Any Shame in Walking Your First 5K

Options
Hi, Everyone.

Well, I have my first 5K coming up this Sunday. I have trained, not as much as I should have, but I still plan on doing the 5K. Just wondering if there is any shame in walking during any part or all of a 5K. I am definitely going to give it my best shot, but I don't want to embarrass myself either.

Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks and have an awesome week!!!

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Congrats signing up for the 5K.

You can only do what you trained for. So if you didn't train to run it, enjoy walking it partially or entirely. There is no shame if that was your intention.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    As a common saying goes...you're sill lapping everyone sitting on a couch. I'd just walk it as fast as you can, & maybe try to jog a little of it, here & there, as you feel able. If you keep up your health goals, then maybe in a year you'll be telling at your first marathon, how you walked your first 5K. :-)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No shame at all.

Run as much as you can, talk a walking break - not leisurely walking though, keep your heart rate up a bit - then run again when you feel you can
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    better to walk than to not.

Good for you and yes, it's fine. many others will be walking all or some of it - my sister did her first 5k and walked the whole thing (she didn't intend to run at all) and as SharonFP4H said "you're still lapping everyone who is sitting on a couch".
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I say complete the 5k the best you can, I wouldn't be ashamed to walk, run and jog, you should be proud of yourself for completing it.
    Good luck and most importantly enjoy it.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Nope. Just plain nope. Better to be doing something than not, and don't care what others think of you because you're doing this for you not them!
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    No shame at all! Congrats on signing up for your first! Do your best and have fun!!
  • LoudmouthLee
    Options
    You are going faster than everyone still sitting on the couch.
  • katiepen
    katiepen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No shame at all in walking it!

I did the UK based 5 k Race for Life in July and was hoping to run for all of it but ended up walking for bits of it and still had a massive grin on my face when I'd finished.

Go for it and enjoy it
  • momofjem
    Options
    I've walked several 5Ks! The best one I have done is The Color Run. Good luck!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Lots of people walk them for various reasons. Go for it!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Nope!

I did my first (only) 5K Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving Day. Walked the whole way. To my way of thinking any way you complete it is all a plus!

Congrats!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    No shame. Wear a horse head mask and speed walk. And a t-shirt that says "deal with it."
  • faithfirst
    faithfirst Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just do your best! At least you are still going... that in itself is an accomplishment :-)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I've done two 5k's. Both non-competitive. Walked them both, and don't really care what anyone thought about it.

It's my life and my body... I'm not there to impress anyone. I'm there for myself.
  • ertlandia
    Options
    The only shame would be if you did not go out and have fun run, walk or crawl.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    No Shame At All- I did and didn't feel guilty one bit. I figured at least I was out there doing something. The next 5k I do will be even better. Have fun :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I walk/run pretty much every time I run. It's more enjoyable to me if I take walk breaks, and doesn't really alter my overall pace. I finished a 5k in 25:30 and won my age group with a couple of walk breaks.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    the only shame would be NOT doing the 5K. you have to start somewhere, and if you walk a 5K, you're still lapping everyone still in bed/on their couches/stuffing their faces at brunch :) you can then build up to walking/jogging, and then just jogging, and then supposedly (i haven't gotten here yet), the all-elusive "RUNNING." i'm a proud walker/jogger. ain't no shame in that game!

i jogged 8.5 miles of my first half marathon and walked the other 3.6. whatevs--i finished and that's all that matters! i walked most of the tough mudder last weekend....probably 7-8 miles of it--with only 2-3 miles of jogging...but there were crazy hard obstacles and beautiful scenery to enjoy. point is: do what you can do and be proud of your accomplishment! you will always have something to work toward and you will be exercising your heart, muscles, bones, mind, etc etc.

xoxoxo.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    No shame at all. Although not my first i have a 5k in December and may be walking it all as just done my hip flexor and may not be back up and running fully by then :-(