getting discouraged

Options
Hi everyone,
I've been trying to stay within the 1200 cal a day but generally fall between 1400-1500. I burn about 568 per day with exercise which I do daily but am not loosing any more weight. I initially lost 8 lbs pretty easily but am kind of stuck here at 180 and 30 lbs more to loose. Does anyone have any advice? I've have had only 2 days this month in which I went over the 1500 cal so I don't know what else to try....well, I'm sure more exercise would do it but I don't have that much motivation right now. By the way, I'm a 47 year old female.

Replies

• dsvflath
    dsvflath Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I've been trying to stay within the 1200 cal a day but generally fall between 1400-1500. I burn about 568 per day with exercise which I do daily but am not loosing any more weight. I initially lost 8 lbs pretty easily but am kind of stuck here at 180 and 30 lbs more to loose. Does anyone have any advice? I've have had only 2 days this month in which I went over the 1500 cal so I don't know what else to try....well, I'm sure more exercise would do it but I don't have that much motivation right now. By the way, I'm a 47 year old female.
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    are you eating the calories that you burn from the excersise.. this is very important.. i was NOT A believer of this..but now many ppl on the site.. encluding myself and my friend ang.. are finding out that if you eat the calories you burn.. you body isnt starving.. if you take away calories.. you have to put them back in.. understand?.. this will stop you from loosing
  • roshong06
    roshong06 Posts: 196
    Options
    Been there...sorry to hear it, I know its hard. I haven't been able to drop pounds away like some other people on here dropping like 5-7 lbs a week. I've been doing this about a month now faithfully and I gained 3 lbs, then dropped 4. So I have only lost 1 lb!!!! so I know how discouraged you can get. You know what helps me with the calorie intake thing....try to log it before you eat it. it will help you. and if it is too many calories for you, cut it into 1/4s...like only eat 3/4 of that sandwich leave the other 1/4. It sounds bad I know...but it helps me. And it also helps me to eat really slow. Take your time, you feel full faster. I also try to drink a full 8oz glass of water before any meal. The exercise is also very important. I even bought a treadmil for those rainy days that I can't get out. I hope it works for you. don't get too discouraged, if I can do this you can do it too....you'll be fine, just keep your goal in mind.

Jennifer
  • dsvflath
    dsvflath Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you for replying! Do you mean that I eat the 1200 plus whatever I burn doing exercise? If so, is it best to try and eat all of them? I had read that the body tries to "hold on" to stored fat if food consumption decreases significantly. Anyway, I'll try that and see what happens. I'm not ready to give up yet so I guess that's good.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Yes - eat most of your exercise calories! If MFP recommends 1200 calories for you, and you exercise burning 550 cals most days, eat about 1700 calories (on the days you work out). I like to leave about 100 calories at the end of each day in case of overestimating exercise or underestimating food calories.... but that's just me.

Be TOTALLY honest with yourself about the food you're eating, the portions, and the difficulty of your workouts.

Good luck! :smile:
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yes - eat most of your exercise calories! If MFP recommends 1200 calories for you, and you exercise burning 550 cals most days, eat about 1700 calories (on the days you work out). I like to leave about 100 calories at the end of each day in case of overestimating exercise or underestimating food calories.... but that's just me.

Be TOTALLY honest with yourself about the food you're eating, the portions, and the difficulty of your workouts.

Good luck! :smile:

yes.. exactly.. if you normaly eat 1200 calories... you burn 300 well then you have only eaten.. 900.. so you should eat close to 300 to get back up to 1200... and yes... i usually leave 100 or so.. just incase.. ive over estimated on the burned calories... there are great websites for finding out the calories burned. for activities.. thanks to many ppl on this site.. they have been great with info when i need it