Should i eat the extra calories i get from exercise?

Options
I could use a little help here :)

My daily calorie intake is set to be 1330. But what about when i have been of to zumba or any other exercise thats added.

Should i eat those extra calories?

Replies

• Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Yes! That's the simple answer!

However careful on how you calculate how many you have burned.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat all of them. Maybe a third of them.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP to calculate your calorie goal then yes eat them back. As said before, be careful how you calculate them because my HRM shows about 30% lower than MFP so maybe eat 70% back

If you use the TDEE - a% method then no because they are already added in (although am pretty sure your base calories would be a lot higher with the TDEE method)
  • SisterSugar
    Options
    Whats TDEE?
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    I like to think of those as money in the bank. I usually withdraw these with a day or two. Having good results with this method. Each to there own. I never go < 5000kjs (1200) for me that's terrible. My current goal is 9000. Works with my metabolism during my weightloss journey.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether your settings already account for exercise.

Did you set MFP to sedentary? If so, yes.

Did you set MFP to lightly active or more? If so, no.

If you do eat them back, either by a heart rate monitor (recommended) or eat back around half of what MFP tells you you have burned, as it can overestimate.
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    Whats TDEE?
    Total daily energy expenditure

Just another method of trying to lose weight. You calculate one number which takes into account you excerising 1-3 times a week or whatever and your job/lifestyle. You can google calculators. I now use this method and getting good results.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you are netting in calories. Make sure you aren't too low. I'd say no less than 1300 net. Just my opinion.
    Kimmie
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Whats TDEE?

Ok now you are asking a question lol.

It is Total Daily Energy Expenditure I believe and although I am no expert it is a total of your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) plus the energy you burn during a normal day. This includes walking, working along with any regular exercise you pre plan into your week. It is the total number of calories you require to meet your daily energy needs without gaining or losing weight. If you then set your daily calorie goal at 15 or 20% less than this you lose weight

But as your exercise is already counted for in this method you don't eat those calories back
  • SisterSugar
    Options
    In my diet profile i've set my daily activities as Lightly Active, i work in a shoe shop.

So that means i shouldn't eat the extra?

Im still confused :D
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    My best advice would be to eat those calories where you do something out of the ordinary exercise wise. It sounds to me that you have set your daily activity correctly for your job and last time I saw Zumba it didn't fit my description of lightly active.

So start by eating 50-70% (100% if using a heart rate monitor) back especially if you are feeling hungry on these days and then modify with eating less if you want to at a later date or depending on your progress.

This should lead to a sustainable weight loss in my opinion
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    You should still eat as many of the extra's as you feel you need to, I eat approximately 60% which is plenty for me, if you eat them all its ok if they are calculated accurately but machines and MFP tend to be quite high for me, I use a heart rate monitor and convert calorie burn to nett.
  • SisterSugar
    Options
    Thankyou all for the help :)

I'll start to eat some of the calories back if i have been to Zumba or something else a bit tougher than usual.