portion size....

Options
does your eye know a portion size? this is VERY different than package portions. or what you get in restaurants.

a portion size of lean meat is the size of a cassette tape. okay, i am showing my age here. the size of the average kitchen sponge. you know, the little yellow ones with the green scrubby pad.

a portion size of banana, HALF of the average banana in the grocery store. and a SMALL apple, not the gigantic ones that are in the grocery.

fruits are about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. and veggies about a cup.

rice and pasta....half a cup! half a cup. think about the HUGE bowls of pasta we eat in our homes and out. it's cheep and filling. but not the best calories you can consume.

when eating outside of your kitchen where your measuring cups are, use your hand as your guide. your greens for your salad, no more than 2 fist full. your meat, the size of your palm. your veggies, a fist full. pasta and rice, half a fist full.

i pray that you find this information helpful as you walk the road of a healthy lifestyle.

Replies

• c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great information!! Very helpful! :happy:
  • iamstronger247
    Options
    i did THANK YOU :):flowerforyou:
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I have done so far, is to use a smaller plate. We have these giant dinner plates tha tyou cant help but try and fill up. Instead I've been using a lunch plate and it's quite the difference!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Learning about serving sizes has made a huge difference for me. I'm considering buying a food scale to even assist. Another lesson i had to learn was that having more greens/veggies on a plate is actually better than a huge serving of meat. My typical meal consisted of a large piece of meat or two and some small veggie sides tossed in. Changing those ratios can make a world of difference and still make a meal enjoyable.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I use smaller plates and measuring cups for my meals. I also eat cereal in this kind of bowl.
    http://shopmeasureupbowl.com/
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    One of the best things I have done so far, is to use a smaller plate. We have these giant dinner plates tha tyou cant help but try and fill up. Instead I've been using a lunch plate and it's quite the difference!

Funny thing is, I have always used a smaller plate. I just refilled it several times. LOL :blushing:
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    yes, it is useful :)

I use a small plate too. Even when I'm a friend's or family's house I ask for a smaller plate when appropriate. I've actually started using the smaller fork and spoon too, or chop sticks so I eat slower.
  • doris_day
    doris_day Posts: 159
    Options
    Very useful - thank you for the post. Purchasing a scale has helped me a lot! I'm getting much better at determining portions now - even before I put them on the scale.
  • Cnmurphy78
    Options
    Wow...I didn't know some of those portions were so small. Thanks for the info :smooched:
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I always use my palm for meat. Sucks it's so small! LOL
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Nice! I use my little plates too :)
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I use smaller plates and measuring cups for my meals. I also eat cereal in this kind of bowl.
    http://shopmeasureupbowl.com/

Those are cool dishes! Little pricey, but definately cool :)
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Learning about serving sizes has made a huge difference for me. I'm considering buying a food scale to even assist. Another lesson i had to learn was that having more greens/veggies on a plate is actually better than a huge serving of meat. My typical meal consisted of a large piece of meat or two and some small veggie sides tossed in. Changing those ratios can make a world of difference and still make a meal enjoyable.
    I too have switched to bigger servings of veggies and the meat is my side dish. I'm usually very full and almost feel like I've cheeted on my plan.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    thanks for all the comments! we too switched to smaller plates about 2 yrs ago. it does help. i'm curious to see what my parents think about them when they come to visit next week for the first time since we made the switch.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I'm just a data guy, so I find it easiest just to throw everything on the scale. I use the gram equivalents on the package and don't even bother with cups, ounces, ets--at least for the dry stuff.

My wife refuses to even look at the food scale. Go figure.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    I'm just a data guy, so I find it easiest just to throw everything on the scale. I use the gram equivalents on the package and don't even bother with cups, ounces, ets--at least for the dry stuff.

My wife refuses to even look at the food scale. Go figure.
    opposites DO attract! :)
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I found this interactive guide on WebMD :happy:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate