Breast Reduction Questions

Options
Have any of you had a breast reduction and if so, what size were you before you got it and what size are you now? I am seriously considering it and although the whole "major surgery" part of it freaks me out, I am so tired of carrying the weight on my chest. I am a 36FF and when I was pregnant I got up to a 40K which is just ridiculous. I am 40 now and I am really just tired of dealing with the whole chest thing. The smallest I ever was was 34DDD and now after three babies, I just don't see them ever recovering and they are so freaking heavy. So anyway, are you glad you did it? Would you do it again? Do you have any regrets? The smaller my body gets the more freakishly huge my chest looks and it's just annoying at this point.

Replies

• Michellekutz1
    Options
    A year after my second child I had mine done. I am not sure what my size was but I was falling out of a 38 DD like I was trying to use an A cup. I have no regrets at all I am now a 34dd (I am 5'1'). When we talked about it I thought I was going to go down to a C cup because they were dropping me 2 sizes. I had went to my regular Dr. and told her I was having shoulder and neck pain. After 6 months of "physical theropy" with no improvement I was refered for a reduction. My medical insurance paid for the whole thing and I was so excited. There was pain, but more on my sides under my arm pit where they did some lypo. The cuts themselves were not painful. If I get down to my goal weight I wouldn't mind going a litttle smaller to be honest. But if I lose more weight maybe I won't have to. I would gladly get them done. It was outpatient and my Husband went with me. He got teased for "letting" his wife get a reduction by the guys at work, but he knew how much pain I was in and was happy for me. I still have scars but they are not that noticable and besides only my husband and I see them, lol Hope this helps and I have no regrets about doing it!
  • fitandhealthyby30
    Options
    I just had breast reduction surgery 8 weeks ago I was a 38G and am about a 38C now. I feel AMAZING! I had a wonderful surgeon and even after just 8 weeks, you can hardly see the scars. The actual surgery wasn't bad. It was about 2 hours and I never needed pain medication after. :)
  • ljb82
    ljb82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for my BR surgery in June 2014 but my surgeon wants me to lose 70lbs before my pre-op appointment on May 15. I can very much relate to want you ladies are saying about the shoulder and back pain (not to mention the emotional toll having large breasts brings).
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I'm having an augmentation in December, which includes a reduction on one side because I'm super lopsided and the breasts have to be the same size before they can add in implants. I've nervous, I've heard recovering from reduction is very painful.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I'm having an augmentation in December, which includes a reduction on one side because I'm super lopsided and the breasts have to be the same size before they can add in implants. I've nervous, I've heard recovering from reduction is very painful.

consult another surgeon.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone asked this question, I'm quite curious about the topic too... I keep telling my husband that once I'm done having kids; I want one. He doesn't like the idea of the surgery... but I'm 5ft6' and I've never been smaller than a DD (in high school). I was at a 42 DDD, But now that I lost a bit of weight and then got pregnant, I'm measuring at a 38 H. However, I did manage to fit into a 38 G at the store. I think they are just too big, and way too heavy, I'm having the problem now that bra's with a underwire hurt where the underwire hits... and Bra's without a underwire hurt my shoulders where the straps are... And that's without even considering the fact that I'm only 19 weeks pregnant, and will probably grow a additional cup. (U.S. Cup sizes)

I hate being this big... besides the just pain of it, and unwanted stares... There's the problem of where do you go to try on bra's and figure out what's comfy? The places I've found online that sell them have absurd returning policy's so I'm literally paying 50$ to try ON a bra. I really think I'm going to push the hubby to let me go down to a D or C once I'm done having kids.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had my BR surgery in 2003. At my largest I was wearing a 40DD, but having never been officially fitted for a bra I'm not sure I was wearing the correct size. At only 5'0 tall with narrow hips, plus wearing baggy tops to minimize the negative attention my chest always attracted, my breasts made me look so much heavier than I really was.

Recovery was long and I remember freaking out a little afterwards when I first looked at the incisions. I needed a lot of help for the first week or two, until the drains came out. I couldn't sleep on my back, so my hubby set me up on the pull-out sofa where I could sleep propped up and he could still lay next to me. I remember needing the pain meds they gave me, but not for very long. I was mostly numb with a lot of pressure. I think that was the worst part. The skin was pulled very tight, especially afterwards when the swelling kicked in, and I had to wear these super tight bras to keep the weight of my breasts from pulling at the incisions on the underside. I still have some strange sensations in places where the nerves were cut, but it doesn't hurt, more like a numbness along one side that I don't notice unless I touch that spot. I had a lot of sharp pains in my nipples for years. It still happens from time to time, but only rarely.

If I had it to do over again, would I? Absolutely! I am finally comfortable with my breasts. I love their shape and their size, and I barely notice the scars except for underneath I can feel where they are if I try, but none of them are really visible anymore. I love wearing shirts that fit (I will love it more when I get the rest of this weight off!) My back and neck feel great, and I can sit on a bar stool without having to prop my boobs on the bar to take the strain off my back, and no more indentations in my shoulders from my bra straps! And as for "sensation", everything is completely normal. I was even able to breast feed my son (he was a surprise about 4 years after the surgery).
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for my BR surgery in June 2014 but my surgeon wants me to lose 70lbs before my pre-op appointment on May 15. I can very much relate to want you ladies are saying about the shoulder and back pain (not to mention the emotional toll having large breasts brings).

I also had a br and my dr told me to lose as much as possible so I could go smaller. The insurance paid for my br and so I didn't get a choice of how small I could go. I did request him to go as small as possible and I went from DD or higher to 38 B, but I had half inch on each side under armpit that he didn't remove, so I want to go back in have them do that. I would also have aother br to go smaller.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    I advice you to go to
    realself.com im a "real" friend!:flowerforyou:
    Real people real stories real pictures!
  • boobooblackie
    Options
    Best thing I ever did. I was large can't even remember actual size (blocked it out) maybe 34 G or H. Asked to be as small as I could be and my surgeon said I can only take off a certain amount. Now I am a 34 or 36 D and although not as small as I wanted, I am very happy I did it. Did it between kids, didn't breast feed. Recovery was not painful at all although you look like Frankenstein for a bit.
  • Kimbo_Ten
    Kimbo_Ten Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had mine done about 6 years ago. Best thing I had ever done! I was told that if I lost weight my boobs would go. So I lost 20kgs and they did not budge! I was a G cup and asked for a C. They are bigger than a C and glad they are - if anything I wish I had gotten them a little bit bigger BUT so so so much happier than I was so can deal with a push up every now and then ;)
    One thing I would recommend is make sure you completely relax after the op. I was so excited and just wanted to get out and about. Ended up fainting and falling straight on my face haha.
    Most if the scars have healed well, but nipples aren't normal looking haha.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about this, it will depend on what size I am after I lose weight. I think the smallest bra in my drawer is a 32E, I was a 32H before my last pregnancy. I've thought about it in the past but have put it off because I wanted to breastfeed and didn't want to risk not being able to do that, but now that I'm done having kids and almost done nursing, the idea is up for consideration again. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.