Aldi

Options
I shop every month at aldi can anyone recommend any food I should buy that is low calorie :)

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Vegetables & Fruit
  • Msbarnes91
    Msbarnes91 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love the Fit and Active products at Aldi's.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I use both Lidl and Aldi and their foods are as good as most mainstream supermarkets.

Usually I stay away from ready meals, pies and pizza's but thats personal choice at the moment.

Things that I buy from Aldi (or Lidl) as part of my attempt to eat healthier are

Bran Flakes
    Fruit & Veg (especially the special offers)
    Fresh Chicken and Turkey steaks
    Greek Yogurt (I go full fat but again its all about moderation)
    Frozen Salmon and Tuna Steaks (no sauce as I make my own)
    Bottled Water (I really need to use tap water)
    Tinned fish
    Rollmop Herrings
    The occasional bottle of red wine (if its good enough for the Mediterranean diet.......)
    Crisp breads

Basically I will buy anything providing it fits with what I want to do, be warned though I have become a food label junky :happy:
  • mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    Aldi has been a bit hit and miss for me.

I know they have great sales on fruits and veg. When I see a deal on fruit, I buy tons of it and freeze 3/4 of it. The frozen fruit is great as a snack itself, to throw in yogurt as a low cal topping, or to throw in smoothies (and then you don't need the ice).

With the veggies are on sale, I try to eat as much of it raw, but I also cook the rest once I think it's almost time for them to turn. That way I can extend their life in the fridge.

I know none of us are made of money; these tips have helped me from throwing my produce away and hopefully it'll help you too.

As far as what to buy... the closer you can get to the raw product, the better. Frozen foods and premade things are loaded with preservatives, salt, and of course, unneccessary calories.

I have started cooking so much of my meals and it has helped a lot. Yes, it's a ton of work, but staying busy also helps me from eating mindlessly.

You'll get to where you need to be soon : )
  • njbh86
    njbh86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Their gammon steaks are very tasty. Reasonably low calorie (even more so if you trim the fat), but salty so be aware you'll retain water the next day. So don't eat them the day before weigh-day!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like their cold cereal. The nutritional information is easy to read and often it has less sugar than the brand cereals.
  • Lawmom74
    Lawmom74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I buy their lowfat cottage cheese, yogurts, and they also sell Bolthouse juices for a lot less than my usual supermarket. I'm also a big fan of their multigrain sandwich thins.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I loathe my local Aldi's store, but I go in there for one specific thing: Dakota's Pride Mild Chili Beans

They are 55 cents per can, all natural ingredients and no added sugar. And they taste wonderful! Every time I make chili, I use a few cups of cooked-from-dry kidney beans and then add a can of the Dakota's. Awesome flavor :)
  • AshleyNWilliams84
    Options
    Just shopped there yesterday. I got:
    Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    Broccoli
    Squash
    Zucchini
    Spinach
    Tomatoes
    Lunch Buddies Pineapple Cups (70 cals)
    Lunch Buddies Mixed Fruit Cups ( 70 cals)
    Chicken Breasts
    Frozen Fish
    Apples
    Bananas
    Strawberries
    Goat Cheese (70 cals/oz)

I usually get fruit and veggies here but I have heard that Aldi's Fit and Active line is pretty good. I haven't tried it personally but maybe you could check them out. :)
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I'm currently eating through an Aldi's fit and active turkey tenderloin (rotisserie flavor) - and yum.

I have some of the fit and active turkey smoked sausage - will have to get back to you on that one. Haven't tested it.

I usually buy baking soda, dark chocolate, pork skins (hubster can live on those), eggs (when my egg lady is out), butter (when 1.99/lb), cream when in season (holidays), cheeses of all kinds, goat cheese too, cottage cheese sometimes (I like full fat large curd - that's not what they carry so usually stick to Kroger for that), whole chickens, PRODUCE PRODUCE PRODUCE, canned veggies, turkey chili (YUM), vegetarian chili (It's ok - I like their turkey better), TP and PT sometimes, dog biscuits (cause my pups love their brand of milkbones), fit and active wraps, frozen veggies, pepperoni, hummus (love their quartet hummus), turkey chicken and beef lunchmeat.

Things I hate at Aldi's - canned fruit is in sugar only at mine unless it's pineapple, no full fat greek yogurt in mine, no unsweetened almond milk in mine, no low cal bread. No natural PB without sugar added. Beaumont coffee (their brand) for drip coffee pots - awful!
  • Cheekies_
    Cheekies_ Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call them "low calorie" necessarily, but me and my family love, love, love the Fit & Active Protein Meal bars. They run 170-180 calories, with 23 carbs and 10 proteins. They really are handy to have around for when I am running and don't have time to fix a fresh snack. Also, they help when I have a craving for chocolate. My favs are the Chocolatey Chip and Chocolate Peanut Butter. Taste like candy bars. :smile: