Trying to look like an athlete, without really being one.

Options
I've already lost pounds on my way back to my healthy weight, however I don't want to be skinny, I want to be toned, I want to be cut, and I want to be strong. I'm not talking body builder, but I want to look like some of the beutiful female athletes you see in sports illustrated.

The issues are:

I have a bad knee that I can't work too much and have to where a brace for.

I can't go out often because its cold, rainy, and windy.

I only have weights and a bioforce machine I don't know how to use at my disposal.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm looking for anyone who has some insight into the best ways to work with/around these things to acheive my goal. This includes the best foods to promote muscle building without excess calories.

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, you are going to have to go through a bulking cycle. This will require you to eat at a calorie surplus for a bit. once you reach whatever goal you have for that, then you'd go through a cut cycle, where you will eat at a calorie deficit to lose body fat and reveal the muscle.

But this isn't something that will happen quickly. It takes a long time and a lot of effort.

You will definitely need to test out various strength training programs (or talk to your physical therapist) to see what exercises you can do.

Other options besides barbell weight training would be TRX suspension, bodyweight exercises, or/and dumbbell exercises.
  • catzi87
    catzi87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you want to build muscle, you are going to have to go through a bulking cycle. This will require you to eat at a calorie surplus for a bit. once you reach whatever goal you have for that, then you'd go through a cut cycle, where you will eat at a calorie deficit to lose body fat and reveal the muscle.

But this isn't something that will happen quickly. It takes a long time and a lot of effort.

You will definitely need to test out various strength training programs (or talk to your physical therapist) to see what exercises you can do.

Other options besides barbell weight training would be TRX suspension, bodyweight exercises, or/and dumbbell exercises.

thanks! that makes sense, because you probaly won't gain muscle if you're depriving yourself, but i've already started on the path to losing my excess fat. I guess if I choose to keep on this path, I'll have to accept that it's going to take me longer to reach my fitness goal.