Friends Commenting on Your Weight Loss

Options
Just wondering if having your friends comment on your weight loss helps to motivate you. What else motivates you?

Replies

• ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was more motivated by getting back down to a healthy weight. I thought it was weird when friends/colleagues started commenting.
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I hav'nt lost enough weight yet for people to comment, but it would make me feel good. When people asked me if I was pregnant and I had to tell them" no im just fat" that was definatley motivating enough to get me moving my *kitten* :smile:
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Personally, just login the readings then study them at the end of each month is enough to motivate me to work harder. For some reason, I like attaining those number goals.

When I first get commented on my weight loss, it was definitely exciting and I went on telling that person what I did. For the next few who asked, I always gave the standard answers; diet and exercise. It's getting dry to be honest. I wish people stop bringing up.
  • cheninmatthews21
    cheninmatthews21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really motivate me, as i'm looking to lose weight for my health and not my image. It feels sorta nice, I suppose... But I try not to base my self worth on it, if you know what I mean.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It is nice to know that the changes I see are not in head. lol

But I am doing this for me. No one else, for me. ;-)
  • stryder2807
    stryder2807 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with most people here that it is nice hearing positive comments from friends and family but it is not the main source of motivation.
  • Txsteach
    Txsteach Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've only had one person comment so far...it was great!
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've not lost enough for friends to notice yet, but the support I get off my MFP friends makes me feel great about any little achievement :)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I’ve always been uncomfortable socially with compliments, but they make me feel all warm and fuzzy. They don't offer a lot of motivation though, except when they happen to be from my mama or my husband. :smooched:
  • ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I hav'nt lost enough weight yet for people to comment, but it would make me feel good. When people asked me if I was pregnant and I had to tell them" no im just fat" that was definatley motivating enough to get me moving my *kitten* :smile:
    [/quote

This! I gained 60+ pounds all to my tummy, so I get asked pregnancy related questions constantly, and I always feel ashamed when I have to reply that I just over-ate myself into fatness. :sad: ]
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think that you main motivation should be something more intrinsic to you (ie. you want to get back in shape, or fit into something from your past, or be able to run a 5K....etc.).

Having said that, I am away at graduate school and recently (over the summer) went to a wedding for friends from college in Columbus, OH. I hadn't seen many of the people there in at least 6 months and then there were a few camping trips/vacations with family members that I hadn't seen in a while either and many people commented on my weight loss. I can't lie.....it feels good.

When you're losing weight...it's easier for you to tell (when your getting dressed or doing some activity that you possibly used to have trouble with). It takes a lot longer and a much more significant change [I've found] until those around you actually notice or get up enough guts to actually say something. So I think sometimes there can be frustration when YOU know you're getting better, but no one else has said anything yet. It just takes more time since they aren't as familiar with your body or capabilities.

So it shouldn't be the only or main motivating factor but it really does feel good when it happens.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I like when my MFPals comment on my weight loss, but in real life I mostly just brush off any comments. Oddly, it's kind of personal and more indicative of a change in the way I see the world and talking about weight loss is too much like reliving the past. I am done with that part! Now, ask me about my fitness goals or exercise and we can talk!