Anyone here to lose an extreme amount of weight?

Options
I am on week two of my new lifestyle journey, and I have set my weight loss goal to lose 300lbs. I am presently over 500 and am considering pursuing gastric bypass as a drastic measure to help get this weight off before my body can no longer tolerate it. If I can find success without surgery, all the better.

What I want to know is, is there anyone else on this site that is trying to lose an extreme amount of weight? I think there is understanding to be found in other people who share my specific challenge, although I do admire and appreciate ANYONE who is making the change to a healthier life!

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the decision to a healthier life! I do on not need to lose the amount you are talking about, but have seen stickers of some who have. If you don't get a response, check the various forums and groups and you will certainly find some.
  • IdaBigelow
    Options
    I have a hundred to lose and I know how overwhelming even that can be at times. I wish you the very best of luck and I know you can find all the support you desire here!! Just remember one day at a time!!
  • anitasongs
    anitasongs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Both I am my hubby were over 500 lbs at one point ...He has lost 175lbs and I have lost over 80 lbs.. Stay true to yourself. Do this for you and start with smaller goals....losing 300 lbs sounds like an awesome task but 20 by New years or in 2 months is realistic.
    Stay to the calories that keep you satisfied and log your food and weigh yourself even if you do bad...and DONT QUIT...

Don’t Quit!
    When you’ve eaten too much and you can’t write it down
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
    When you want to Give up just because you gave in
    And forget all about being healthy and thin.
    So what, you went over your points just a bit
    It’s the next move that counts…So Don’t You Dare Quit

It’s a moment of truth, it’s an attitude change.
    It’s learning the skills to get back in your range.
    It’s telling yourself you’ve done great up ‘til now
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow.
    It’s part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You’re still Gonna make it, just stay in Control.

To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to Get Back in the Race.
    But, often the strugglers, when losing their grip
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip!
    And learn too late when the damage is done,
    That the race wasn’t over and they still could’ve Won.

Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow
    But facing each challenge will help you grow.
    Success is failure turned inside out
    The silver tint turned inside out
    The silver tint in the cloud of doubt.
    When you’re pushed to the brink, just refuse to submit.
    If you bit it you writ it…BUT DON’T YOU DARE QUIT!
  • honeybun31
    Options
    Hi There...I have been at this for way to many years trying to lose the same 100 + pounds. I had a gastric bypass years ago and lost 170 pounds and have gained most of it back over the years. Our weight problem is in our heads not in our "hand". I hope you continue on with MFP, it's a great tool to help with the hungry times and seeing what you eat will help to make better choices. I'm still on the journey, I hope we both get healthy. Keep going, don't give up even if you blow it for a day or week, made a turn around and keep going.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You have made a great first step by being here! Good luck on your journey!! You can do this and I believe in you!!!
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just want to wish you all the best through each step of your journey.
  • Hollyrose90
    Options
    I'm here to lose 100 pounds as well. I keep losing my motivation and having to start over again and again, and I know its hard for me. I'm getting married next April and although I know I won't be able to reach my total goal weight by then, I'm still gonna try for as much as I can and try like hell to maintain my motivation and remember to eat the right foods EVERY DAY! We can do this!
  • emienne
    emienne Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started at 304 and am down almost 38, with at least 120 to go. I feel like I haven't gotten anywhere yet and that my goal is impossible. I'm trying not to think of it like that. I just keep putting one foot in front of the next and keep plodding away.
  • newlife6745
    newlife6745 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    @anitasongs love the poem. Thanks for sharing. Don't quit. Good luck. We are all here to support each other.
  • katgolightly66
    Options
    Hey there , I have been there, have had to lose 100lbs and still working take care I know you can :)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    well I only want to lose 100lbs but I am youtube buddies with a lot of people who have to lose much more than that. They are doing it slow and steady by diet and exercise. I do have some youtube buddies that have had the lapband surgery and from what I see: they lost a lot of weight at first (sixty or so lbs but only at first, after that it was back to 2 or 3lbs a week.)... but they have to still do diet and exercise and then the pain from recovery and getting sick when eating the "wrong" kind of foods makes me want to tell you that there really is NO quick fixes that don't come with problems or risk. IF you set your mind that you will lose this weight and then modify your diet and daily activity then you will lose it while getting in shape guaranteed. Just take it one day at a time and say every single day "Just for today" and "Just do it" then you will get there.
  • LittleonebeforethethroneofGod
    Options
    I'm not sure if 112 lbs is an extreme amount of weight, but for me it is ALOT. If I can manage to do this, I will be weighing less than I was in high school.......
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I was almost the same weight as you at the time. I was almost over 500 pounds myself, but I had to change my lifestyle and my eating habits as well. I was opting to get the Gastric Bypass surgery; however,my doctor recommended me to get the Gastric Sleeve Surgery instead. Although I somehow regret my decision, I am happy that I am losing the weight.

