Working out before breakfast

Options
I am not sure to put this topic here or with fitness and exercise, but here is the deal.

I do NOT like breakfast. I usually just don't feel ready to eat in the morning, but I know it's very important, so I should.
The thing is, I also bike to school for about 5 km, which I would then do on an empty stomach, and then I eat something like two hours later.
Should I really set myself to eat breakfast or would this be better since I am doing exercise on an emptry stomach?

Replies

• Ramatang
    Ramatang Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was told by my trainer that if you want to exercise on an empty stomach then you should eat within half an hour after your bike ride. Even if its something small like a muesli bar or a protein shake.
  • dancephysics
    Options
    Does exercising on an empty stomach make you feel weak or crappy? If so, then you should probably have a little something beforehand, like a banana.

But if you feel fine during your bike ride, then it doesn't really matter when you eat. If you were doing some serious cardio or weight training, it would probably be beneficial to eat before, but your exercise just seems casual. If you were training and were concerned about gains or improvement, I'd probably say to eat something, but since you ride for transportation, I don't think it's a big deal if you eat later (as long as you feel fine.)
  • iechick
    iechick Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I break my fast at 11am and frequently do my walking/running before then. No issues over here :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I work out completely fasted.
    I usually just don't feel ready to eat in the morning, but I know it's very important, so I should.

Myth, meal timing is next to completely irrelevant.
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It's alright to exercise on an empty stomach if you don't feel hungry. As Ramatang mentions, it is a good idea to eat afterwards to replenish you're body's resources.
  • gaevren
    Options
    I always work out on an empty stomach. Mostly because I wake up at 3:45 am to exercise but also because if I eat anything I have to wait too long, or I start feeling sick. I always feel great working out fasted, so it's no biggie for me.

If it works for you, do it! Don't feel like you *have* to eat breakfast if you don't really need to.
  • nicknpick
    nicknpick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like working out with anything in my stomach. It doesn't seem to effect my performance in anyway. Actually, I think eating first would slow me down. I do eat a full meal as soon as I'm done. I find that by that point I'm very hungry!
  • kw1452
    kw1452 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I feel the opposite as everyone else here. Maybe its because I love breakfast. But I've read in many places that it is not good for you to exercise on a completely empty stomach. Your muscles not having any energy to pull from is counterintuitive. I dont know the science behind it but most things I have read say you should have something before exercise. And that something should be protein.

I wouldnt eat a whole meal right before exercising, because that could make you sick, but a glass of whole milk, a handful of almonds, a little tub of yogurt - something full of protein just to give your body a little boost before you hop on the bike.

And always eat afterword as soon as you can. At the bare minimum eat a protein filled meal within 4 hours. One book I read said that chocolate milk is the #1 best snack you can have right after a workout - its full of protein and carbohydrates to immediately boost your body's muscle building process.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Fasted training has been proven to elicit more fat burn. However it is recommended to consume some BCAAs prior or intra (during) fasted training to prevent muscle catabolism (muscle decomposition) I trained fasted during my cut from 221lbs 30% BF to 160lbs 12% BF and maintained much of my lean body mass. I incorporated fasted HIIT and strength training and had no problems what so ever. I also had BCAAs prior to HIIT and during strength training which I'm sure was the reason behind it. BCAAs serve as a shield against catabolism.
  • Amadbro
    Options
    I feel the opposite as everyone else here. Maybe its because I love breakfast. But I've read in many places that it is not good for you to exercise on a completely empty stomach. Your muscles not having any energy to pull from is counterintuitive. I dont know the science behind it but most things I have read say you should have something before exercise. And that something should be protein.

I wouldnt eat a whole meal right before exercising, because that could make you sick, but a glass of whole milk, a handful of almonds, a little tub of yogurt - something full of protein just to give your body a little boost before you hop on the bike.

And always eat afterword as soon as you can. At the bare minimum eat a protein filled meal within 4 hours. One book I read said that chocolate milk is the #1 best snack you can have right after a workout - its full of protein and carbohydrates to immediately boost your body's muscle building process.

This is false...eating before training CAN be beneficial for satiety purposes and topping off glycogen stores but that's about it. Your body has glycogen stored from previous meals that it will draw from along with fat. If you're on a lower carb diet then your body will almost be exclusively pulling its energy from fat stores. If you were to have something pre/intra workout it should come in the form of low gi carbs. Protein has little to no effect taken pre workout aside from a recovery standpoint.

