I loveeee hummus!

Options
Honestly before this website I had never even heard of hummus. I was grocery shopping last night and decided to buy some and it is DELICOUSSSSS. Does anyone have know how to make it? let me know if you do!

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hummus - dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas, blended with tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and garlic. It is a popular food throughout the Middle East and elsewhere.
  • IAmDanMarshall
    IAmDanMarshall Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Honestly before this website I had never even heard of hummus. I was grocery shopping last night and decided to buy some and it is DELICOUSSSSS. Does anyone have know how to make it? let me know if you do!

If you like store bought hummus, try to find a Greek or Mediterranean restaurant near you. If it's even halfway decent, their hummus will probably blow away the store bought!
  • Fatoshie
    Fatoshie Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    haha hummus is one of our national appetizers (Im in Turrkiye) and yeah I love it too. does it show up in the food database??
  • xxPeppaxx
    xxPeppaxx Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I make mine with just chick peas and lemon juice in the magic bullet or blender....i have added fresh garlic or roasted red peppers....doesn't last as long since there are no preservatives but get the small can of chick peas when u make it and you should be good.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    I make mine with just chick peas and lemon juice in the magic bullet or blender....i have added fresh garlic or roasted red peppers....doesn't last as long since there are no preservatives but get the small can of chick peas when u make it and you should be good.

I have a magic bullet!! I am soooooooooo going to have to try this!!!!!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Be careful! Hummus has a lot of calories.
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's in the area, try their hummus. The jalapeno-cilantro is my favorite!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Hummus is a Mediterranean staple ;) Good choice...I make mine from scratch all the time...even the tahini sauce...

I cup of dried chick peas or garbanzo beans/(same thing) and soak for 6-8 hours or overnight in water with a couple large cloves of slice once garlic and a nice slice of ginger root is great too. If you can, change the water a few times. This is where the unpleasant gas is and you don't want to eat that. The beans will double in size.

Then boil the beans and again, change the water at least 2 times so you don't have problems with bloating and gas :D I've reused the garlic and ginger but you can add fresh if you want. After the beans become soft @an hour, you should be able to squish a bean easily between your fingers. And also a "skin" will come off while boiling. That's a good sign that they're done. Don't discard all the water when they're done, you may need a little for the hummus.

How to make basic home made tahini sauce:
    I lightly toast, don't brown, 3/4 C of fresh sesame seeds. You can store the extra seeds in the fridge or freezer because they will get rancid. After lightly toasted the seeds are put into the food processor and puree like a peanut butter smooth. Then add a few drops to 1 tsp of peanut oil. That's a basic tahini sauce...super easy.

Here's an authentic Israeli Hummus recipe that I searched for on google and use at my house:

1 cup dried chickpeas
    1/2 cup Tahini sauce
    3 chopped garlic cloves
    1/2 cup squeezed lemon
    1/2 teaspoon salt(more or less)
    1/2 teaspoon cumin

Extra virgin olive oil
    fresh parsley
    paprika
    pine nuts

Grind the chickpeas using a food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients (excluding the olive oil, parsley, paprika and pine nuts) and continue grinding it all in the food processor until you get a smooth texture. If it comes out too thick, add some of the cooking water you saved, and grind it some more.

Garnish with some olive oil, chopped parsley and sprinkle some paprika...I top it off with a teaspoon or two of pine nuts.

Enjoy!!! :D

Now you need to learn how to make fresh pitas...it's VERY easy and good for you!!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    yes, it is in the data base!
  • cnp8942
    cnp8942 Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks everyone! I'm gonna try that recipe it sounds delicious:) And it doesn't seem to be too many calories unless you eat the whole container lol 60 calories/per 2 tbsp...could be worse!
  • edinat
    edinat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i posted a recipe for hummus under the "cooking challenge" thread. I love Hummus!