Plateau for seven months now and getting discouraged

Options
Hi All - 1st time posting but I need the collected wisdom of all of you. I've lost 80+ lbs since Feb 2012 but have stayed about the same (gaining and losing the same 7 lbs) since March. I am getting discouraged. Still have about 25-30 lbs to reach my goal. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this happen?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary would help :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated or allowed MFP to recalculate your maintenance calories and daily calorie target? If you haven't changed your daily goal since you started, your weight loss may have reduced your energy needs enough that you're no longer eating at deficit, or are eating at such a small deficit that it doesn't take much to wipe it out (forgetting to log something, underestimating a portion size or two, overestimating your exercise calories, etc.).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Opening your diary would help :)

I with you on this. It is amazing how many people will ask questions like this, but do not see the need to open their diaries. Makes one wonder what they have to hide, because in the final analysis, they are only cheating themselves, hence the plateau.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    open your diary please
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Have you recalculated or allowed MFP to recalculate your maintenance calories and daily calorie target? If you haven't changed your daily goal since you started, your weight loss may have reduced your energy needs enough that you're no longer eating at deficit, or are eating at such a small deficit that it doesn't take much to wipe it out (forgetting to log something, underestimating a portion size or two, overestimating your exercise calories, etc.).

^^^ Wise words. An open diary is helpful btw - but only if you feel comfortable doing that. Obvs.
  • BrookeBQ
    BrookeBQ Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Reduce your calories, and up your cardio/start weight lifting
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise every day (or most days)? I was at a plateau for a while, but started exercising more frequently and the pounds started to peel off.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hi All - 1st time posting but I need the collected wisdom of all of you. I've lost 80+ lbs since Feb 2012 but have stayed about the same (gaining and losing the same 7 lbs) since March. I am getting discouraged. Still have about 25-30 lbs to reach my goal. Any suggestions? Anyone else had this happen?

As mentioned by other posters, it's very likely you're actually eating at maintenance. Losing so much weight translates into a greatly reduced energy expenditure (there's simply less of you to carry around). If you have not recalculated your needs - do so. If you have, then still consider reducing your intake a bit more or increase your exercise (that you shouldn't eat back) to create a bigger deficit.
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen to me several times. It's frustrating and can be discouraging.

When I was talking to a doctor about it once they explained that after some weight loss, your body naturally plateau's at times in order to catch up. But continue to do the right things. I also notice that when I stuck at a certain number, I will try to add in 15-20 minutes more of exercise a week or cut my calories down by 50 a day or something. To force my body out of it.

Let me know if you have other questions!