Belly Dancing as a workout.

Options
Has anyone on here done this as a workout? I've been wondering, since my friend suggested it, but she's always been thin regardless of everything, so I'm not sure if I should take her word for it to help with weight-loss, or if I'd just end up learning to dance and that's pretty much it lol. (Actually, she suggested I ask, so I'm doing that haha).

1.) Have you tried it or considered it?
2.) What was your level of fitness at, if you tried it? (Mine's.. Eh... lol.)
3.) Can someone suggest some good videos? Was going to hit amazon, but not sure what to get?

Replies

• AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't tried belly dancing videos/classes, but I want to! Several of my friends belly dance and they've gotten incredible core strength from it as well as gaining muscle in their butt and thighs. Check out well known dancers like Rachel Brice and you'll see how much strength is needed to do some of those moves.

I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for videos and the like!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Hehe, I hope there are people that have done it and can let us know of their results. I'm really interested in knowing about this. :)
  • JennieHB
    JennieHB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a semi professional belly dancer................

i have been dancing this style of dance for 6 years, i would not say one class a week will help you to lose weight. but 1 class of anything will not help you to lose weight.
    i never started out belly dancing to lose weight and it baffles me as to why any one would think that is the case.

Along side my belly dancing i also train in the gym 3 to 4 times a week, doing anything from circuits, resistance training and even boxing.
    high cardio classes will help you to lose weight along with a well balanced diet :)

hope this helps
  • TattedInStilettos
    TattedInStilettos Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Well I did belly dancing as a form of cardio alone and I lost 15lbs in one month doing it... everybody body is very different and you may have different results but it works for me... and not only that the movements make you feel sexy so I say go for it...
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Options
    It's very interesting and fun, but not really very intense, compared to other dance forms...at least that was my experience.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Rachel Brice was my instructor :D Of course, I recommend her DVDs, lol.

I started it when I needed to find unusual exercises for my spine and abs, because I have a back problem. I think it is amazing for abs and spine strength/flexibility, depending on which style you do. If the hip motions are mainly ab led, that's obviously going to work the abs more than when they are leg led.

For more strength sort of results, try the floorwork. There are DVDs for that. Man, it takes some serious strength to do many of those moves.

If you want to burn more calories and get fit in a cardio sort of way, do the drills/dances with a lot of shimmies and layering. If you shimmy hard for 5 minutes, believe me, you are burning calories, lol.

There is a website where you can try out instruction for not much $$$. This is a youtube link, but it gives the info. This is Rachel :D and these are some of the strength moves possible (but please don't try the drops!) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTe1X8fCrNw
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I'm not gonna lie, I'm more than a bit envious right now! She is so incredible and stunning to watch, I'd love to get even one lesson from her! You know, if I had any belly dancing skills to speak of. I should probably work on that first, lol.
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

I'm not gonna lie, I'm more than a bit envious right now! She is so incredible and stunning to watch, I'd love to get even one lesson from her! You know, if I had any belly dancing skills to speak of. I should probably work on that first, lol.

She is soooo amazing. And really nice :)

Oh, I could hardly keep up, believe me. And I still don't know how she looks like she does as she moves, because nobody else can do it quite the same way. She may just be a different species altogether ;)
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am a semi professional belly dancer................

i have been dancing this style of dance for 6 years, i would not say one class a week will help you to lose weight. but 1 class of anything will not help you to lose weight.
    i never started out belly dancing to lose weight and it baffles me as to why any one would think that is the case.

Maybe because 1 class a week will help you get in better shape, even more so if you are smart enough to practice what you learned during the rest of the week. How much time did you spend working on getting those shimmies and belly rolls down? Was it all done in class with your teacher?

The big thing is to find a physical activity that holds your interest, and makes you want to keep doing it. For some people that is running, others it bores to tears. Some people like lifting, some like swimming, some like walking, climbing, biking, yoga, kick boxing, Zumba, Belly Dancing, Pole Dancing, Irish Dancing, Swing Dancing, Burlesque, or even Line Dancing.
    Find a thing that you like, that gets you moving, makes you feel better (And maybe even sexier), and do it.

Will it make you lose weight? Well, it sure ain't going to make you get fat.
  • ThePlight
    Options
    Oh wow, replies yay :)
    Personally, I'll try anything that makes me burn the day after.
    If I don't feel the burn the next day, I didn't push myself enough.
    After looking on youtube, going to see if they have any Rachel Brice dance DVDs on amazon.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options

I started it when I needed to find unusual exercises for my spine and abs, because I have a back problem. I think it is amazing for abs and spine strength/flexibility, depending on which style you do. If the hip motions are mainly ab led, that's obviously going to work the abs more than when they are leg led.

For more strength sort of results, try the floorwork. There are DVDs for that. Man, it takes some serious strength to do many of those moves.

If you want to burn more calories and get fit in a cardio sort of way, do the drills/dances with a lot of shimmies and layering. If you shimmy hard for 5 minutes, believe me, you are burning calories, lol.

There is a website where you can try out instruction for not much $$$. This is a youtube link, but it gives the info. This is Rachel :D and these are some of the strength moves possible (but please don't try the drops!) :

I have actually shied away from belly dancing, even though it looks so fun, specifically because I have back and hip problems. You're giving me hope that I could do it and it might be beneficial!
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My mom was a professional belly dancer when I was a kid. She danced all over europe, in Turkey, and Cairo ( this was in the 80's),
    She had a six pack abs and was the envy of all the moms for her physique.
    Find a supportive troupe and go for it :)
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    God bless belly dancers!
  • ThePlight
    Options
    My mom was a professional belly dancer when I was a kid. She danced all over europe, in Turkey, and Cairo ( this was in the 80's),
    She had a six pack abs and was the envy of all the moms for her physique.
    Find a supportive troupe and go for it :)
    Oh my, that is amazing :)
    So glad that so many are able to turn this art into their profession as well :)
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

I have actually shied away from belly dancing, even though it looks so fun, specifically because I have back and hip problems. You're giving me hope that I could do it and it might be beneficial!

You should definitely try it if your doctor thinks it's OK! I am able to move the muscles in my back without the sort of contractions required in weight lifting or even swimming, and that is the sweet spot for my nerve problem (upper back/neck). If I contract too hard, the nerves in a couple of spots go insane. So I get to actually exercise certain muscles that I couldn't work at all before! I can't do the arm movements like a dancer should, but that's OK :)

And working the abs in a standing position was VERY helpful for me. All those crunch sort of things were impossible at first because of how my back/neck reacted. I'm pleased to say that now I can do other ab work! That's from the belly dancing. I also did yoga, but I can't do most of the planks in repetition/holds, so I didn't get the core benefits like yogis usually get.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options

You should definitely try it if your doctor thinks it's OK! I am able to move the muscles in my back without the sort of contractions required in weight lifting or even swimming, and that is the sweet spot for my nerve problem (upper back/neck). If I contract too hard, the nerves in a couple of spots go insane. So I get to actually exercise certain muscles that I couldn't work at all before! I can't do the arm movements like a dancer should, but that's OK :)

And working the abs in a standing position was VERY helpful for me. All those crunch sort of things were impossible at first because of how my back/neck reacted. I'm pleased to say that now I can do other ab work! That's from the belly dancing. I also did yoga, but I can't do most of the planks in repetition/holds, so I didn't get the core benefits like yogis usually get.

Thank you so much. I'm definitely going to give it a try, at my own pace at first and see how it goes. I've done Zumba, and just modified some of the moves, so it might be okay. My problem is a congenital fusion in my lower back (which has led to minor herniations) and an old hip fracture which resulted in some arthritis. Nothing "horrible" but I do have limited range of motion, and would love something that would help strengthen my core without doing more damage. I cannot do crunches and planks, either, and I know it's just because I'm so weak and don't want to compromise my back health.

T/J over! Thanks again, and thanks OP for starting this thread!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Tagging so Heather sees this.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Tagging so Heather sees this.

Aw :heart:

Yes! Go try it! It's fun and low impact and a great workout. Some teachers are definitely more intense than others. It *should* work gluteals and core hard (and arms and legs). Envious of poster who studied with Rachel Brice! I go to classes, which I enjoy much more than I ever did videos. If you get addicted you'll want to do it every day. :drinker:
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Another belly dancer here..

You might want to try the Bellydance videos geared towards workouts than the ones that are more dance technique based.

If you have that fitness channel on cable, look up the show called "Shimmy". It's a Bellydance fitness show. Also check out SharQui videos and RaqFit - both are fitness oriented Bellydance videos.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've been dancing since like 2005? 2006?

I'm a professional hobbiest- and I gig several times a month. I weight train 5-6 days a week and dance 4-5 with classes 1-2 times a week ranging from 1 hr classes to 3 hr workshops. I take it very seriously and I drill and practice. not just "oh it's fun lets' do this"

If you REALLY are working with it- you can definitely use it as a source of working out. If you are just trying to have fun with it- you are going to have a good time doing something new and different.

You are going to learn new things

You are going to get a little work out.

But really- it's just for fun. Technique based stuff is different than "fun/workout" stuff. There is a whole world of bellydance that isn't just "oh this is a fun workout like zumba"

it's not. I'ts a rich with history and juicy stuff.
    These people are serious about their training- they spend hours dedicated to it- every waking moment analyzing music and moves. They eat breath and sleep glitter dumbek, mizmar and undulations. It's not for fun- it's what they do. Eat breath- dance. LOL

So yes- give it a shot- but realize there is a lot more to it if you are willing to dive in.

That being said- my body doesn't come from bellydance- it's not enough. it comes from years of heavy training like a real athelete. IT REALLY REALLY helps me with my dance- but the dance itself wouldnt' give me the fabulous body I have. I work with several talented but plump dancers. Trust me- they have fabulous endurance- but little to no muscle definition at all.