how to handle long days and less food...and exercize

Options
I have a question.I'm a nurse and get up at 5,get to work at 630 and get home from work at 8pm.I know I shouldn't eat past a certain hour,like 6 or 7,but a lot of times it's too busy at work to eat a proper supper so I end up eating at 8-830 when I get home and by then,I'm seriously lacking self control-starved and tired. Anyone figure this one out yet? I usually work at least 4 days a week (2 jobs) so...
It seems like the longer your days ,the more likely it is that one will fit in 4 meals instead of 3, and a lot more snacks! Also, it's really hard to exercize on work days-which out number non work days. My sister says all I have to do is take up walking. I wore a pedometer for a couple days and found that we walk 3 miles a day-sometimes more depending how busy work is that day. If I had a desk job and took up walking, then I could see how that could help but ...does anyone work out after working long days and how do you feel?

Replies

• suevittorioso
    Options
    I have a question.I'm a nurse and get up at 5,get to work at 630 and get home from work at 8pm.I know I shouldn't eat past a certain hour,like 6 or 7,but a lot of times it's too busy at work to eat a proper supper so I end up eating at 8-830 when I get home and by then,I'm seriously lacking self control-starved and tired. Anyone figure this one out yet? I usually work at least 4 days a week (2 jobs) so...
    It seems like the longer your days ,the more likely it is that one will fit in 4 meals instead of 3, and a lot more snacks! Also, it's really hard to exercize on work days-which out number non work days. My sister says all I have to do is take up walking. I wore a pedometer for a couple days and found that we walk 3 miles a day-sometimes more depending how busy work is that day. If I had a desk job and took up walking, then I could see how that could help but ...does anyone work out after working long days and how do you feel?
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I have a couple of suggestions. Having been in similar situations. take a lunch cooler to work with you filled with the diet appropriate foods. eat those during the day as time allows, this will help take care of the control issue. eat your substantial meal at breakfast, use the snack baggies at work and drink a protein drink for your dinner. maybe stop and pick up a small salad. and have them in the car on the way home. depending on your commute this will give you digestion time and you will sleep better not going to bed on a full stomach. oddysey makes a fantastic protein replacement bar that tastes just like a snickers. it has 7 carbs, all your vitamins and 17 protein, I cut it into pieces and eat that as needed. or use it as my night meal. what time do you go to sleep? is there a 10 min window you can use to do some simple stretches? and you can always do the secret exercises we all know about. the tummy sucks while standing still, or at the desk, the butt clinches while seated. sit down and stand up 10 times in a row at your desk. push ups against the wall when no one is looking. anything to use your muscles in different ranges of motion. drop a pen on the floor several times a day and bend from the waist to pick it up. while in the bathroom stall, do ten side twists before you leave the stall. (use the handicap stall so your elbows don't hit!!) I am currently working a sit down job, so anytime I have to leave my desk I stand up and sit down a couple of extra times and then take the longest route I can find to the file room and back, even better if I can find an empty stair well. well, I don't know how much use you will find in them for your daily routine, but the only other option is get up 45 minutes early. :grumble:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Take food with you so you have the right food for the right time. Plan meals and snacks ahead of time and make your snacks easy, because as a nurse I am sure you don't get much down time so you want to be able to eat on the go.

Next, I think it has been said by many that it doesn't matter when you eat just that you make the right choices and exercise. If you think about it you would ideally eat 5-6 small meals about every three hours so your body is going to fast during sleep 6-8 hours. There is no proof that food eatten late at night or before the sun goes down digest or add weight or deposit fat any differently that any other food eatten through the day. Extra calories are what you need to avoid so no eatting an entire pizza right before bed!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I agree taking along some good snacks that will be satisfying for a long period of time might help you. Something like nuts and dates and things. I use those at work quite often. They are easy to just take a quick bite is nice when you are on the go.

For lunch you might consider a pea soup or yams (I like both of those) anything that is high in fiber or protein will help keep you satisfied. I like to premake my soup then take it for lunch if I am working a long day.
  • suevittorioso
    Options
    Thanks all-good suggestions.I really need to plan eating instead of mindless eating.Robot woman goes down to cafeteria-that's me.
  • bricker06
    bricker06 Posts: 316
    Options
    i to work long days 9 am til 9pm 2 days a week on those days i take all my meals with me and eat when i have time. sometimes i need to eat my meal at 9pm but i do it at work before i leave so im less tempted when i get home.