Cut out negative influences

Options
I notice that I lose the most weight when I cut off people who think its ok to be fat and unhealthy. I'm in that situation now and wow my motivation just shot through the roof because I no longer have someone telling me its ok to be lazy and I have a lot more tme to workout. Anyone else notice the same?

Replies

• ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight when I got away from my mother, who had been on so many yo-yo diets and desired compliments regularly when I saw 0 progress. Not sure how she thought eating meat dipped in grease was healthy.

But yes, big change for me, as well.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Other people have zero to do with whether or not I exercise.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options

This right here. I have plenty of friends who are overweight. It's their choice to live that sort of lifestyle. I'll never hold it against them. I know when we go out they will have 0 influence on what I put in my body. The fitness game is 100% willpower and as long as you learn to say NO, you can have 100 fat friends and it won't even matter. Eventually they will come to you for help so be prepared for that.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

This right here. I have plenty of friends who are overweight. It's their choice to live that sort of lifestyle. I'll never hold it against them. I know when we go out they will have 0 influence on what I put in my body. The fitness game is 100% willpower and as long as you learn to say NO, you can have 100 fat friends and it won't even matter. Eventually they will come to you for help so be prepared for that.

Agreed....... Lead By Example...
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Absolutely and no better example than Ed.

If it helps to cut out certain people there's nothing wrong with that.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Yep. All this ^
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Ed, I've seen your story and just want to say that your transformation is absolutely effing incredible. :heart:

I also agree with the "lead by example" bit.
  • sassabella
    Options

Love it. Totally agree!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

Ed, I've seen your story and just want to say that your transformation is absolutely effing incredible. :heart:

I also agree with the "lead by example" bit.

Agreed with all of the above. .
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options

:smile:
  • starvinkevin
    Options
    I'm not talking about fat people at all - I'm talking about those people in your life that say you don't have to exercise or that distract you from exercising and eating right. For example I just dumped this girl because she took all of my time with her needs to the point that I couldn't exercise and take care of myself because it was all about her and never about my goals and also ended a friendship with this guy who was also skinny bur was all about eating out all the time. Basically I'm talking about relationships that hinder you from your goals in any way.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm not talking about fat people at all - I'm talking about those people in your life that say you don't have to exercise or that distract you from exercising and eating right. For example I just dumped this girl because she took all of my time with her needs to the point that I couldn't exercise and take care of myself because it was all about her and never about my goals and also ended a friendship with this guy who was also skinny bur was all about eating out all the time. Basically I'm talking about relationships that hinder you from your goals in any way.

I'm sorry..you ended a friendship with your skinny friend because they were eating all the time. :huh:

Um. Okay.

ETA: Helpful links for the OP and any lurkers

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105036-article-on-flexible-dieting-by-armi-legge?page=1#posts-17068746
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    You've just described my mother.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Don't worry I know what you mean. There are sooo many people who when I tell them I'm "watching what I eat" say "noooo forget about it, treat yourself! Just this once won't hurt! We all need a little indulgence once in a while! You're not fat anyway! You only live once! Why spend your whole life on a diet" blah blah blah. I can do without all that. Haven't ended any friendships over it but spending less time around those people and more time around those who actually want to help me achieve my goals is definitely better for me.

Also, when I finally got into exercising and would exercise 6 days a week (which is a healthy amount!) my Mum accused me of being "addicted to exercise" and said that all this exercise was going to make me "anorexic" and tried to ban me from doing any exercise to the extent that she tried to confiscate my workout DVDs... What!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

I am thankful for so many reasons that you are not my friend.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Not drinking your brand of fitness/weight loss kool-aid does not mean people are negative. Surround yourself with different types of people who do different things. You'll learn more.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I've noticed two things...I am doing more active things, which leaves less time for less active things and the people who only want to do those kind of things. The other thing is that I had to institute a no excuses policy for myself to make the changes necessary for my health, and it is now much more difficult for me to be around people constantly making excuses or saying one thing and then acting in a completely contradictory manner.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I pick my friends based on character. What they chose to do, or not do has no effect on my goals.