Squats - Ouch!

So I've added aerobics to my workout schedule in the form of BodyPump, which is mostly good but the squats just kick my *kitten* even without any weights and I can only just manage lunges without falling over. I still weigh 135kg so as excuses go I don't think that's a bad one, however I want to get fitter not make excuses.

What's the most effective way to try and build up my squat and lunge capacity to the point where I'm not embarrassing myself? The rest of the workout I was more or less ok with (ish) just the squats and lunges that defeated me.

Replies

• KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Do more squats. Practice your stand and train your body to do it correctly. When I started Pump it hurt the first few times then my body started adapting to it a lot better.

Good luck!
  • kimbux
    kimbux Posts: 154 Member
    Doing squats and lunges is the only way to get better at Squats and lunges. You could also add more squats and lunges to your workout...! Good Luck :)
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    So I've added aerobics to my workout schedule in the form of BodyPump, which is mostly good but the squats just kick my *kitten* even without any weights and I can only just manage lunges without falling over. I still weigh 135kg so as excuses go I don't think that's a bad one, however I want to get fitter not make excuses.

What's the most effective way to try and build up my squat and lunge capacity to the point where I'm not embarrassing myself? The rest of the workout I was more or less ok with (ish) just the squats and lunges that defeated me.

Simple. Squat more. You won't magically get better at squatting or lunges without doing them.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. Keep doing it and you will get better every time. :)
  • kwedman488
    kwedman488 Posts: 132 Member
    Practice makes perfect, although doing more core work will help you especially with the lunges to keep your balance. So adding some ab exercises will help you as well.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Keep doing squats and lunges to make them easier. Then, when they get easy, add weights to your hands so they become hard again. They always suck. But, such a good calorie burn, during and after your workout.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    www.twohundredsquats.com
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    If you are just starting out they will get much easier, in a matter of weeks, if you keep doing them 3 x week. Then you have to start adding progressive weight.
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Keep doing squats and lunges to make them easier. Then, when they get easy, add weights to your hands so they become hard again. They always suck. But, such a good calorie burn, during and after your workout.
    I actually do three sets of 10 with weights as part of my strength training at home, however it's the high reps on BopyPump that killed me.

Guess it's time to get squatting more, thanks guys.
    www.twohundredsquats.com
    Bookmarked, thanks.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    To become good at X, do X frequently.
  • make sure you do a full squat aka *kitten* to grass.
    Watch a youtube video if you're unsure.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Do more squats. Practice your stand and train your body to do it correctly. When I started Pump it hurt the first few times then my body started adapting to it a lot better.

Good luck!

QFT!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    squats just kick my *kitten*

probably doing them right.

keep it up.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member

probably doing them right.

keep it up.

THIS
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Everyone else is right but you may also want to start doing some mobility work to prevent any issues in the future.

This is a great one that I wish I had found a long time ago.
    http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc
  • ubishi
    ubishi Posts: 3
    When squating with weights, you should squat down to the point just before your lower back starts to round. Without weights on your back i would think it's okay to squat lower. Also, I squat no lower than when the angle of my knees reach 90 degrees.
    I used to do a 100+ squat kicks for martial arts (alternating legs) and after awhile the pain is not as bad ... so as others have stated, practice makes perfect. Oh, and stretching is important too.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Practice, practice, practice. I looked like a complete assclown when I started doing squats. Now I think I look pretty good doing them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    They're supposed to...if they're easy then you're doing them wrong. You will need to add weight soon to keep challenging yourself...they should always kick your *kitten*, that's why squats rock.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    stop being a girly man. Squat n repeat squat n repeat squat n repeat.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Everyone else is right but you may also want to start doing some mobility work to prevent any issues in the future.

This is a great one that I wish I had found a long time ago.
    http://youtu.be/FSSDLDhbacc

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!