Any Shame in Walking Your First 5K

Options

Replies

• astange83
    astange83 Posts: 105
    Options
    A lot of 5ks have sign ups for runners or walkers. I walked one 100% 2 years ago, and finally this year I did the same one again this year "running" about 40-50% of it, and shaved about 13 minutes off of that and its gave me a huge confidence boost. So walk this one train more for the next add a little run to it and your times will get progressively better :) I've also seen some of the walkers have faster times than the runners because the runners push too hard too early and can't finish up, so just do the best you can do and have fun!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I think I have walked part of every race I have done. (I need to work on my pacing) I did 13 races this year.
    No shame at all.

I just like to have a strong start and a strong finish.

Here is another great alternative.. I was running a 5k, with a jogging stroller, so I always start in the very back. You should be in the very back for this first 5k too. I get to pass a lot of people, I was running by this girl I knew from some of the 10k events I did, so she was a runner. She was running next to this kid, not hers, and chatting to him. He had a lot of anxiety about being last, so she said she would run with him..
    Just find some poor soul and run next to them. Its great the kind of random running pals you can make.. Enjoy!
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Shame? Just the opposite....be proud for the fact you are even doing it at all!! There are two types of people that will be there....the ones participating and the ones watching...and the ones watching are all going to admire you because they wish they had the courage to be out there and you just may be the encouragement they need!!
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    There is no shame in walking or mixing up walking and jogging however much you like. I did my first 5k with my 16 year old daughter yesterday. We walked some sections (despite being very fit as a competitve figure skater and keen mountain trekker R. struggled more than she expected to maintain a steady pace - being able to skate flat out for 3 1/2 minutes isn't the same as running steadily for 30+!) and we were in good comapny all the way. Starting towards the back is good advice, but we got carried away with overtaking people in the first kilometer and slowed down alot thereafter including several walking breaks. It was an out and back course, and I was really impressed how many of the front runners took the trouble to shout encouragement to those of us still on the way out as they passed us going the other way. Recording a time will give you something to aim for next time, and it has certainly inspired us to look for some more races and see if we can build up to some longer distances next year.

No one will mind you walking and I'm sure you will get plenty of support. Have fun, just keep putting one foot in front of the other and let us know how you get on!
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Go for it.
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everyone.

Well, I have my first 5K coming up this Sunday. I have trained, not as much as I should have, but I still plan on doing the 5K. Just wondering if there is any shame in walking during any part or all of a 5K. I am definitely going to give it my best shot, but I don't want to embarrass myself either.

Any input is appreciated!!

Thanks and have an awesome week!!!

The only shame would be sitting at home on your couch wishing you were at that 5k! Go for it! Walk, run, crawl, you can do it!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing your first 5k!!

The best advice I ever got was "PUSH yourself, but remember a 5k is a 5k no matter how fast or how slow you finish!!! Just Finish :-)"

Your going to do great!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    None. If you are moving, you are improving!
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no shame! In fact many do, go for it, enjoy it, and keep on signing up for more. Before you know it you'll be running them completely. Most people I know who run (5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon) decide how much they are going to walk. In the beginning they mostly walk. Jog a little walk a little. I use the count the paces method others use time. 1 minute to 5 minutes is a common beginning. Run for a minute walk for five. In your training you would decrease the walking and increase the running till you get to the 9 - 1. Run for nine minutes and walk for one.

Good Luck and the big one is to have fun!
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Nope, no shame. Shame is for those not doing anything at all! Go for it, and most important - enjoy it!
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    not at all
    I have done 6 half marathons and I consider myself a walker. all be it fast. I pass up some "joggers" LOL do you thing. finishing is more important that time. Props to you for being active and do anything!
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    No shame...your goal should be to finish while running some of it...and that will be your baseline...to doing it again only better. Also enjoy the people and the atmosphere it is a blast. MOst important as others have said...HAVE FUN
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Nope! My first 5k (also my first race) I started too fast and got awful side cramps. So I ran it when I could and walked it when I needed to breathe it out. Just do what you can do and push yourself as much as you can without hurting yourself. :-)
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I agree with most of the above: no shame in walking part or all of your 5K, no matter if it's the first or the 15th one you do.
    Most important part is to do it, and to have fun doing it, and to finish it!

"You" might not be happy if you walked part of it, "You" might feel ashamed, but that's only you! Everybody else will congratulate you on doing it, on moving, on finishing etc.

The first race I did was a 10K and I only had 2 goals: run the whole distance and have at least one person finishing after me. I fulfilled both goals. A week later, I did it again. That was in March. I have not trained regularly during summer and still wanted to participate in a 12km run in October. I had even set some times I wanted to meet: a "must" time, a "could" time and a "dream" time, alongside with the previous 2 goals of not walking and not be the last one. I guess that put too much pressure on me. I was under my "must" time, but far away from my "could" time, and I had to walk because I couldn't run anymore. Everybody around me congratulated me on finishing, on having run a good time etc, but I couldn't be happy about it. I only saw the negatives (walk, "bad" time).
    My next race is another 10K, on November 9th. I have set new goals: run the whole race, finish, not be the last one to finish. I actually do NOT want any time limit, and I will try to avoid to check my watch during the run.

Long story short: have fun, enjoy your 5K, don't feel ashamed for walking. You're doing more than many people do. It's only "you" who can see a problem in walking, no need to care about what others think about you!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I did two 5Ks this year and it really is a beginner race for those just getting into running. While I ran, there were plenty of walkers.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I recently walked a 5K in honor of my mom. DH & I pushed DS2 in his jogging stroller. Due to health issues I wasn't prepared to run but we were gonna make sure my mom got to see the 3 of us cross that finish line dangit. :)

You'll probably see lots of walkers on the race route. Best of luck to you!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    The only shame there is to be had is if you don't give everything you've got. If you run when you can run and walk until you can run again then you should be shame free.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No shame. The point of exercise is to make yourself better, so eventually, if you decide to stick with it, you should get up to running it, but if you're being smart about it and you have a good program, then just pace yourself and follow the program.

If you're not on a program, then get on one, and pace yourself, and follow the program... :drinker:
  • missashleigh92
    missashleigh92 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    this is my first post although i've been a mfp member for a while; just wanted to say it defo isnt something to be ashamed of. I did my first 5k a couple of months ago and i ran/ jogged and walked around the track. The feeling you get when you've finished is amazing and you'll feel so proud of yourself. :)
    plus the atmosphere of all those people will probably push you to run further than you might have trained for. nothing beats motivation from a large crowd.
    enjoy the race!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    No shame at all. If you need to walk, walk. If you can run, run. I did my first 10K yesterday and told myself if I needed to walk I could but only after I finished the first 3 miles. I ended up running the whole thing. FOR ME it ended up being easier to run the whole thing than I thought it would be. You may surprise yourself!

Good luck and remember, it is not how you get to the finish line that matters but that you get there!!!