Is it worth logging days when everything goes wrong?

Options

Replies

• TruckersWifeTruckersLife
    Options
    Log it all even on a bad day
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I log everything, although I think I've only gone over by more than 500 calories one day (but I've only been doing this since August). If I log everything (and I do it before I eat the next meal or snack), it helps me to be realistic and to make adjustments for that day.

Also, I worry more about staying on target over the course of a week. If I go over by a couple of hundred calories one day, I can look back and see that I've maybe been under by a hundred or so on several days, so I'm still good for the week.

Finally, now that I've got a couple months of data, I calculate my real maintenance calories over previous 8 weeks (to allow for hormonal fluctuations) by adding up my net calories consumed over that period, plus 3500 calories for each pound lost, and dividing by 56 (days in 8 weeks) to get my average maintenance calories over that period (I know it's continually falling since I'm losing weight, so my current maintenance calories are probably a little lower than the number I get this way, but I still find it helpful to know my actual number, rather than the approximation that MFP and other calculators give -- not a criticism of the calculators, just a reality of any formula that tries to account for all kinds of variations) (plus, I selected sedentary when MFP calculated my calorie needs, because I have a desk job and I thought I was probably somewhere between sedentary and lightly active, but based on my real numbers, it seems that I'm between lightly active and moderately active before taking intentional exercise into account). Anyway, I wouldn't be able to do that if I just tossed data out the window by not logging my calories on days when I go over, especially if I go over by a lot.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

But you do bring up a good point. One of the BAD things about this site is that it overemphasizes the "day". We really should look at longer periods of time like the "week". Sure, I can pull up my weekly reports, but every time I go to my log, or my diary, the default view is "day". No one day is really all that important.

OK. Off I go to find out exactly how many calories I consumed in one day. If nothing else, once I am finished losing, and back to "maintenance", it will be good to know.

For me I have to disagree. My weight problem has been caused by an unhealthy relationship even and addiction to food (psychological not physical). I'm here to change my lifestyle but am addressing it like a recovering alcoholic - 1 day at a time. Today I will try to make sensible/ healthy choices. Slowly, those choices are become habits and my use of food as an emotional crutch has almost gone but seeing 1 day at a time is great. If it was a week the old me would view it as I could eat what I wanted for 5 days and then try (and fail) to play catch up for 2 days. Now I choose to make the right choices for the day or actively choose not to and I almost always log (especially if I've gone over through emotional eating as that's the area I need to learn from most).
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always log it, so I think about where I could have done better. And then move the heck on! Always try to learn from your mistakes :)
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Absolutely log it, even though it's a bit depressing. Then, at the end of the week, you can see one bad day in context. You can do more exercise for the rest of the week and bring the average daily calories back down. Don't give up!
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find it helps me to admit to myself what I just ate or drank (beer, how you test me!) I tend to end up looking at weeks at a time to assist how I picture how I am going rather than day by day. Yes, track day by day, but make it longer term that you think about things. The first step is admitting what you are doing to yourself though I think. How can we change if we don't admit that there are things that need changing and measuring whether they are chaning? When I first started I probably used to binge weekly one day, that reduced over time both in calcories consummed and frequency, but I wouldb't know that if I didn't log it. Your diary is for you. Good luck my dear.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Seeing the bad with the good really does help. You shouldn't pretend it didn't happen, but you shouldn't beat yourself up over it either. Learn from it.

I log every single day excluding when I'm on vacation because then I'm off the grid. Seeing the big red bar graph is annoying, but it all balances out in the end if you keep making the effort.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If it's a special occasion and I'm making the decision not to log, I don't. Otherwise, I log everything.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yes you should because you see in black and white your actions and it holds you more accountable.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    For me I log everything now. In fact you can see my diary - check this weekend out. I realized in a moment of clarity that if I have a deficit of 200 calories per day and am "Green" for 25 days. The five days that I am 'not green" can easily wipe out my gains for the month.

For example:

25 Days @ 200 deficit = 5000 Green Calories "in the bank"

5 Days @1000 Surplus = 5000 Red Calories - "All funds withdrawn"

--- I am not proud.. .but for October I am totally "In The Red" right now. I have finally opened my eyes and I log everything!

However.. I am not sad or mad about any of this.. I have had several running and stairmaster NSVs this month and that is what counts to me! :smile:
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Dude, I suggest logging all the things. Even on binges. Then later on, when you're back on track, go over it and review what happened. Don't just look at that day, look at patterns. Did you get low protein or other nutrients the week before? Were you on your period (if female), did you skip something you usually had (no coffee for breakfast on Monday = a bad day for me), or did you have something you normally don't (eating too many carbs early in the morning for me is a bad thing, sets off cravings big time)? If it keeps happening, look at the pattern, and when you can think of it, use the food notes section to keep track of anything unusual in your life: family visitors, trips, sick kids, unusual stress, demands on your time, whatever. These things can help you discern patterns that throw you off your plan and help you fix the problems that are sabotaging your success. If you notice that you "always" have a "plateau" right before a major milestone, then look at your logging. Are you having more cheats? If so, that's a clue to your mental state. None of us radically change our bodies without having some emotional / mental health issues around it. This is YOUR data, it belongs to you. It is your key to understanding yourself. Why would you rob yourself of the critical information you need to evaluate your process? It's not like not logging will magically make it all have no calories. It's not like looking at the numbers is REALLY any more shameful than the extra inches on your hips or waist. No one will get through this without slipping up occasionally. The key is this: Did you learn from it? Or did you take the cheapest, crappiest, worst possible advice in the history of the world, "Let's ignore it and hope it goes away."? Choose wisely.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think those are the MOST important days to log. That helps me to keep on track.
  • socomary
    Options
    Yes, it's worth logging. It's naive to "reset" and start over. It's also naive to avoid logging the "special occasion days". That's labeled denial. You're still eating, right? Just because it's not logged doesn't mean it equals 0 calories for the day. How many people avoid logging their "over" days, special or not, only to complain a few weeks later that they've seen no weight loss? Logging everything keeps one honest, and helps one make sense of their progress.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Always log everything! I've learned that some days when I think I've completely blown it I've really done way better than I expected. Then there are also days that I think that I have, and I have, went wayyyy over board.

MFP isn't your nanny, shaking her finger in your face telling you that you should be ashamed of your mistakes. MFP is a ruler or measuring tape, a tool, that helps you get the job done. It helps you gauge what you are putting in, what you are working off, and what changes you need to make.

Food is not the enemy. Weight loss and lifestyle change is all about developing a healthy relationship with food.

There are many people on here that have lost 50, 75, 100, 200 pounds. These are the opinions and pieces of advice that I believe have the most value. After all, they must be doing something right!
  • jasonsdragon
    jasonsdragon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YES!. We ALL have those days. The only way to change the bad habits is to take accountability for them. It will imprint in your mind what was good and bad during the day. when you look back at what you ate or didn't eat it will reinforce your healthy eating habits and make you more aware of what you need to do to be the person you want to be. NEVER give up on YOURSELF!
  • primpixie
    Options
    Yes. Or else you will simply think that having the odd day off is fine and before you know it, your previous hard work has gone out the window!
    Log everything from the stray grape in the fridge to the sweets your friends shared with you and you will get a proper picture as to where those calories are coming from.
    If you don't log, what's the point of being on here?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Dude, I suggest logging all the things. Even on binges. <<snipped>>The key is this: Did you learn from it? Or did you take the cheapest, crappiest, worst possible advice in the history of the world, "Let's ignore it and hope it goes away."? Choose wisely.
    ^^This - by @action_figure
    I think those are the MOST important days to log.
    ^^that from @seltzermint

How many people avoid logging their "over" days, special or not, only to complain a few weeks later that they've seen no weight loss?
    ^^Bingo - from @socomary
    Food is not the enemy. Weight loss and lifestyle change is all about developing a healthy relationship with food.
    ^^ and this from @Keshisdsp
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    People rarely learn when things go well , more often than not they are forced to learn their lessons when things go wrong.

This is a lesson and it needs learning or you will be doomed to repeat it. I don't have an unhealthy relationship with food or exercise but I am struggling badly with regards to giving up smoking, so I can empathise with your struggles. Sometimes we need to hold our hands up and admit our failings when we let them happen. Nobody lit a ciggie for me this morning and put it in my mouth and it's a struggle I have to come to terms with, sweeping it under the carpet won't help
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    So I had one of those days. Those days when you have no idea why you're even trying to eat healthy, so you just... give up. I have never been a "binge eater", so that doesn't quite describe my day, but I was easily 1000 calories over my goal. Easily. And I didn't work out. Well, I did do 2 lunges. While carrying bacon to the computer.

Is today even worth logging? Should I really re-live every mistake I made and catalog it? Do I really need to see the "if every day was like today, you would weigh xxx in 5 weeks!" Or should I just pretend it never happened, go to bed, and wake up fresh and back on my routine when I go back to work tomorrow?

Thoughts from someone else who's had a fail day?

If you don't log it you're cheating yourself.

And denying yourself the opportunity to learn from your mistakes.

If you have one of those days when you go a couple of thousand over your cals, log it. Next time, you'll look back and think "I've had one of them recently, time to get back on it". If you look back and it shows nothing went wrong, you'll allow yourself to deviate again more easily. New behaviour patterns require feedback (both positive and negative) to establish them. Don't rob yourself of a potential part of the mechanism.
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's not only that it's worth it, but you have to do it. I am guilty of not doing it, but I am starting. Logging these days helps you see a. the pattern of your eating (which can help you prevent it) and b. it helps you see what kinds of foods you turn to, helps you see what stuff you should get rid of (aka. you always binge on white bread - get rid of white bread, replace with something else) and helps you measure your binge accurately (perhaps you eat less than you think?). I am sure there's more than that but that's all I could think of.