need some C25K

Options
I plan on beginning the C25K today after work, but it's been a busy weekend and I'm pooped. I've got the app loaded on my phone and Spotify loaded with a running playlist. Now all I need to do is get my butt on the treadmill! I am not a runner and have never been a runner, unless it was to open a pack of double-stuffed oreos. I'm telling myself "I think I can...I think I can", but have this little voice in my head saying, "there is nooooo way you can run 30 minutes. don't even bother trying. ". So.....send me your words of enthusiasm if you get a chance.

I've lost 17 lbs with MFP and my goal is 8 more. Once I get there I'll reevaluate and see how much more I want to lose. I am now in a size 10 pants, decreased from a 14 so I'm totally excited! But this C25K is intimidating and I don't want to get too into my head before I even try.

Replies

• Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I never did C25K but I run and like everyone else I started somewhere. My understanding there is not 30 minutes day 1 week 1 but baby steps to start getting you ready so go out and do it.
    As I said I run and there are many days I am pooped as you said and you just lace up and get out and go and most times you feel much better as the exercise energizes you and doing it is good for your brain and your sense of self. So take your sense of acheivement over the weight loss and carry it forward to your running
    so is that enough encouragement stop reading posts and go run
  • galipemi1
    galipemi1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I plan on beginning the C25K today after work, but it's been a busy weekend and I'm pooped. I've got the app loaded on my phone and Spotify loaded with a running playlist. Now all I need to do is get my butt on the treadmill! I am not a runner and have never been a runner, unless it was to open a pack of double-stuffed oreos. I'm telling myself "I think I can...I think I can", but have this little voice in my head saying, "there is nooooo way you can run 30 minutes. don't even bother trying. ". So.....send me your words of enthusiasm if you get a chance.

I've lost 17 lbs with MFP and my goal is 8 more. Once I get there I'll reevaluate and see how much more I want to lose. I am now in a size 10 pants, decreased from a 14 so I'm totally excited! But this C25K is intimidating and I don't want to get too into my head before I even try.

You can totally do this! I know all about that dammned little voice. The little voice is stupid and doesn't know what it's talking about, don't listen to the little voice! I just finished week one and let me tell you, I'm the furthest thing from fit you could hope to find. I even came close to failing gym (and who fails gym??). I finished week one, more importantly, I'm kind of looking forward to week two and really wish I could skip right to the "I'm a runner" part!

Ignore the voice - get thee on the treadmill (or better, outside! - way more fun)
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I started c25k in June. Prior to that, I had run more than 100 yards maybe twice in the last 35 years, so in no way was I a 'runner'!

I found c25k to be pretty easy - it just eases you through the increases in distance etc.

A few weeks ago I ran my first 'official' 5k race and next weekend I will be doing my first 'official' 10k race.

You can do it. Really...
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    One thing about running that I've noticed - even (or especially) if I hate it when I'm doing it, the feeling of accomplishment afterwards is amazing. Running is great "me" time. When else can you put your headphones in and ignore EVERYONE for even 5 minutes without being rude?
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was a total non - runner almost 3 years ago when I did c25k. The program does baby step you into running. The first week I think I ran for a 1 min then walk for 2. You can do it! It is great me time!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    awesome. I really prefer outside running to the dreadmill. Winter running is kinda awesome.

look into the zombie 5k app.
  • ronaldo4ka
    Options
    You can totally do it. I am not saying it is going to be easy, but look, soooo many people have done it. What are you, chopped liver?))) I started last week, did run #4 today. It is a bit harder when I run up the hill and the wind is blowing into my face, but otherwise so far quite doable. And it does make me feel really good bout myself - that's a great reward!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go outside instead of the treadmill. take in your world. just go run!!
  • MsBrdlv
    MsBrdlv Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program in June 2012. It's been a long process, but I am now consistently running 5K distances at least 2-3 time a week. Most days I try to get in at least 1-2 miles. When I started I didn't think there was any way I would ever be able to run for an entire mile...........

It is just as much a mental training as it is a physical one. There are still days when I start to "talk myself" out of running, but I find if I push through it, that voice goes away and I can enjoy my run. Good luck!
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with going outside. I was not a runner or outdoorsy person. Running is just sooooo much better when you are not being a hamster. Anyhow, I started doing C25K at around 315 lbs. I am now getting close to 250lbs and have completed C25K. It is still a challenge at times, but I am doing it and it has opened up so many door ways to other physical challenges I didn't think I could do.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    go outside instead of the treadmill. take in your world. just go run!!

I agree. Treadmill running is the worst and you will get so much more out if running outdoors. And it eases you I to running really slow. Start today! Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do now.
  • necca68
    necca68 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh...you got this! You don't run 30 minutes straight for weeks yet! So don't get ahead of yourself! This is a great program! I started it a year ago, and like you, I was NOT a runner! I found it easy in the beginning, but then it challenged me mid way through (week 4 or 5 I believe). I kept at it because stopping for a while and then having to start over again would be harder than to just keep going! I agree....run outside! This time of year and winter running is AMAZING! I don't necessarily like running, but the way it makes me feel after my runs is addictive! To date I have run 4 5k's (one being a 5k+obstacle course), and I just signed myself up for my first 15k! The words "half marathon next year" came out of my mouth recently! What the! You got this!!!! Just put your shoes on, your music in your ears....and GOOOOOOO!
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    5 weeks ago I started the programme. I was huffing on 45 seconds counting down to the end of the first minute totally out of breath. I've now completed a 5k in 0:37:30 just 5 weeks later!!