Before I had the surgery, I weighed about 420 pounds. When I had my Sleeve surgery, I weighed about 364 pounds. Right now, I weigh about 280 pounds. So, from where I was before, I almost lost over 150 pounds. My weight loss goal is to be at least 200 pounds. It may take time, but I am getting there.

Don't quit now! You are halfway there. I support you and your goals. We all must support each other in our weight loss goals and dreams. You can do it. Just believe in yourself.
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    I actually have two different weight goals. I started off at 355 pounds and my first goal is to hit the same weight I got married at: 225. This would be a weight loss of 130 pounds.

My second is going to depend on how I feel at 225. Theoretically I should be down to 180 which would make my total weight loss 170 pounds. I've just started but I do have the backing of my family and I know that is going to go a long way in motivating me.

Keep up the fighting spirit and I will see you at the finish line.
  • kimlynn919
    kimlynn919 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Both I am my hubby were over 500 lbs at one point ...He has lost 175lbs and I have lost over 80 lbs.. Stay true to yourself. Do this for you and start with smaller goals....losing 300 lbs sounds like an awesome task but 20 by New years or in 2 months is realistic.
    Stay to the calories that keep you satisfied and log your food and weigh yourself even if you do bad...and DONT QUIT...

Don’t Quit!
    When you’ve eaten too much and you can’t write it down
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
    When you want to Give up just because you gave in
    And forget all about being healthy and thin.
    So what, you went over your points just a bit
    It’s the next move that counts…So Don’t You Dare Quit

It’s a moment of truth, it’s an attitude change.
    It’s learning the skills to get back in your range.
    It’s telling yourself you’ve done great up ‘til now
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow.
    It’s part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You’re still Gonna make it, just stay in Control.

To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to Get Back in the Race.
    But, often the strugglers, when losing their grip
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip!
    And learn too late when the damage is done,
    That the race wasn’t over and they still could’ve Won.

Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow
    But facing each challenge will help you grow.
    Success is failure turned inside out
    The silver tint turned inside out
    The silver tint in the cloud of doubt.
    When you’re pushed to the brink, just refuse to submit.
    If you bit it you writ it…BUT DON’T YOU DARE QUIT!

Thanks for that poem, Love it!!

as for me, im looking to lose 120 or so in the long run, but im taking it a little at a time. i thought about doing surgery, but ultimately i think i would be best for me to try without ...being a single mom who works ridiculous hours. whatever you decide, i wish you lots of luck! you can DO this!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Go get em!

I've got about 40lbs to lose (maybe, that is just off the top of my head as I use kilos not pounds)
  • KBoddu
    KBoddu Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I have about 120 to lose. Feel free to add me. =)
  • AronKishore
    Options
    I have to lose 159 lbs :)
    Feel free to add me :)
    Or I'll just add you instead xP
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! I've got a total of 200ish to lose. 25 down, 175 left to go. Feel free to add me if you like. :)
  • sdcashauna
    Options
    I just started 2 days ago. I went for my first physical in 12 years and when I stepped on the scale and watched the weight go up and up and up. I started crying. I was in deep denial and did not realize how overweight I was. My goal is to loose 100lbs. You just keep going day by day and you will loose the weight you want. Congrats on making the life choice to change and to live.