Wake-Up call

Hello Everyone - For years I have struggled with my weight. I am 5'9 and up until I had my first son managed to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. After I had my second child, I became very depressed and to make matters worse I was extremely stressed from the demands of my job. As a result, I turned to "food" as my comfort and six years later, I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I tried over the 6 years to try just about every diet fad and while I did shed pounds, I gained it all back. I even did the Master Cleanse and lost 30 pounds but boy was it brutal gaining it all back. I gave up. Well in July 2012, I decided to make a change towards my health and well-being. I resigned from my stressfull demanding job after being there for 14 years. I knew it was the right thing to do and I am so much more happier. I took a job working for a much larger company; however, they are big on "work-life-balance", something my last job knew nothing about. I am now able to spend great time with my wonderful husband and boys and get back into doing things I use to do, like volunteering for various organizations. Anyway, there is one thing about my new job that is no help to me becoming healthier and that is, we are required to have "lunches" with our customers on a regular basis. In the beginning I thought I would be okay but when I got on the scale and saw that in one year I gained 20 pounds, I was devastated. I continued to do the yo-yo diet thing with no luck. My husband tries his best to motivate me but I still continued to fail miserably. Two weeks ago (October 18th), I had my physical appointment and was shocked to learn that I am now 220 pounds. The doctor sat me down and showed where I was extremely high-risk for having several things such as diabetes (both parents are diabetic). My conversation with this new doctor was scary but it was the reality check that I needed. My previous doctor who retired never talked about my weight so having someone discuss some things I needed to consider was cool. She recommended this website and told me to not focus on the exercising but moreso to get control of how many calories I am consuming each day and use this site as my daily reminder. She gave me a goal of 6-8lbs to lose by Dec 19th. So today marks the beginning for me to stop with all the diets and to really spend time making smarter choices towards becoming a healthier me. I love walking so today I walked 3 miles which took me 50 minutes and burned 330 calories. This is a great start of a day. Now all I have to do is think smart at lunch and order salads without all the added stuff as I learned that even salads are not all low calorie. I went into baja fresh and one of their salads with the mango was 930 calories..I was shocked. Never again can I have it. I hope everyone have a great day and week.

Replies

• Sounds like you know what to do, I keep a card that my Dr. gave me with me to remind me of why I am doing what I am doing. It's a struggle for sure, so fight it when you have to and then start to enjoy it. You can do it, you will do it, be patient. Good luck! You can add me if you need support.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, and kudos to you for getting yourself in a better place! Some of those salads are no joke when it comes to their calories! I just avoid all salads at all costs ;) haha Good luck, you should definitely be able to make your initial goal of six to eight pounds by mid-December. Feel free to add me if you'd like a friend and some motivation. The people on this site are awesome with helping when you need it :)
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Your mind seems on the right track, that's half the battle right there! Good for you for taking care of your health. Feel free to add me for support.
  • Slstine
    Slstine Posts: 4 Member
    It's better to have a wake up call early in life, then end up in the emergency room. I too recently had a wake up call. I had routine blood work done and they called and asked me to come back in. The doctor kept asking me if I was feeling okay and I said I was. The results of my blood work were so off from my normal scores they asked me to have the tests done again, and the results came back even worse! I am now a diabetic. Huge wake up call for me.
    I am now eating totally vegan and watching my carbs. Glucose levels have been in the normal range for over a week now!
  • Hello everyone, my name is Jeroma. I'm interested in adding more friends to my network for encouraging purposes. I am a 5'8 African American female, a mother of three, a wife, full time college student and employee at a mental health facility. Stressful right? Well, I was just diagnosed with depression, but I refuse to take the medication that was prescribed to me. I NEED to lose at least 60 lbs. I am 268lbs. When I tell everyone, they are like, where? Well, since I've been with my husband, I've went from a size 13/14 to a size 18 which is dreadful. I refuse to buy any nice clothes in a size 18 (honestly, for my style, there isn't any nice close that are reasonable). I honestly only wear normal pullover shirts, and yoga pants. I bought jeans from Old Navy, but they didn't even last long because my thighs rub together which caused them to rip.

I recently started exercising, but because of being extremely fatigue, my husband has to literally push me to do simple stuff like squats and lunges. I become dizzy also, which encourages me to stop and complain and whine. My husband hates it, because he see's I have potential.

Another thing is I BARELY EAT! and when I do eat, its unhealthy fast food because I'm always on the go. I really want to join the gym, but I honestly do not have the time. I work overnight, I sleep during the mornings (if I can --- because I have a one year old son), I pick my daughters up from school, husband up from work, and drop them home and then I go to school...which occurs Monday - Friday. On Saturday and Sunday, I refuse to leave the house unless we are going out together, because I barely spend time with them during the week.

I know...I may look as though I am over exaggerating, but this is the honest to God truth. I really need help, encouragement from women who are struggling like I am, or who have overcame the struggle. I love my husband, but he's trying to gain weight and I'm trying to lose weight, and it isn't very helpful.

I take vitamins on a daily bases. B Complex, Cinnamon, CLA, Biotin, and Womens Multivitamin from GNC.

I have hydroxycut sitting on my dresser, but I am scared to take it, because the first day I took it caused rapid heart rate, and I felt as though I was going to die.

Please help.
  • trinigirl40
    trinigirl40 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I will add you.
  • UCME77
    UCME77 Posts: 17 Member
    I will encourage you as much as I can along your journey to a healthy life style. Just rememeber, take it one day at a time. :)