Take your time, stick to the programme and enjoy it. You'll be fine!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am 58 years old and never thought I could ever run. I just finished it 3 weeks ago. It took me at least 12 weeks to complete it because I did weeks and days over if I didn't feel comfortable to move on to the next. I remember running for 60 seconds the first week about killed me. Now I can run 4 miles straight with no stopping. My advice is to take it slow. You can always work on speed later. I love running now. I have kept up with it with no plans to quit. I am working on speed and endurance right now. So far my knees and joints aren't complaining. I think it is a big calorie burner and therefore have noticed I eat a lot more food. I haven't gained any weight and my body is looking a lot more toned. I have been getting compliments on my "runners legs"
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Don’t think about the 30min. you will just psych yourself out. Focus on day 1 & so on. Seriously I was & am much bigger than you & went from 0 running, like never in my entire life to running 4miles in 8weeks. It can happen. There will be days you just want to quit because let’s face it it’s always easier to quit, but I guarantee you if you stick w/it then you will be able to run. Running is my #1 choice for exercise, there is nothing I would rather do. Those moments when you get into your groove and feel like you can run forever are like nothing else. Crossing that finish line w/a huge goofy smile on your face is a feeling that I just can’t explain. Bottom line is if you really want to run, then you will.

ps. I used the ZombiesRun C25k trainer, it was entertaining & effective.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If I can do it, anyone can. :smile:

I started c25k at the age of 43, after avoiding running all my life. In high school I switched from basketball to volleyball because there was less running and a smaller court. :tongue:

Not sure what clicked in my brain to make me want to challenge myself to run, but c25k did the trick. It's been almost 2 years since I started it, and I'm still running strong, out there three days a week, and I love it. This morning I ran 4 miles in the rain and loved every minute of it. :bigsmile:

Tell that little voice that says you can't, "shut up and watch me!"
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    I'm a year older than you and a heck of a lot heavier and I did the program earlier this spring. Before it I would walk and when I was sure no one could see me, I'd try jogging for a few seconds and hated how it felt, how everything bounced etc. But I put effort into this. I got fitted in a running store for shoes that would work for me, and while I couldn't do the every other day 3/week schedule ( I work 12 hour nights and it varies weekly) I did each day on the app in order. I repeated a week when there was a big gap between runs and doing that is okay. Some people repeat days or weeks they have trouble with. There's no competition - only with your self-doubt. The way the program is set up works, I didn't think it would but it really does. By week 3 or 4 I even stopped doing it mostly on the treadmill and got my butt outside on a consistent basis. It's a powerful feeling to run for more than a few seconds and to see the progression. Don't let your brain win with telling you you can't.

There's a great C25K group on here for advice, words of encouragement, etc. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

And if you want to add me as a friend, please do.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    I just started week 8 last night and that was a 28 minute run. I did it! I haven't run in about a decade but thought I'd give c25k a go. So glad I did! It's paced really well and I've had to push myself a bit but I am still amazed I can run. Okay it's more of a shuffle, but still :laugh:
    I run on the treadmill because there is NO WAY you'd get me outside exercising in public, but I am a fat hermit and that is simply my preference. Not to mention that summer is on it's way and with it being 35 degrees outside this week I would die if I ran for even 5 minutes out there. Anyway. Give it a red hot go! What have you got to lose?
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!!!! Woo hoo! So, I made it through Day 1 and it wasn't a big deal. I did the 30 minutes and then tacked on an extra 10 just to prove to myself that I could. When there were 2 minutes left, I decided to see if I could run a full 2 minutes. One minute and 15 seconds in I thought, "this was a bad idea". Then the theme from Rocky came on my iPhone and I almost started laughing out loud. I mean, how can I quit when Rocky is playing??? So I made the full 2 minutes. Woop!

I can feel it in my legs today. I am ready to do it again tomorrow!

I will mostly run on the treadmill b/c A) there is no way I want people to see me running. I'm sure I look like I'm having some sort of seizure, and B) I live near Houston and it's about 1000% humidity and I hate sweating and breathing hard. At least on the treadmill I'm in the AC and there's a little fan on it that blows on me. That sounds terrible, but hey...it's true. HOWEVER...we are camping this weekend and so I think I'll do Day 3 on one of the trails. Running outside seems like it will be harder, but I may give it a shot.

**I have a question...how fast is a "run"? Yesterday I walked at a 4 and "ran" at a 4.5. I figure that maybe my speed will pick up as I progress, but how fast are ya'll going?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is why i like running outside. i can't get a good stride on a treadmill, and my speed suffers.

and second... this program is designed to gradually increase your running distance and endurance. i know that ten minutes doesn't seem like much in the scheme of things, but when you aren't used to it, you might very well be suffering by the end of today or even tomorrow.

side note- i know a lot of people that have had to do week 1 twice because it takes a lot to get used to the program.