Burning Calories

Options
I was looking through the excerise things and they have like cleaning and cooking and house work and things like that if you wanted to add but does anyone know if there is something for knitting? Can you burn calories for that? I knitt crafts and with the holidays approaching its all I do, for example I sat on the sofa yesterday and knitted for 3 hours straight, while yes I was sitting, my arms were constanting going and pulling the yarn and moving back and forth. I didn't think it counted but someont told me it might.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Alanhalil
    Alanhalil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It is going to be minuscule really. Not worth entering, in my opinion.
  • drop_it_like_a_squat
    Options
    Don't log it...
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Don't log it.. Yes, I know sometimes you can work up a sweat doing vigorous cleaning, but I did those things when I was overweight, and it never contributed to weight loss. You lose calories just from breathing, but we obviously don't add that. So I wouldn't log anything that wasn't a physical activity/exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I was looking through the excerise things and they have like cleaning and cooking and house work and things like that if you wanted to add but does anyone know if there is something for knitting? Can you burn calories for that? I knitt crafts and with the holidays approaching its all I do, for example I sat on the sofa yesterday and knitted for 3 hours straight, while yes I was sitting, my arms were constanting going and pulling the yarn and moving back and forth. I didn't think it counted but someont told me it might.

Thoughts?

You have your BMR - calories you use while sleeping......then you get additional calories for your activity level .....calories used for day to day activities. You ARE already getting credit for some activity.

If you plan on eating "exercise" calories back and log knitting as exercise ......don't be surprised when your weight loss stalls. I do log exercise (and eat calories back).....but am conservative.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Don't log it.. Yes, I know sometimes you can work up a sweat doing vigorous cleaning, but I did those things when I was overweight, and it never contributed to weight loss. You lose calories just from breathing, but we obviously don't add that. So I wouldn't log anything that wasn't a physical activity/exercise.

True because weight loss is about your diet not calories burned. If you eat more food than the calories you burn, you won't lose weight.

This past week, I probably burn 2400 calories a day with running & cycling. I gained weight as I was eating near 5000 calories a day.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's like logging watching TV for 3 hours and picking up the remote to flip channels. It's part of tdee and so is cleaning.
  • danyleewell
    danyleewell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is what I was thinking too, Thanks everyone
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Don't log it...

She speaks the truth.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    If you decide to count things like that than you better also prepare yourself for disappointment with you progress vs workload.