Self control

Options
:sad: Any tips on self control? Because I have none of it

Replies

• Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Best I can tell you is you really have to access the situation.

Are you REALLY hungry? Is it worth it? Why do you want it? If you walk away and find something to occupy your mind might the feeling leave? Is it worth the gulit you'll feel later?

Drink water, go for a walk, chew gum.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I lost self control a month ago. Elsewhere and can't find it :(
  • lorabledsoe
    lorabledsoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Make a list of all the reasons you want to get healthy and then tape it to the fridge and pantry.
  • cardozm
    cardozm Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i have lost it too..
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Self-control is a buzzword. It's less like imposing an iron will on yourself and more about just making the next better choice. Don't think about controlling your food intake this week. Just think about making the healthier decisions for dinner. That's it.

Think short term. The rest will take care of itself.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    :noway: My God!!!! Your Supposed To Have Self Control???!!!???:noway:

I all seriousness... Ive never had self control, that's how I became overweight in the first place :sad:

I still have no self control now... all I can do, is avoid the situation in the first place :angry:

I dont buy any of the stuff I know I shouldnt be eating (you know.. like any of the stuff that tastes good :wink: )

I tried buying small pots of desserts (to use as "congrats you did well this week, treat yourself").. But I would go and help myself to the ONE good treat for the week, and find ive just thrown away EVERY SINGLE good treats EMPTY pot :sad: :explode:

If its not there, I cant eat it.... If we go out for a meal, the boyfriend will.... :noway: VERY KINDLY:noway: .... remove the dessert menu before Ive even sat down lol

... In the end you need to do what works for you... for me its playing 'Ostrich' (sticking my head in the sand) If I cant see it, I cant eat it..

Good luck to you all on your continued mission :)

:flowerforyou:
  • ahimsa1990
    ahimsa1990 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I used to have bad self control and kind of have a "start tomorrow" mentality but have been progressively getting better over the last 4 months.

What has worked for me was taking the pressure off (it is not imperative that I have good self control all the time) and not letting myself get hungry, getting rid of unhealthy foods in my house and stocking up on healthy ones and eating the healthy snacks before I get to the ravenous stage. I make a smoothie with everything in it in the morning and usually that sets me up for good eating the rest of the day, that and water.

Also sweet tooth is satisfied with banana with peanut butter, honey, cinnamon, walnuts and some unsweetened greek yoghurt.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have found some success with STRUCTURE. I realized that, at least for now, I can't trust myself with the flexibility to chose different food every day. Too many bad things somehow make it into my mouth. So, for the past two weeks I have eaten the same thing every work day and that has really helped. I don't have to think about it or worry that I'll make a mistake. I'm staying within my calorie count but not having to stress out about it. I know I can't do this forever, but it almost feels liberating to not have to think about it for a while.
    So, get organized, see what you like, build in a healthy treat (mine is yogurt, fiber cereal, and 1tb of mini chocolate chips), and hopefully you'll see some results.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    You have to be willing to put the work into it. None of us have self control or want to watch what we eat. It is a lot of hard work but it is so worth it. It feels good to wear your clothes without them squeezing you to death.
  • happydreamy
    happydreamy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1> Remove yourself from the situation; walk away
    2> Stuff yourself with greens and nuts
    3> Guzzle warm water, it will fill you up
  • rosemary98
    Options
    my best advice would be to log your calories before consuming them. have a plan. but don't be overly hard on yourself either. if you are eating at an extreme deficit it may be hard to keep up. If you fail, don't use that as an excuse to give up...keep moving forward. get rid of the junk food and high calorie food (if your lifestyle/family allows it). keep foods around that you like, but are pre-measured and healthy. there are so many 100-calorie packs of this and that...it really helps me. find alternative binge foods. I used to binge on peanut butter (can't throw it out because I have family that eat it normally) so I bought peanut flour....1/4th of the calories and satisfies me.
  • addicted2numbers
    addicted2numbers Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started eating healthier, my cravings are almost gone. I crave apples more than chocolate. Fruit is my ultimate craving. If you want something fattening and yummy, make a healthy version. If you are really hungry one day then eat but eat healthy and workout more. I didn't lose any weight this week but I lost an inch from my waist and half inch from my thigh. I have a few recipes I found online if you want some. :) Also if I really want to eat something I just eat small amounts. I had candy from Halloween to satisfy my sweet tooth but ate something healthier after to become full and not want anymore. I know it's really hard!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Do you try and be too strict? Not everyone can quit junk food all together. Take it one step at a time. Either that or Move to add calories that you may eat back part of them. On days i know i will be splurging, i add an extra workout.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Planning meals and having something else to occupy time between meals helps.
  • Ralthor125
    Ralthor125 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Maybe I do to much, but this is how I gained full control over myself. Started off with a hard look in the mirror and a long talk with myself. I convinced myself that my brain is more powerful than my stomach. The stomach sends signals to eat. The frontal lobe, the part of your brain that reasons and understands consequences can get over powered by hunger if you let it, but in all actuality, it is the master. The stomach is not controlling me, I'm controlling me. I'll give my body what it needs to survive, not what it wants to feel good and not have to work for it. If my brain has to figure out how to fix a crashed server to get paid and eek out a living, then the stomach can shut the heck up and work with what I give it to give the body what it needs to achieve perfect health. You have to ask yourself: Are you a slave to your stomach?, or are you the master of your body!