My FB is flooded with the latest miracle shake ...

In January I started MFP. Tracked my calories, changed my diet to get more bang for my calorie, gave up pop, added lots of water, got a little more exercise (walking around the block or during my kids practices) and lost 40 lbs over 6 months. Raised my calories a little, kept up the exercise, still track my calories and I've maintained it for 3 more months. It's really very simple. I have 3 very active kids and a full time job - but I've made it work.

Yet, my facebook is flooded with all my friends doing this shake, or that shake, or this supplement, or that. I have messages from friends who want me to join them in my weight loss journey and busy life to drink this shake. When friends ask how I lost weight it has to be because I cut sugar, or carbs, or followed a specific diet. One person actually told me that she's hitting it hard to loose weight and when I mentioned MFP she said "I just can't do that". Aren't all of these some premis of less calories in - substituting a meal for something.

Just venting - I'm glad people are trying to get healthier and any method is good, it just frustrates me that something that should be so simple and a lifestyle is made so complicated.

Replies

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    I know the feeling, I tried once to bring a friend with me to the gym to show her that women can lift just like the boys She flipped out saying she didn't want to look bulky and wanted to just lose weight and not gain muscle.....I tried to explain to her that she doesn't have to starve herself to lose the pounds...but she wouldn't hear it....

I lost 20lbs in 6 months eating burgers and candy...she lost maybe 3lbs eating very little....and she constantly tells me that I look fantastic and whats my secret...and I keeping telling her eating at a deficit and working out...there is no miracle shortcut...just hard work.
  • sjkcwatson
    sjkcwatson Posts: 61 Member
    After several messages from the friend I finally responded that thanks, but no thanks, I've lost all the weight I need to by tracking my calories and have maintained it so I'm not looking to loose more and don't have the funds for extra shakes. I want my kids (particularly my daughter) to see a healthly lifestyle that includes being able to eat out, to have treats, and being active. It just seems everytime I turn around someone else is peddling a product of some sort that will make you loose all that weight without the effort. My next goal is to pick up the weights - just to add a new challenge over the winter and some extra toning.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    It stresses me out to see my friends who are on welfare spending hundreds of dollars on Advocare and Shakeology when it is literally free to put your fork down and take a walk around the block instead.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    I know what you mean - it is definitely annoying. I have one friend who is obsessed with Herbalife, and has been for at least the last year (possibly more), but from what I can tell, she hasn't actually lost any weight since she first became obsessed with the stuff. And now I see Plexus all over my facebook, and the skinny wraps, and shakes, shakes, shakes. I'm with you - thanks, but no thanks!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Hi

Sometimes you just have to let them be.

I found that people notice my fitness improvement and they asked : How ? They want to know which "pill/shake/powder/etc/etc" will help them to be less obese.

They do not want to hear: Calorie deficit and activity .
    Very few honorable exceptions are interested on changing their lifestyle for a healthier life.

I can only share my experience. Everybody has to follow their own journey, wherever it takes them
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i have friends that were talking about a certain shake and singing it's praises.

i commented that i find it's cheaper to buy protein powder and making my own shake.

"oh, but it has vitamins that a greater then any protein shake and are absorbed better!!"

really? i just take a multivitamin. but tell me, what kind of extra vitamins and how are they absorbed better?

you can google that yourself!! we don't remember all the scientific data

then their Coach chimed in and i walked away.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Your FB wall sounds a lot like mine.

When someone I know inboxes me with their latest/greatest weight loss miracle (I guess I'm a target because I'm 100lbs overweight, go figure) I ask them how much they have lost so far.

"30lbs in 1 month"
    "that's great! Wow! so what happens when do you stop taking pill/shake/wrap/etc?"
    "there is a maintenance package that you get at the end"
    "so you drink/wrap/consume that mess for the rest of your life? isnt that pricey? why not just eat real food at a calorie deficit and exercise, that way youre not paying for products and living a maintainable lifestyle?"
    "oh, its only 45 cents a day compared to real food! plus so many more vitamins, minerals, absorption rate blah blah blah"
    "prove it. and dont give me any info from the product website, give me info from a reputable agency, website or doctor that isnt paid by the company"

then my inbox is quieter for a few weeks until the new fad.

Everyone who knows me knows that I am changing my lifestyle and losing weight, but they all want to sell me a product or ask me how I do it and when I say calorie deficit and exercise, they run away screaming "that's too hard, give me my shake/pill/wrap crap!"

I've stopped trying to convert them and just smile when they tell me about money they have wasted
  • 86muffintop
    86muffintop Posts: 69 Member
    It stresses me out to see my friends who are on welfare spending hundreds of dollars on Advocare and Shakeology when it is literally free to put your fork down and take a walk around the block instead.

LOL!!! :laugh: :drinker:
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    i have friends that were talking about a certain shake and singing it's praises.

i commented that i find it's cheaper to buy protein powder and making my own shake.

"oh, but it has vitamins that a greater then any protein shake and are absorbed better!!"

really? i just take a multivitamin. but tell me, what kind of extra vitamins and how are they absorbed better?

you can google that yourself!! we don't remember all the scientific data

then their Coach chimed in and i walked away.

Lol, guess they don't know that the body only takes what it needs haha XD (vitamin-wise)
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    I totally know what you mean. I am an active runner and in a lot of women's running groups and they are always trying some crazy new fad to lose weight, but they talk about how they don't have time to eat healthy and they're so stressed because of their kids' schedules. But it's important to remember that so many people have had it drilled into their heads that losing weight is magic, or that if it worked for someone else it will work for them. It's marketing, deception, preying on people looking for help—you know. So the best thing you can do is be open about what has worked for you, and be supportive when the fads fail.

I have a friend who readily admits that she gets suckered into every diet ever, but we laugh about the dumb things she buys and how quickly she gives up (she and I laugh about it together), and then I invite her out to run/walk. Constantly. Even when she says no. I'll keep inviting!