Leg cramps

Options
I have been working out for quite a while now and I recently started upping my cardio. I make sure I warm up and stretch before every workout however, I am starting to get insane cramps in both of my calves and I feel like I have no energy to even lift my arms up. The cramps have caused me to fall over during my workout (usually high intensity circuit training). Could this be caused by a type of vitamin or protein deficiency? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need an electrolyte drink before and/or after your workout?
  • dirty_di
    Options
    Most likely it is a potassium deficiency. Try eating a banana before you workout, or mixing Powerade Zero with water to drink while you work out. I used a 50/50 mixture while I did my spin class because my feet would cramp up so bad it would bring tears to my eyes and I would have a hard time walking out when the class was done. It worked like a charm.
  • suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Quite often muscle cramps are from a lack of calcium. Check your levels and see if they need adjustment. It doesn't necessarily need to come from dairy, there are lots of other sources.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use to get them when I wasn't getting enough potassium in my diet. Now I eat a banana every day and a baked potato a few times a week.

Never get them anymore.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not being hydrated or not getting enough, potassium or protein can cause this too.
  • IngeS18
    IngeS18 Posts: 36
    Options
    I sometimes get those really bad cramps as well. I have been advised to up my Potassium intake, so I have been taking supplements. Maybe this will help for you too?
  • dgilner
    dgilner Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with the dehydration comment - I say it could just be a lack of water in your body. Try chugging water for a few days and see if that makes a difference. I always start to cramp if I get even a bit low on water. And remember you will need to add water each day you exercise.
    Good luck
  • tummer
    tummer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lack of water is one of the first things we look at when someone complains of cramps, the other is potassium. Good luck!
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I used to get them too, now I take a calcium/magnesium supplement. Try raising your calcium to 2000mg per day and your magnesium to at least 500 mg per day. I np longer get leg cramps.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Are you sensing a theme, here? Potassium.
    My body does not absorb most of the potassium I consume and, as a result, I am always deficient. When I don't work really hard to make sure I get as much potassium as possible, I get TERRIBLE charlie horses and muscle cramps.
    I hope your leg cramps get better!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Potassium is involved in maintaining a normal water balance, osmotic equilibrium (in and around cell walls) and the acid-base balance within our bodies. Potassium is important in the regulation of neuromuscular activity and promotes cellular growth. When muscle is being formed, an adequate supply of potassium is essential. Low intakes of potassium result in muscle cramps. You can change your diary to track how much potassium you are getting per day. I did this two weeks ago and added lots of fresh fruits and veggies to my diet and I no longer have the muscle cramps. Keep in mind that MFP indicates we should get 3500 mg per day but nutritionists recommend 2000 mg per day. So trying to get in that range would be excellent. I will attach a list below of some sources. I also eat a Cliff bar for breakfast regularly and they usually have 240 - 260 mg of potassium as well. Strawberries and grapes are good sources of potassium but not considered HIGH potassium sources. However, I eat them regularly and it helps.

High potassium foods are:
    Oranges or orange juice (I love fresh squeezed)
    Bananas
    Apricots
    Kiwi
    Pears
    Nectarine Cantaloupe/melons
    Dried fruit such as dates, figs, and prunes
    Dried beans, peas, and lima beans
    White and sweet potato (baked is best as some potassium is leached out while boiling for mashed potatoes)
    Mushrooms
    Avocado
    Pumpkin
    Asparagus
    Tomato
    Winter squash
    Peanuts, almonds, and pecans
    Milk

There are others but this is a substantial list. Hope it helps! Keep up the good work! :)

~Angela
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is a potassium deficiency. Try eating a banana before you workout, or mixing Powerade Zero with water to drink while you work out. I used a 50/50 mixture while I did my spin class because my feet would cramp up so bad it would bring tears to my eyes and I would have a hard time walking out when the class was done. It worked like a charm.

It is potassium. Bananas, potato's and tomato's all are good for potassium. I NEVER get leg cramps now that I eat a banana everyday :)
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    More potassium?
  • juday3
    juday3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    WOW, Thank you everyone! I do drink about 12 -15 cups of water a day. So, I think i must have a potassium deficiency. I'll try eating more potassium rich foods and up my calcium and magnesium. Thanks again everyone ! :smile:
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    all the above....potassium,deydration,& electrolights all are a must when working out to replentish salt loss by sweating!

potassium....banana,potatoes..others[google it]
    deydration.....water, fluids
    electrolights..ginger ale[diet]....Gatorade[has suger]
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue when I was doing low-carb and a banana a day fixed it.

Sounds like everyone agrees that it's potassium - I wanted to add that if you look for a supplement, be careful - I bought some without looking and they were like 3% of the RDA...what a waste of money! Go with the natural foods and you should feel a lot better very soon.