Attend Zumba class or Play Zumba Rush at home?

Options
Hi, I'm classified as Sedentary person. I would like to add Zumba as an excercise, but wondering which will work best - attend a Zumba class or play zumba rush with kinect at home? I know it'll be fun to join a class and meet new people having the same goals as I do. But I wished to hear success stories from people who incorporated Zumba in their weight loss program. And know which worked for them best.

Replies

• MaryMarek
    MaryMarek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go to a Zumba class once a week. This class is also on Wednesdays, but I have a prior committment for Wednesdays, otherwise I would go twice a week. It is a lot of fun, and really makes me sweat!!!! I like it because it is a nice change from the gym workouts and my walk program I am doing. They say switch it up, right?
  • MusicTeacher13
    Options
    I do both actually! I started by playing the game at home because I know that the classes can be very intense and I wanted to work up to that so I wouldn't get too discouraged if I couldn't keep up. I started Zumba on my Xbox in August and could only do the short classes at first. Now I can do a full-length class on the game and I attended my first Zumba class 2 weeks ago. It was amazing! The classes are more fun for me, but I still play my game on days that I don't go to class. Good luck!
  • sajero2
    sajero2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've done both, but I much prefer the variety of attending actual classes. My instructor mixes it up from week to week, so while there is some overlap (which is helpful for learning the moves) you're not doing the exact same routines, in the exact same order class after class. The games (or DVDs) got old for me fast. If you're able to, I would recommend finding a class. It's a lot more fun and the variety keeps it fresh.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I tried at home.. and while it was fun, I lost motivation quickly... I started going to the gym and love it!
    Stand in the same area every time and you'll get ot know people... I now have about 15 people from class on my facebook and I get harassed when I don't show up -- plus we're friends and often do dinner after class, or go shopping at whole foods..

Whatever you do... try different teachers! They are all COMPLETELY different... the first few times I went I didn't like the teachers at all...now I have one I love so much I go to all 5 of her classes every week :)
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't what you asked for - but I thought I'd share what I found this weekend. I use a Bodymedia band that tracks my calories. On a normal, average pace run I burn about 14 calories a minute.

At home this weekend, I didn't have time to go to the gym, partly due to the child care hours. So... my daughter and I played Just Dance Wii together instead. I forgot how hard it was until I uploaded my numbers and was burning around 10 calories a minute. And I had a blast. That being said, my coordination is awful but I do jumpa round like they do on the screen. I did the same with kinect but I don' thave regular access to that anymore.

I am extremely intimidated by classes of any kind and playing video games sometimes sounds more appealing than going to the gym. Just know that whatever you do you aren't "phoning it in"
  • MissHellsing
    MissHellsing Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I go to the classes. My instructor has her own style of teaching it that I just LOVE. It just feels so great in group setting than by yourself at home.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I Loved my class. It is truly what moved me to my health and fitness changes.
    Sad, my favorite instructor moved her location and I can't make it work anymore. I had already started doing more because I needed to lose more than one day a week would give me.

Long way to say Both! :) the class motivated me to be there, and then the love of it kept me going.

I now workout in the AM with my DVR. I depend on my on-line groups to keep me motivated.

I hope you find a workout you love!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I do both also I love the live classes I met a whole lot of new people and keep in touch with them after classes and have made some very good friends If I cant get to a zumba class though I do it at home I love Zumba !!!!!
  • This43IsNotMe
    This43IsNotMe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just did the Zumba class this morning. I love it cause it's just plain fun, but you burn calories as well, i have a HRM and this morning 531 i think burned in class. I'm more motivated around other people. I don't know the game, but the real thing if you have a good instructor is a blast of fun and calories!
  • rhoucheille
    Options
    Since I just started to make "no more excuses" to myself again today, I'd prolly start zumba at home then search for a zumba class close to home. WIth a 2 y/o toddler (yes I'm making excuses again), hopefully it'll work for me. I can't wait to shed off all the stubborn fats I've been baby-ing for years now. Appreciate all your responses!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've done both and prefer the classes. Doing it at home is kinda boring for me & I don't push myself as hard. I was a little nervous at my first class, but actually the hour went by so quickly I was amazed! I think I was paying so much attention to following along that I forgot how hard I was working! According to my HRM I burn about 475-500 calories in one class! My gym has mostly great instructors (except for one who nobody can follow and then makes us feel like idiots when she is the one screwing up!) :-) Also all the night time classes have a disco ball and party lights, so it feels like you're just dancing at a club with a bunch of friends! It's actually fun! Try it - no one is watching you so just go for it & push yourself to your limits, get your sexy on & have a ball!
  • caroluherek
    caroluherek Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've done both but totally prefer the classes. I found I stick to it more once I've made a commitment to show up for something rather than making excuses about doing something later at home. You burn a lot of calories doing zumba, its great cardio, good for your core and a fun way to meet new people. When you do try a class go to the front of the room so you can see the teacher and don't worry about not knowing all the steps right away, as long as your moving it's all good! I hope you try a class soon.
  • rhoucheille
    Options
    Thanks for the reco.. Will prolly give this Bodymedia band a try!

And yeah i also easily get intimidated with larger number of people. But who cares, right?! I wanted to feel good about myself - knowing I'll be burning good amount of calories.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    I do my Zumba on the Kinect

Amazing results
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I've never done Zumba at home but I go to classes 3-4 times a week and I LOVE IT!! I love the friendships I've built with my Zumba girlies and the inches are coming off!
  • Pacefit4God
    Options
    I do both! I find that I actually burn more calories in the class than doing Zumba at home.

Have fun!
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I do both. Started out doing the Wii version, then started going to real classes. At some point, I bought the XBox kinect and started doing that one (WAY better than Wii). Anyways- the games are great to help you learn the moves or when you don't feel like GOING anywhere... but when you go to a class- you get to feed off the energy of other people. Also- you can see how other people perform the moves and make it their own, which is always fun!

PS-zumba is my main method of exercise and most of my weight has been lost because I love it!
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've done Wii version and actual classes. I prefer the classes, easier to follow along and a whole lot funner. I tend to burn more calories in an actual class too. I go Tuesdays & Thursdays.
  • sajero2
    sajero2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I agree with MissMaryMac33 (I just got that song in my head now!!) about trying different instructors. My first instructor was good, but I found another one who's amazing. She's an incredible dancer and offers much more variety and different kinds of songs than the standard Zumba playlist.
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Class always! Sooooo much better being in a live class! I suggest trying several instructors until you find the one you love!