muscle building and genetics, special snow flake?

Options
2»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Apologies must have copied the wrong link. Hope it works this time:

http://www.jappl.org/content/104/6/1736.full
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Surprised at the continued lack of reaction to this one given the propensity with which X study is normally whipped out to combat Y claim on this site. I thought the special snowflake thing was real big around here...
  • JumpinJill
    JumpinJill Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    "Bouchard took twelve pairs of twins and subjected them to 84 days over a 100-day period of overfeeding by 1,000 calories per day, for a total of 84,000 excess calories. Subjects maintained a sedentary lifestyle during this time. The average weight gain was 17.86 pounds, but the range went from 9.48 pounds to 29.32 pounds!"

I find this interesting because it was similar to another study done that someone posted the link to in another thread. It was a link to a bbc video on youtube on a study for gaining weight. There the participants had to eat so many extra calories a day and week to see how people gained weight. At the end of the study some gained a little weight and looked like they gained nothing. Some gained a lot of weight and had some bigger bellies, and another guy they studied a bit more because he gained some weight but looked smaller then when he started and he gained muscle. So the researchers were talking about how his genes had played a role in how his body stored extra calories. For him it was right to muscle (lucky guy) for others half and half, others only fat etc. It was interesting. Sounds like the article had some of the same ideas.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    what controls do you imagine were needed?

Id like them to eat like rats in a lab... absolute control... but hey, that ain't gonna happen...

That being said, drawing conclusions off of the extreme results of the study is kinda cherry picking unfounded data. The people who did the study just gave theresults, T-nation took it out of context and magnified less important data. They have no clue what sort of "stupid" stuff those participants might have been doing on their free time.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Yeah, unfortunately lab control is unfeasible for a long term study... :-)

As a scientist in a related area, I'd be pretty confident with this study. I think it's reasonably well designed and that it's findings are described in a measured and sensible way. I think the implications are significant. We're comfortable with the notion that genetics influence our ability to learn music, to learn to dance, to achieve academically... why not weight lifting too?

It's a big sample for this kind of study. I'm not sure I see the kind of evidence of outliers influecing the interpretation unduly that you're suggesting. I do agree that it was sensationalised in the popular reporting, but that's not a comment on the science itself - it's bad reporting. (And trust me, that is super common. I've cringed about things the media have claimed I've said in my work!)
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, the special snowflake thing is normally pretty active on these boards.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

As a scientist in a related area, I'd be pretty confident with this study. I think it's reasonably well designed and that it's findings are described in a measured and sensible way. I think the implications are significant. We're comfortable with the notion that genetics influence our ability to learn music, to learn to dance, to achieve academically... why not weight lifting too?

It's a big sample for this kind of study. I'm not sure I see the kind of evidence of outliers influecing the interpretation unduly that you're suggesting. I do agree that it was sensationalised in the popular reporting, but that's not a comment on the science itself - it's bad reporting. (And trust me, that is super common. I've cringed about things the media have claimed I've said in my work!)

I think that is a pretty good comparison. Everyone can be taught something but some people will just be really bad or really good at it. Most people will just be average at it. :happy: Then there is the outliers that are just completely tone def or the ones that become exceptional without any training.

The study is troubling because of the huge percentage of people that were considered nonresponders and the article makes it sound like it is just genetics and those people just cant do anything about it.

I dont know if the study shows that and they mention it in the summary.
    Whether these subjects are truly nonresponders or actually delayed responders requires further study. The possibility certainly exists that this cohort would experience hypertrophy with additional weeks of training. Studies with prolonged recovery periods between bouts (2 days/wk loading) have often resulted in more robust hypertrophy of myofibers than 3 days/wk training for both men (15, 21) and women (12, 13), particularly in older adults. It therefore stands to reason that some subjects who failed to experience hypertrophy in this study may better respond to extended recovery time between bouts and/or additional weeks of training, and both factors should be considered in future evaluations of the mechanisms driving resistance training-mediated hypertrophy among humans.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The study is troubling because of the huge percentage of people that were considered nonresponders and the article makes it sound like it is just genetics and those people just cant do anything about it.

