The bad thing about being tall with an hourglass figure...

Options
I am tall (5'10") and, even as heavy as I am, still have an hourglass figure -- (relatively) small waist, big hips, big chest.
This is fabulous in theory, but when you carry your weight evenly and are losing a pound of fat from here and there instead of just off your gut or thighs, it takes FOREVER to start showing.
I am approaching 20 lbs lost (I am on target to get there by next Thursday) and, other than my jeans being baggy, you really can't tell. Granted, I have another 80+ lbs to lose, but it seems like there should be SOME obvious difference (after all, that's one-fifth of my goal)! I've lost inches but, once again, I've lost them evenly so it doesn't really show.
I am losing weight to get healthy more than anything else, but I admit to still being shallow enough to want my progress to be visible! :blushing:
For those of you who have been losing significant amounts of weight, when does it start to be obvious?
After 25 pounds? 30 pounds??? 50 pounds?????
I hope it doesn't take that long!

Replies

• championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Congrats on weight loss! Everyone is differant.....keep doing what your doing and your goal will be achieved!!:wink:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    People are only just starting to notice for me.......
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I'm in exactly the same position, not as tall as you but have lost it fairly evenly it appears (not off my chest yet) But 2 inches off underbust doesnt show to anyone. When your boobs pull the fabric from skimming your body I guess it will be a long time to start showing loss even on my belly. I wore my clothes comfortable loose and theyre looser but not noticable to anyone else yet. Ah well, looking forward to when it is noticeable.
  • kellybelly113
    kellybelly113 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'10". They started noticing like last week, but I only have about 30 or 40 more lbs to go to get where I want to be. So I think the more you have to loose the longer it takes for people to notice. I totally understand though, it's such a positive reinforcement to have people notice! But good job. I feel like I should have lost more than just 14 lbs by now, but I know I've lost at least one inch if not two. So take comfort in that. GOOD JOB!!!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I can see how it might be frustrating, but it could be worse! I'm down to my last 25 pounds to lose and it's all in the belly, lol. I have very shapely and toned arms and legs and finally that tight bubble butt, but it's a struggle with a jiggly belly, lol. Thankfully it is going away. :) It just happens to be the first place I put on and last place to lose from.
  • takethepieces
    Options
    I don't think it matters too much about your body shape...your body will do whatever it wants to do. I hold most of my weight on my stomach and yet the place I have lost most is my top half. I am a UK size 20 on the bottom, but a 14/16 on the top. At least you look better and more in proportion while you are losing. I'm sure people can tell a difference now, but it's subtle and harder to see in ourselves. I would say I personally started noticing a difference in myself at around 30lbs lost...but that is out of a goal of 122lbs. I've lost 60.8lbs so far and I've dropped roughly 3 dress sizes if that helps. Oh, just in case u wanted to know I started off at 267, I'm currently 215.2 and I'm 5 foot 8.
  • candessb
    candessb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've heard..."10 you'll notice, 20 some will notice and 30 everyone will notice".
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm an hourglass as well, and it did take about 30 pounds to REALLY make a difference. I have 75 lbs to lose total, and I lost the first 15 without realizing it. But my family apparently did. I got a few comments last Christmas (I lost the weight at college my last semester and I didn't have a scale). So even if you don't see it, other people might.

Now that I'm 60 pounds less than when I started, the difference is amazing. I just got out all my winter clothes for the season. Only about 1/4 even made it into my closet, and even those are a bit big. Just stick with it, results will definitely start to show.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 91/2 with an hourglass figure too. Its only in the last week or two anyone (other than my Mum and hubby) have noticed. And now they are asking if I'm ill!!! With a BMI of 22.6 I'm at a healthy weight for my height, I feel like I can't win. I either look fat or ill. :sad:
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem only I am 5 ft 3. I have lost 9 pounds, which is half my goal so quite a lot for me and while I can see the difference if I look really hard and make myself STARE at photos of myself before I lost the weight, I don't think it's that visible either. Don't worry though, the great thing about having an hourglass figure is that you will have a bangin bod when you reach your goal weight. Just imagine your perfectly toned, curvy self at your goal weight in a bikini and that should cheer you up when you get annoyed about not seeing the results now!
  • smarie62
    Options
    Maybe it depends on who the person is to you. My granny noticed at 16lbs. lost, and she has always said I was fat. However, I don't expect my arch-enemy sister to ever notice, even if when I turn sideways you can't see me! As long as you notice, keep up the good work!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is different. I personally really notice the difference in my face, but the only person that has noticed without me saying anything asked if I had a breast reduction. (I have gone from a DD to a C). Guess i am only losing in my boobs :(

Maybe when my bresats are totally gone my belly will join in the fun!
  • jenreth
    jenreth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When you say there's no visible difference... is this what you can see? Or other people? Sometimes we see ourselves so often that we adjust our mental picture... we don't notice the change... what do people who last saw you before you started losing weight say?

