .25-35 x current for fat.
    Your remaining calories /4 for carbs.

Give it a few weeks and *kitten* your progress.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    what sort of body test was it and what was the exact number?
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I calculated that you should be eating about 1400 cals a day. Read up online about ways to jump start your metabolism. Exercising for 2 minutes every hour, drinking cold water, two cups of coffee a day, ginseng, ginger, cinnamon, keto/low carb diet, and walking for at least 15 minutes after every full meal. Good luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just eat some food
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    OK so first of all :

Thing is, I actually had this body test done 6 months ago, she said I had an abnormally slow metabolism.

what? what body test? who said that you have an abnormally slow metablisim?

and second of all:
    My Body fat is 30.5% though I have no fat around my organs almost at all which is good and I think I have a small frame because I can touch (if not overlap) all my fingers around my wrist..
    What? what does your fingers around the wrist have to do with anything?

and third of all:
    Though usually I do eat/snack enough. Do you think I should start trying to eat more calories per day? At the moment I have breakfast, lunch and dinner and a snack twice a day. I find it hard to imagine how I can up my calorie intake to any more than this... or forcing in a nother meal.. does anyone have any tips? I want to lose but worry I won't...
    are you kidding me? you aren't eating anything, and you are having little to no protein. you don't eat meat? so eat fish, cheese, nuts, tofu, beans. seriously. i don't know if you hurt your metabolism or not - but for sure you aren't eating enough so start there.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options

No idea how to fix this

you have the right idea: up your calories slowly, then eat at what you should have as maintenance, and then lower them again to start losing again. add 100-200 calories each day for a week, then 100-200 more the next week etc. You will have some initial gain but it will come off easy enough later. First fix your metabolism, then worry about your weight :)

If you are worried about BF% then try doing strength exercises to build up some muscle. You wont get bulky :flowerforyou:
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well if you are at a healthy bmi why are you taking the pain of eating at a deficit and exercising. just enjoy life and keep a check that weight doesnot go up.
    Why are you aiming for 1200 calories. Eat like a normal person.
  • feistymoon
    Options
    My suggestion would be to go see a doctor or nutritionist and have them offer some guidance.
  • veinbraider
    Options
    Firstly,

Can I just say thank you all so much!

I am going to try by going up 200 cal each weak, reaching a healthy maintenance level that is significantly higher, and then slowly cutting it down to a healthy amount which will still be more than I eat now anyways.

Some questions that popped up:

1. The woman who told me was a nurse who came to my office.
    2. The wrist test tells you how big your bone frame is (coupled with many other measurements of course)
    3. I know I have to eat more, I’m not underweight in any way so its not like I am intentionally starving myself and yes have plateaud in weight for some time now so would like to fix this

I guess if this doesn’t work I will consult a nutritionist as I get a bit confused with the percentages per meal ect.

Thank you all again
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/vegetarian-protein-sources.html

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healthnutrition/tp/protein.htm
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    2. The wrist test tells you how big your bone frame is (coupled with many other measurements of course)

Measuring your wrist with a tape measure will tell you what your frame size is. Using your finger is meaningless, since they are probably proportional to your size. My fingers overlap, but my wrists are so big I can't wear most watches or bracelets.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Measuring your wrist with a tape measure will tell you what your frame size is. Using your finger is meaningless, since they are probably proportional to your size. My fingers overlap, but my wrists are so big I can't wear most watches or bracelets.

The wrist test is pointless because if you are carrying fat you're wrist will be proportionately larger as well. Funny how an obese person will tell you they just have a large frame and then the lose a lot of weight and find out that they really don't! The human skeleton based varies by less than 10% dependent on height from person to person.
  • veinbraider
    Options
    I don't have a large frame though, no watches or bracelets fit me and I have a problem of having weak wrists and ankles (I do exercises to target my ankles specifically because I roll them often) and have been told my frame is a little smaller (asian) and my body does not distribute fat evenly thats for sure.

Rai007, Allthough I am in my healthy BMI range I am very close to the top of it, so no, I’m not satisfied and that is something that eventually could be a problem as I was overweight as a teenager and probably have the capabilities over time to gain. I was thinking I could do the Zone diet? I just need to exercise and find a meal plan where it tells me what to eat because I am quite bad at nutrition and planning this and that way would by default start eating more. I’m not aiming for 1200, I’m aiming for 1500 actually. I usually end up around 1200, or less. Yesterday I ate a bowl of pasta and a salad for lunch and when I was making dinner (a big curry and brown rice) realized I hadn’t eaten since that, nor had I had breakfast, and was so frustrated.

I think I’ll try find a meal plan that is set out for me and start setting reminders in my phone. I definitely have an apple shaped body, and have fat all around my abdominal which has always been the major problem, legs and arms have always been nice. I need to lower my body fat percentage really.

I’m not trying to lose a large amount of weight, the amount I’m hoping for (maybe 3-4 kilos) would be enough to help with muscle definition coupled I presume with exercise (which I will need to ask a trainer aboutI guess).

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.
  • veinbraider
    Options
    thanks!
  • 10manda86
    10manda86 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    For my age and height I am severely over weight. The Dr looked at me, measured me and told me if I tried to hit the so called 'healthy' weight range for my height I would be too skinny. Girl stop worrying about the numbers and focus on how you feel!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    you want muscle definition, so are you training your muscles too? As well as eating more as already recommend, lifting weights can hopefully help fuel things in your body. If you can eat more and lift more, you may gain some muscle (depends on TDEE which sounds low atm considering you're struggling to lose weight).

If you want a body like a model (I do too) then train like one. I bet you all 'model' routines involve strength training. Unless you're going for the coathanger model... I'm thinkin more Miranda Kerr or Giselle Budchen (sorry spelling)

Good luck, and get eating! Here I am eating 1750 and starving to death (and hence going to eat more), I don't know how you can survive on so little!

ps congrats on bf :) the right one can always bring out the best!