As a parent, I get to see kids (my own and those of countless others) exposed to all kinds of things. IMO, most people are "non-responders" to most types activity, so the result is consistent with my own observations.

I'm comfortable with the implications.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

usually when I see "special snowflake" it is in re to someone thinking they're somehow not subject to the laws of thermodynamics or something. I don't think it's exactly earth shattering news that genetics is going to play a substantial roll in re to athletic performance and/or ability.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

usually when I see "special snowflake" it is in re to someone thinking they're somehow not subject to the laws of thermodynamics or something. I don't think it's exactly earth shattering news that genetics is going to play a substantial roll in re to athletic performance and/or ability.

Nah, everyone has pretty much the same shot at being successful in the NFL and NBA. Just depends on how hard you work. :p
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's exactly earth shattering news that genetics is going to play a substantial roll in re to athletic performance and/or ability.

Add intelligence, motivation, etc to the list, too.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    I've noticed often times someone will say I put on muscle easily or something along those lines and it seems many are quick to respond with you are not a special snowflake term. Or maybe just certain people say it a lot and it's not really a lot of people. Now i'm saying it a lot, lol. I just was putting another point of view out there so others can see genetics play an important role in our fitness too.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

i think that's the part that leaves me completely flat. basically the article and the studies were a lot of words saying "genetics matter". I'm not sure where the news is here. yes, a lot of people here claim to be special snowflakes in one regard or another but i don't really see people arguing that genetics don't matter. they matter in everything else, from height to strength to speed to intelligence to medical anomalies so why wouldn't they matter when it comes to adaptation? i don't really recall people on the other side of this.

that said, everyone can make a change for the better or worse. we all have limitations but we can train and adapt to make quite a bit of difference within whatever genetic limits we were gifted from our parents.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

i think that's the part that leaves me completely flat. basically the article and the studies were a lot of words saying "genetics matter". I'm not sure where the news is here. yes, a lot of people here claim to be special snowflakes in one regard or another but i don't really see people arguing that genetics don't matter. they matter in everything else, from height to strength to speed to intelligence to medical anomalies so why wouldn't they matter when it comes to adaptation? i don't really recall people on the other side of this.

that said, everyone can make a change for the better or worse. we all have limitations but we can train and adapt to make quite a bit of difference within whatever genetic limits we were gifted from our parents.

It will definitely give some people the excuse they wanted to not even try. It also gives those, that believe they can somehow grow muscle easily, something to point at and say see we are all different.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I think we're in agreement. Lets be honest: how many people are ever actually going to bump up against their genetic limits? Just because they're there doesn't mean you'll ever tap them out. Only people training to the highest level (olympians, NFL, etc) are going to discover their limits and they'll compensate for them by other means. Being strength limited outside of strongman or power/olympic lifting probably isn't going to hurt your chances too much. Most sports you just have to be "strong enough" so a certain amount of weakness is not a drawback. Then, all things being equal, skill at the game (and a whole host of other factors) will be the determinant between players
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've noticed often times someone will say I put on muscle easily or something along those lines and it seems many are quick to respond with you are not a special snowflake term. Or maybe just certain people say it a lot and it's not really a lot of people. Now i'm saying it a lot, lol. I just was putting another point of view out there so others can see genetics play an important role in our fitness too.

I think you're missing context though...I would assume people making the snowflake comments are doing so because someone is claiming to be gaining muscle because they gain muscle easily...even though they're eating like a little bird and netting 800 calories per day or whatever. Energy surplus is still required to build substantial muscle. You gots to eat to have a shot at putting on any substantial muscle...and for the average joe/jane out there, it is a painfully slow process.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    Yes you do need a lot of food to gain muscle. I suppose I just see that term often and i'm sure sometimes the individual just isn't willing to accept the fact that considering we may be eating the same amount and that the other person may have gained more muscle in the same amount of time. I'm sure many are using the term in the correct way though and I'm sure they will continue to use it. Again I just was wanting to show that we aren't made of one mold and our bodies react differently to different stimuli.