athlete looking for some buddies to help me stay on track!

Options
Hi all,
I've tried this a few times before, and always managed to not follow through and achieve my goals. This time, I plan on achieving them and hopefully having a few buddies this time might help out. Goal: 20 pounds by the end of March. Stretch goal: 25.

A little about me: this week I hit my all time highest weight. Although I love hitting those PRs, this was not one I was happy to achieve. Coupled with a desire to complete my first marathon next fall while minimizing pounding on my feet and knees, this seems to be the right time to get back on the wagon (or in my case, the bike). I generally work out a lot- last summer I trained for (and completed) my first international distance triathlon, two half marathons, and a 100 mile bike ride. It has become clear to me that those extra pounds are literally slowing me down (and probably taking a toll on my body). I really want to be competitive, and I think I can be if I lose 25 pounds or so.

I love food! And my problem is over eating. I stress eat, mindlessly munch, and somehow, never seem to get full. Combined with the fact that I'm a little hyper thyroid, I'm basically capable of being a bottomless pit (unfortunately, with consequences). I definitely need to learn how to recognize when I've had enough, how to be better aware of what and how much I'm eating. Also, a lot of my social life involves eating out/eating with friends/cooking with friends/eating more.

Any other crazies want to do this with me? I'm pretty sure I can squeeze in 5 or 6 decent workouts a week but I'm pretty sure I need some help with eating reasonable amounts, and in general, accountability. Sound good? Let's be buddies!

Replies

• ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You are MUCH faster than I am (peeped your profile), but I'm also a triathlete and I'm doing my second half marathon this weekend, so, if you're interested I'd love to be friends!
  • eabernst
    eabernst Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ha! Haven't hit those....yet ;) Second half marathons are great ones for PRs!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just be aware of what your actual total energy expenditure is as an endurance athlete. Many athletes, and people in general, greatly underestimate their actual TDEE in studies involving self-reported intake vs doubly labeled water tests. One of my old textbooks cite a study on elite athletic female runners with TDEE ranging from 2800 to 3500 calories in contrast to self-reported intakes that were 10 to 34% below actual. My point is if you underestimate your actual TDEE, you could be assuming a large deficit by default which can result in excessive loss of lean mass and poor athletic performance.