beet juice for breakfast weight loss, 25 pounds in 2 months

Options
1235»

Replies

• iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Beets are a natural diuretic and have been shown to lower blood pressure in people with hypertension. I'm all for juicing, or rather making smoothies which it sounds like your friend is doing. Anything that gets people eating more vegetables is great.
    The only problem with juicing or making veggie smoothies is it is expensive, time consuming and usually not sustainable

So OP are you going to try this and report back to us?

I have a green smoothie every day and it's not expensive or time consuming :huh:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    yeah but he said he didnt change anything about his diet except the beet juice and then within 2 months he lost 25 pounds, most would think he'd just maintain his weight but he didnt. and theres no way he could lose 25 pounds just by exercising in 2 months, at least i dont think it is.

If the beet smoothie had less calories than he was normally eating for breakfast, then he's taking in less calories than he used to if he kept everything else the same. Eat at a caloric deficit and you will lose. That's all there is to it.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the USA or AU but in the UK we have doen many studies into the health benefits of beetroot juice.

See this link >>> http://www.beet-it.com/research/published.php

We have beetroot juice to buy in the supermarkets and is renouned to help increase sporting excellance. In terms of loosing weight, i reckon the deficit had some part to play in this?

Hope this is of some interest! :)
  • Sweetestthing87
    Sweetestthing87 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Beets are the devil. :devil: Just sayin..

Seems like it could work but why in the world would you want to do that day in and day out.

I also say, what is the harm in trying it. I juice/detox every so often and love it, but I am never a fan of any juice with beets in it, I drink them but I am not happy about it. Plus, I only do it for 1 - 4 days. (I do the juice to reset my mind, not really to drop (x) amount of weight). I always feel better, more energized and crave more veggies and fruits after doing so.

Good luck to you.
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Beets taste like dirt. :flowerforyou:

It took 3 pages for this fundamental fact to be provided?! Shame on you MFP'ers.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    More vegetables is always a good thing. Nothing magical about beets though, except for how beet juice turns your urine pink if you drink enough of it. That's pretty cool.

In for pink urine :bigsmile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    In for magical juice. (No.)

werd...

BTB_Feb_101.jpg?73626

best cleanse ever....
  • mkamikaze3
    Options
    The Truth About Beetroot Juice Most lists of nutritious super foods don't include beet juice, but according to recent research it belongs right up there with salmon and blueberries. Beet juice deserves a spot on the list because it may boost stamina to help you exercise longer, improve blood flood, and reduce blood pressure.Through a chain reaction, the body converts the nitrates in beet juice into nitric oxide, a compound that enhances blood flow throughout the body and helps lower blood pressure.Beet Juice Promotes Heart Health and Blood Flow A diet rich in beet juice may be a natural approach to help lower blood pressure and improve heart health. Nutrition experts have long recommended diets rich in fruits and vegetables to promote heart health and help lower blood pressure.Emerging studies suggest that beet juice (also known as beetroot juice) is one of the richest dietary sources of antioxidants and nitrates that may improve blood pressure and blood flow throughout the body, including the brain, heart, muscles, and more. and why your friend works out more Beet juice can also have a positive effect on the body during exercise. A recent study showed six days of beet juice enhanced overall physical performance and heart functioning during exercise.In a 2009 study, researchers found nitrates enabled people to exercise up to 16% longer because of nitrates' ability to reduce oxygen uptake, making exercise less tiring.
  • mkamikaze3
    Options
    The Truth About Beetroot Juice Most lists of nutritious super foods don't include beet juice, but according to recent research it belongs right up there with salmon and blueberries. Beet juice deserves a spot on the list because it may boost stamina to help you exercise longer, improve blood flood, and reduce blood pressure.Through a chain reaction, the body converts the nitrates in beet juice into nitric oxide, a compound that enhances blood flow throughout the body and helps lower blood pressure.Beet Juice Promotes Heart Health and Blood Flow A diet rich in beet juice may be a natural approach to help lower blood pressure and improve heart health. Nutrition experts have long recommended diets rich in fruits and vegetables to promote heart health and help lower blood pressure.Emerging studies suggest that beet juice (also known as beetroot juice) is one of the richest dietary sources of antioxidants and nitrates that may improve blood pressure and blood flow throughout the body, including the brain, heart, muscles, and more. and why your friend works out more Beet juice can also have a positive effect on the body during exercise. A recent study showed six days of beet juice enhanced overall physical performance and heart functioning during exercise.In a 2009 study, researchers found nitrates enabled people to exercise up to 16% longer because of nitrates' ability to reduce oxygen uptake, making exercise less tiring
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    man, you guys are kinda being ridiculous. i mean havent you heard of people doing juice cleanses? i think my friend did the same thing. i mean the fiber from the beet probably pushed all of the junk that may have been stuck in his colon and intestines. its a possibility.

There was no junk stuck in his colon unless he was constipated. :laugh:

He ate less food in total each day so he lost weight. It's simple.

Yup. And juicing takes out the pulp, and therefore, most of the fiber. : )

Juice is not magical. It's certainly super nutritious, if you get the raw juice instead of the sugary drinks at the store. I just get irritated that people think they can throw a bunch of stuff in a juicer and it will melt the weight off. It's like anything else. You have to know how many calories are in what you're consuming and eat (or in this case drink) at a deficit to lose weight. And like anything else, it's not sustainable unless you have some kind of plan for when you stop juicing.