I'm 5 7 and didn't seem to put on weight on my top half, I still wear the same tops as when I was thin. I don't notice any difference even though I've lost 8kg (16 pounds?) my partner can't really see much difference either. But people who don't see me very often are amazed with 'how much weight i've lost'. Almost all my friends (who I don't see as much as I would like!) can see, and even people who have no reason to flatter me
  • jenreth
    jenreth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When you say there's no visible difference... is this what you can see? Or other people? Sometimes we see ourselves so often that we adjust our mental picture... we don't notice the change... what do people who last saw you before you started losing weight say?

I'm 5 7 and didn't seem to put on weight on my top half, I still wear the same tops as when I was thin. I don't notice any difference even though I've lost 8kg (16 pounds?) my partner can't really see much difference either. But people who don't see me very often are amazed with 'how much weight i've lost'. Almost all my friends (who I don't see as much as I would like!) can see, and even people who have no reason to flatter me
  • sbfrog48
    Options
    There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with being an hourglass figure! I'm 5'7" and feel fabulously feminine! Who cares if anyone notices if you look different, HOW DO YOU FEEL?? Healthier, happier, accomplished!?!! Go for it girl.
    I lost 1" off my waist and didn't even notice it. My trainer had to tell me, duoh!!
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    yeah i'm alittle over 5'9 and about the same body type or atleast i am proportional from top to bottom.
    If you've already lost 25, you should be feeling the change in clothes...but you look at yourself in the mirror every day and the one place others will notice it first and you may not...is your face. lol The rest of it will come of course, but if you are slimming out all over your face will be too and your neck...though everyone's body is different so it might take a bit more time for all over results.
  • kayleigh333
    Options
    I bet people have noticed, it's just a lot of the time they don't know whether to say anything in case it offends you (weird I know), or if they're a bit bigger themselves they feel jealous and guilty for not doing anything about it! I lost 19 pounds and not a single person said anything, sooo frustrating when you know how much hard work you've put in! But then last week I started back at uni and a girl on my course came over and said she couldn't believe how much weight I'd lost!
  • rafaelwall
    Options
    Kate1500, judging from your pictures, you look healthily great. Keep it up.
  • Kaye8395BTS
    Kaye8395BTS Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am a lot shorter than you are, but I do have the hour glass figure. I started with 120 lbs to loose and I didn't notice it with my clothes not fitting anymore until about 40 lbs. At least I hung on to the clothes I had for as long a possible because I couldnt buy new ones! but it will happen! your on a great track! congrats!
  • DawnMichelle68
    DawnMichelle68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am tall (5'10") and, even as heavy as I am, still have an hourglass figure -- (relatively) small waist, big hips, big chest.
    This is fabulous in theory, but when you carry your weight evenly and are losing a pound of fat from here and there instead of just off your gut or thighs, it takes FOREVER to start showing.
    I am approaching 20 lbs lost (I am on target to get there by next Thursday) and, other than my jeans being baggy, you really can't tell. Granted, I have another 80+ lbs to lose, but it seems like there should be SOME obvious difference (after all, that's one-fifth of my goal)! I've lost inches but, once again, I've lost them evenly so it doesn't really show.
    I am losing weight to get healthy more than anything else, but I admit to still being shallow enough to want my progress to be visible! :blushing:
    For those of you who have been losing significant amounts of weight, when does it start to be obvious?
    After 25 pounds? 30 pounds??? 50 pounds?????
    I hope it doesn't take that long!

I know what you mean about it not showing.... do you do log your measurments.. that's where the numbers will show for you besides the scale.... i was writing mine down.. and today i decided to log them here... I am down 2 inches every where... I was so stoked..... if you don't do maybe try that.. it built me up : )