Any Shame in Walking Your First 5K

2»

Replies

• CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    not at all
    I have done 6 half marathons and I consider myself a walker. all be it fast. I pass up some "joggers" LOL do you thing. finishing is more important that time. Props to you for being active and do anything!
  • Greywalk
    Greywalk Posts: 193 Member
    No shame...your goal should be to finish while running some of it...and that will be your baseline...to doing it again only better. Also enjoy the people and the atmosphere it is a blast. MOst important as others have said...HAVE FUN
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Nope! My first 5k (also my first race) I started too fast and got awful side cramps. So I ran it when I could and walked it when I needed to breathe it out. Just do what you can do and push yourself as much as you can without hurting yourself. :-)
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    I agree with most of the above: no shame in walking part or all of your 5K, no matter if it's the first or the 15th one you do.
    Most important part is to do it, and to have fun doing it, and to finish it!

"You" might not be happy if you walked part of it, "You" might feel ashamed, but that's only you! Everybody else will congratulate you on doing it, on moving, on finishing etc.

The first race I did was a 10K and I only had 2 goals: run the whole distance and have at least one person finishing after me. I fulfilled both goals. A week later, I did it again. That was in March. I have not trained regularly during summer and still wanted to participate in a 12km run in October. I had even set some times I wanted to meet: a "must" time, a "could" time and a "dream" time, alongside with the previous 2 goals of not walking and not be the last one. I guess that put too much pressure on me. I was under my "must" time, but far away from my "could" time, and I had to walk because I couldn't run anymore. Everybody around me congratulated me on finishing, on having run a good time etc, but I couldn't be happy about it. I only saw the negatives (walk, "bad" time).
    My next race is another 10K, on November 9th. I have set new goals: run the whole race, finish, not be the last one to finish. I actually do NOT want any time limit, and I will try to avoid to check my watch during the run.

Long story short: have fun, enjoy your 5K, don't feel ashamed for walking. You're doing more than many people do. It's only "you" who can see a problem in walking, no need to care about what others think about you!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 639 Member
    I did two 5Ks this year and it really is a beginner race for those just getting into running. While I ran, there were plenty of walkers.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    I recently walked a 5K in honor of my mom. DH & I pushed DS2 in his jogging stroller. Due to health issues I wasn't prepared to run but we were gonna make sure my mom got to see the 3 of us cross that finish line dangit. :)

You'll probably see lots of walkers on the race route. Best of luck to you!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    The only shame there is to be had is if you don't give everything you've got. If you run when you can run and walk until you can run again then you should be shame free.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    No shame. The point of exercise is to make yourself better, so eventually, if you decide to stick with it, you should get up to running it, but if you're being smart about it and you have a good program, then just pace yourself and follow the program.

If you're not on a program, then get on one, and pace yourself, and follow the program... :drinker:
  • missashleigh92
    missashleigh92 Posts: 37 Member
    this is my first post although i've been a mfp member for a while; just wanted to say it defo isnt something to be ashamed of. I did my first 5k a couple of months ago and i ran/ jogged and walked around the track. The feeling you get when you've finished is amazing and you'll feel so proud of yourself. :)
    plus the atmosphere of all those people will probably push you to run further than you might have trained for. nothing beats motivation from a large crowd.
    enjoy the race!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    No shame at all. If you need to walk, walk. If you can run, run. I did my first 10K yesterday and told myself if I needed to walk I could but only after I finished the first 3 miles. I ended up running the whole thing. FOR ME it ended up being easier to run the whole thing than I thought it would be. You may surprise yourself!

Good luck and remember, it is not how you get to the finish line that matters but that you get there!!!
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    None at all! Just do it!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Agree with all of the above, no shame at all. Record your time and next time knock a little off. Good luck!
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    There's ZERO shame in doing anything that gets you off the couch and moving !
  • Wow!! Thanks for all of the replies. I just wanted to get a feel of what people thought of walking a 5K. My goal is to prove to myself that I CAN do it and I WILL DO IT!!! Not looking to impress anybody at all. This is FOR ME and ONLY ME!! :happy:
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Hell no there's no shame in walking part of a 5K. There's no shame in walking ALL of it! You just get out there and be proud of doing the best YOU can do.

Personally, I've done 2 5Ks. I walked all of one of them and about half of the 2nd. Was determined to run a complete 5K soon after, but then I went and broke my foot so I need to take it slowly. I haven't given up yet, though and some day I'll do it!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Nope. I was reading the site for a 5K that I'm going to do. They have a special section for walkers. They let them start early, I think. There's shame in standing in the cheering section doing nothing. Kidding. But, my point is that you're moving, and that's what matters.
  • No, not at all... I walked a marathon this year!
  • teamAmelia
    No, not at all... I walked a marathon this year!

:noway: Wow! Congratulations. How long did it take you?
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    No shame at all! Just getting out there is something to be proud of. Walk, run, skip to the finish line...just remember to Have Fun!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I have bad knee's and wear braces and walk more than I jog (I can't really run because it is to much impact on my joints) and I try to do several 5k's every year... Even Walking a 5K is more than all those that are still sitting on the couch.... Best of Luck
  • teamAmelia
    No shame at all! Just getting out there is something to be proud of. Walk, run, skip to the finish line...just remember to Have Fun!
    Skipping sounds fun. :laugh:
  • No shame at all. I just walked my first 5k, the electric run. Remember even when you're walking you're still runnin laps around people deciding to stay on the couch ;]
  • Walked the marathon in 6.5 hours.
    A 14:30 pace.

I loved it, and plan to do another!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i would not be ashamed at walking a regular foot race. i would be embarrassed and disappointed in myself. it meant that i hadn't properly prepared for a challenge.
  • Well, last week I opened up this topic asking for advice for my first 5K. Well, I did it today and finished the whole thing. I walked the whole thing and actually finished last...but I DON'T CARE. I was happy to finish it and am not worried about my time. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and I DID!!!

Thanks everyone for all of your input!!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Well, last week I opened up this topic asking for advice for my first 5K. Well, I did it today and finished the whole thing. I walked the whole thing and actually finished last...but I DON'T CARE. I was happy to finish it and am not worried about my time. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and I DID!!!

Thanks everyone for all of your input!!

I was going to comment that before I saw this post that the only shame would be in not enjoying yourself.

Way to go on finishing and I just think you have a great attitude! You should be proud of yourself.