The book you read about chocolate milk being great post workout is true, that's because after training your body is very sensitive to insulin. Chocolate milk contains dextrose, a simple sugar which spikes insulin. Insulin is a key horomone in protein synthesis and when spiked post workout can have a great advantage in aiding repair. I see alot of guys eat gummy bears, pure dextrose, chocolate milk post workout. It's probably the only time these simple sugars actually do good.

Link to a few studies: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147420943
    Weisgarber KD, Candow DG, Vogt E SM.
    SourceFaculty of Kinesiology and Health Studies

Post workout is a different story, that is when you should take advantage of your bodys sensitivity to insulin (or "anabolic window" if you believe in that) and get a good post workout meal in.

So fasted training is the way to go..if you're afraid of catabolism just take some BCAAs prior and you'll be fine.
  • skyby7
    skyby7 Posts: 8
    Options
    Not eating before a workout is ok, but not eating after a workout is unsafe.

Your muscle tissues are damaged after a workout and your body needs protein, carbs, and fats to help recover.

You can seriously injure yourself if you don't properly recover.
  • Amadbro
    Options

Your muscle tissues are damaged after a workout and your body needs protein, carbs, and fats to help recover.

Lots of truth in this post
  • fhargis0002
    fhargis0002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity almost every morning on an empty stomach. However, if something happens and I have to wait a couple hours to workout, then I go ahead and eat otherwise I feel weak during my exercise. Definitely eat something afterwards, even if its not a meal, just to refuel your body.
  • aejonker
    aejonker Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks a lot! I don´t feel bad after the workout at all, and it´s not a really heavy workout (depending on the wind ofcourse). I thought about doing interval to burn more calories but I usually just do it at regular speed.

I will keep in mind to get something afterwards though, thanks for the tips!
  • Amadbro
    Options

It is best to workout in the morning on an empty stomach, and then eat a normal noon meal.
    Why?
    A good workout involves damaging the muscle tissue, so it can then regenerate and grow and become stronger. Increasing muscle mass. So obviously it is best if you create an environment where this can occur after a workout.
    What makes muscles grow? You need a "soup" of amino acids, growth hormone, and insulin.
    When you workout in the morning before eating anything, your body is in a "stress" state with relatively high levels of Growth Hormone. Also, cortisol is promoting the breakdown of labile (note "labile") protein. Insulin levels, however, are very low during this stress period.
    But when you eat after a workout, your insulin levels soar.
    So there you have it- the perfect soup....amino acids, growth hormone, and insulin.
    One weight-lifter friend said he tried this "protocol" and found he was getting stronger on it, and his recovery time was what it was when he was a kid. The man was fifty!
    So don't let an empty stomach get to you! Learn to live with it.

This man speaks truths
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just remember to drink some water before you go out. I forgot one morning and was extremely dizzy before I got back to the house.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am not sure to put this topic here or with fitness and exercise, but here is the deal.

I do NOT like breakfast. I usually just don't feel ready to eat in the morning, but I know it's very important, so I should.
    The thing is, I also bike to school for about 5 km, which I would then do on an empty stomach, and then I eat something like two hours later.
    Should I really set myself to eat breakfast or would this be better since I am doing exercise on an emptry stomach?

I've exercised on an empty stomach for 28 years. Pretty much 15-20 minutes after I finish I've eaten breakfast. Banana, energy bar or something similar. Works great.

Two hours after is too long to wait.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's purely personal preference. Getting in your total nutrient goals for the day is far more important than when you eat.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Yes, all truth there. But a 5k bike ride hardly qualifies as heavy exercise. It's a 15 - 20 minute leisurely commute. Just like you would be able to walk 15-20 minutes without having to eat afterwards, you can do the same with that bike ride. Trust me, I've done a 8k commute for years :)

When you exercise you make micro tears in your muscles. Nothing bad, it's the way the body works. By fixing those tears you actually get stronger. But the body needs some materials to fix this. Mostly protein. But unfortunately your body isn't good in storing protein, unlike fat and glucose (carbs). That's why all those bodybuilders down a protein shake right after their workout. It's giving your body the building materials it needs. Doing this before a heavy workout doesn't work too well. Firstly your digestion is slowed down when your body is very busy doing other stuff (like lifting) and a lot of people feel sick if they eat to close to a workout. Hence, you eat after a workout.

In general, if your body doesn't want food in the morning then don't eat any. The reason why it is often said that breakfast is essential is because people who skip breakfast tend to eat unhealthy snacks later in the morning. So as long as you make sure you have a healthy meal whenever you feel ready to eat that's fine. You could google a bit about IF (intermittent fasting) to learn more about this.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    99% of my workouts are done on an empty or almost empty stomach. I feel gross when I eat more than a banana or half a protein bar before exercising.