Job hunting, Credit report

Options
Wow, where to begun. I have a Large amount of student loan debt.In 45 out of the 50 states most companies pull your credit report. While my credit score is good, my credit report shows the massive amount of student loans I have.
My issues are
1. The degree I have from the last college does nothing for me. The University Misrepresented themselves.
2. Can't return back to any college because of loans being Maxed out.
3. Retail & restaurants stores won't give me a chance.
4. Each time i think I'm getting close I lose out to someone with a Criminal record (Note: I have NO criminal background)
5. i have a nice part time job but its only a small amount of hours (Which cannot increase)

I'm at a lose of words, at this point in my life I never thought I would be here.

Any Advice??? Thanks!!!

Replies

• sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Apply to work at AAA. They don't do credit checks. It's a great company to work for. They pay pretty decently and have great benefits.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Have you considered entrepreneurship? That's where I'm at these days. My experience with the corporate world has been less than stellar.

Do you know how to code? You could do something freelance.

It sounds like you need some outside-the-box thinking for your future work life.
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    Not sure on how to start I'm in a smaller town.
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Find an unpaid internship in a field where you'd like to work. Even if the job board doesn't have one posted, contact them with a killer resume and cover letter and beg for unpaid work. This will definitely get you a paid job somewhere after 6 months, and you aren't losing out on any money anyway.

I have a friend who does make spending cash off of amazon turk, but I couldn't personally handle it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Most companies dont pull your credit report...for now. Dont let it stop you from applying though, and if it is pulled and affects your chance of getting a job then you are within your rights to explain the situation to that employer. Stellar interviews can usually get you into the job more than anything else.

I'd go off on my why pulling a credit report is b-llsh-t rant, but I'll spare you all. Still B-LLSH-T!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Interview Better.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Have you already been turned down? And you are certain it's because of debt amount, no other reason?

I've had my credit report pulled 3 times during hiring and my understanding is that score and basic history is irrelevant. The credit report is used to identify issues beyond simple debt, defaults, and late payments. It's used to supplement background checking, not credit worthiness.
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    Interview Better.

It's getting the interview thats the problem.
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    Most companies dont pull your credit report...for now. Dont let it stop you from applying though, and if it is pulled and affects your chance of getting a job then you are within your rights to explain the situation to that employer. Stellar interviews can usually get you into the job more than anything else.

I'd go off on my why pulling a credit report is b-llsh-t rant, but I'll spare you all. Still B-LLSH-T!

Any major company will pull it, except in the 5 states where it's illegal.
  • GratefulRCC
    Options
    Have you already been turned down? And you are certain it's because of debt amount, no other reason?

I've had my credit report pulled 3 times during hiring and my understanding is that score and basic history is irrelevant. The credit report is used to identify issues beyond simple debt, defaults, and late payments. It's used to supplement background checking, not credit worthiness.

Yes, If I have X amount in debt, a retail chain will not take a chance on me. Other companies think if we pay him this amount he can't service his debts.