Out of Breath when running outside.

Options
When I run inside on a treadmill I can go for half an hour without getting tired. When I run outside I get winded so fast. After just a few minutes it feels like I'm breathing through cotton, even when I just walk fast.

I use nike+ both indoor and outdoor.

Should I be doing something different? Would adding cardio help (I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cardio).

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Nothing that hasn't happened to many people who are treadmill runners.

Treadmill is much easier in most cases.

Running out doors you have to pace yourself, opposed to a machine that paces you. There is weather/wind & terrain you don't have to deal with on a treadmill. Run slower than you think you should, it just takes time to adjust.
  • snsmyth
    snsmyth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Running outside tends to be harder, so I would say just slow down and focus on your breathing until you can make the transition.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slow a lot slower than you think. You should be able to hold a conversation. Don't worry if it seems too slow speed will come in time
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    It sounds as if you are having difficulty in regulating your run outside I use a HRM and set max HR alarm so I work out at 75-85% of my max HR, before doing this I had a similar problem to you, now I average 3 times as long easily.
  • newlorih
    newlorih Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...I asked my doctor and he said it could be allergies..BUT I don't have any, so if you hear why...PLEASE share with me. Thanks and Good Luck :)
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Run slower.

Once I started setting the treadmill at a 1.0 or so incline and running that way, it became easier to run outside.
    Outside isn't flat.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above... Running outside's going to be harder. It could be as simple as the surface you're running on, but check your pace and your gait. The treadmill controls your run more than you think.

Allergies, temperature & humidity can play a big role as well, at least when you're first starting... That part's gotten better for me since I first switched to the road from the treadmill. :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Outside doesn't move under your feet so you have to put a lot more effort into running. I love my treadmill because I can bang off 5K in 25 minutes on there but the best I've ever been able to do outside is a hair under 30 minutes on a perfectly flat course. Keep running outside and it will get easier but it will never be as easy as a treadmill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's running.
    outside. and it's cold.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting to have happen to be honest.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Where I live it's pretty hilly, but even on the streets that seem flat there is a slight grade. Try running the opposite route and see if it's easier :)
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Where I live it's pretty hilly, but even on the streets that seem flat there is a slight grade. Try running the opposite route and see if it's easier :)

I got winded today walking to the buss, and that is about as flat as it gets in the city I live in. I'm pretty sure it's the cold wrecking havoc on my lungs.
  • dbra58
    dbra58 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know running outside is harder than running on a treadmill...but my thoughts are going in a different direction. Do you have asthma? You may not notice wheezing, but do you have coughing spells when you are not sick? Wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, a feeling of tightness in your chest are all symptoms of asthma. And yes, cold can be a trigger.

A couple of months ago I was unable to walk as far as I had been, started having shortness of breath and coughing. My asthma had been controlled for so long my doc said I could stop the meds; I'm back on them now and that is all better. I carry my rescue inhaler every time I go out, things can go downhill in a hurry. Don't let it scare you, go to the doctor and see what they say.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I think that it's because it's easier for you to run on a treadmill. You have the rails for your arms to rest, so you're not holding them up. Also, I really don't know just how fast I'm going on the treadmill, even if it says a certain number - if that makes sense. You may be going slower than the treadmill actually says, and once you go outside and run faster (the actual speed), you can't do it.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    I did when I was younger, actually, but it haven't been a problem for years. But I think I'm going to get it looked at.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Nothing that hasn't happened to many people who are treadmill runners.

Treadmill is much easier in most cases.

Running out doors you have to pace yourself, opposed to a machine that paces you. There is weather/wind & terrain you don't have to deal with on a treadmill. Run slower than you think you should, it just takes time to adjust.

This, for sure. You don't have the treadmill pacing you. You are probably running faster than you think you are. Slow down until you build up your outdoor stamina. :drinker:
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all the responses. Running outside is just harder because you don't have a machine pacing you. If you're like me, you feel like a kid first getting outside for recess, and you start out at a pace that is not sustainable. I've learned to begin slower than I think I can go.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had this problem before I got used to running outside - I have mild asthma and being active in the cold weather was brutal and I used to need to take a hit off my inhaler before I like, went on a hike or something. But now that I'm outside almost every morning in the cold I'm more used to it and haven't used my inhaler for running.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Shifting running terrains is basically like learning to run all over again. Experienced runners know to download and work up when changing running surfaces, beginners....not so much. We don't want to slow down because we get it stuck in our head that if we do, then it will harm our progress. But that isn't true.

When you shift terrains, you should actually download 25-50%, depending on how long you have been running for and if you have ran on the terrain in the past. For example, if you are averaging 3 miles per treadmill session, you should be downloading to about 2-2.5 miles when you shift, and then working back up over the course of 2-3 weeks. This gives your body time to adjust to the stress of the new surface.
  • mitchiemo
    mitchiemo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Running outside is harder but its much more fun.
    Log your outdoor running on...
    http://www.mapmyrun.com/
    and you'll also get a chart of the terrain/inclines.

If you don't already, increase your incline on the treadmill and it will make it a bit easier outdoors. Also, in my opinion, the treadmill does do some of the work of running for you whereas outdoors its all you.