Sushi?

Options
Going out for sushi tonight for the first time, i was planning on having whatever and then adding it to my diary when i got home based on the receipt (so i knew what i ordered then got the calories from the database and added them).

However as a sushi firstimer ;) i was wondering if there are any to avoid to due high fat levels or calories and ones which are lower in calories? and what is sushi like for you health wise on the whole? oh and finally, calories in a sushi sized portion of chicken terriaki (sp)?

Thankss :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    stick to basic fish.

what kills you calorie wise are the special rolls- fried and special sauces everywhere.

Fish and rice are relatievely low calories.

My go to order is
    2 california rolls (has veggies in it- 1 roll = 6- 8 'pieces')
    2 yellowtail with scallion
    2 spicy tuna (only thing I order that has any sauce or anything- it's got some mayo)
    2 Tuna

and that's enough for me for the day- typically get miso soup and the garden/ginger salad. And I"m totally happy- and that's like 1500 calories.

Sushi is delicious nom nom nom- I really want some- maybe tomorrow.
  • ichibanmom
    ichibanmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Japanese is my favorite, I eat it regulary at least 3 times a week. I usually get a 6 piece hamachi or sake sashimi (raw fish, no rice), steamed or grilled hamachi or sake kama (collar), and if I do eat chicken, I will get it grilled without any sauce. If you use soy sauce, make sure that you drink a lot of water.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Japanese is my favorite, I eat it regulary at least 3 times a week. I usually get a 6 piece hamachi or sake sashimi (raw fish, no rice), steamed or grilled hamachi or sake kama (collar), and if I do eat chicken, I will get it grilled without any sauce. If you use soy sauce, make sure that you drink a lot of water.

sashini is definitely the other option- I don't mind it- but I prefer the rolls.

I have eaten with guys who just order that- and then get a side order of seaweed paper- and wrap the fish in that- I might try that next time. Although- I do love my rolls. NOM NOM NOM
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Rolls are usually a good introduction and I personally like Salmon with rice.
    Enjoy!
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I forgot the name of the salmon ones, but those are my favorite o.o
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Never liked sushi .. but you have fun with it. Some people like it .. just not my thing.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Anything fried/rolls/with sauce will be highly caloric. It's of course what westerners find most tasty as well:)

I live in Japan and have sushi every week. To keep it low-cal I order salmon (raw or cooked), tuna, yellowtail, scallops, squid, shrimp, and stay away from anything with mayo, tempura and teriyaki:)

If you have the option to order sashimi instead of sushi, that will save you a LOT of calories (rice is the danger there - the rest is basically just protein and some healthy fish oils), and you'll be able to eat at will.
  • david2609
    david2609 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try everything if you are a first timer and enjoy.
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's all good! Some in our local sushi place have battered things in the middle (battered prawns or battered squid). Avoid them, but eat ALL the fish and chicken ones! If there is sauce, it's only going to be a tiny amount! Enjoy!
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    oh man i could honestly eat sushi every day for the rest of my life and be happy.

the "fatty" ones are salmon, eel, anything with a sauce, anything listed as "tempura", etc

my FAVORITE is yellowtail scallion or tuna, just regular tuna.
    I personally don't like soy sauce, so i lose a lot of extra calories and sodium there on my end, i usually just load up on the ginger :-P

good luck! i love sushi and its a great healthy meal as long as you stick to the good stuff (non fried, no crazy sauces, etc)! :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Avoid anythihg with tempura, it's got extra breading. And avoid anything that includes mayo or cream cheese. Or if that's what you really want, just make room in your calories. Also good to know since you're a sushi newbie, a roll is not one slice but all 5 or 6 slices of the same roll. So if you order say a california roll, you get 5 or 6 pieces of that same flavor and that is one roll.

My favorites are salmon, eel, tuna and california roll. I don't like miso soup so I usually start my meal with seaweed salad.

Here's a quick reference list for some of the basic popular rolls

http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-health/calories-in-sushi/
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    im pasting my response from an identical thread posted friday (i believe it was friday)...

of all the meals out, sushi is not one i recommend holding back on.
    especially if it's your first time.
    sushi is worth skipping lunch for.
    sushi is worth an extra 2 hours on the dreadmill for.
    sushi is worth going over for.

go to dinner, try some of everything and enjoy the amazing experience that sushi is.
    wash it down with sake and never have a single regret about it.

and now i'm thinking sushi for dinner...so thank you.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I always strart with the salad, extremely low cal, and miso soup...also a good filler & low cal. Try to use the green or low sodium soy...Enjoy!
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    im pasting my response from an identical thread posted friday (i believe it was friday)...

go to dinner, try some of everything and enjoy the amazing experience that sushi is.

yea. me too. im eating my lunch right now and regretting that it isn't sushi... just lame cooked salmon lol!

EAT ALL THE SUSHIS
  • Salty_Sauce
    Salty_Sauce Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

100% agree with this ! Some things are just worth the extra time and work to enjoy!
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    While eel (unagi) is delicious, it's also over-fished; please avoid. http://animal.discovery.com/endangered-species/overfishing-consumer-guide.htm

Eel aside, I agree with the "try everything" approach as it's your first time. Have fun and be adventurous!
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    You have to try Uni....

Well, maybe not. I do love Hamachi. Toro is good but expensive and very fatty.

You could order Chirashi and not eat much of the rice...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm......spicy tuna roll :love:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going for nigiri-type rather tham maki-type. Nigiri is the kind that's a piece of something (meat, egg, vegetable, whatever) laid across a little bed of rice and sometimes a wrap of seaweed around it. Maki are the ones that are made in one big roll and sliced into pieces, often containing not just fish and rice, but cream cheese, avocado, and sometimes even deep fried. You can find lower calorie maki rolls, but you'd have to look hard to find higher calorie nigiri.

And from a non-nutritional standpoint, if this is your first time getting sushi I definitely recommend getting a cooked one so you can get used to the texture and flavor combinations. Most shellfish and freshwater fish varieties use cooked meats, and most restaurants will indicate which varieties use raw fish. Some of my favorite non-raw sushi are ebi roll (steamed shrimp over rice with a bit of wasabi), tamago (sweet omelette over rice), and unakyu roll (grilled freshwater eel and cucumber wrapped in rice and seaweed with a sweet barbecue sauce).
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

^ This....totally agree.