How to stop myself from indulging

Options
Hi,

I've been eating clean for the past year and my cravings have shifted to "clean foods" such as edamame beans, sauteed/roasted vegetables, fruit and nuts. I know I should be happy about my cravings shifting but I absolutely hate the feeling of indulging in these foods because I almost always end up giving in. I'm still trying to lose a few pounds and these foods still do contain calories.

I hate feeling like I have no self control. I mean, I think I'll just eat one persimmon and end up eating two and a few apples thrown in. Or just a few edamame beans turns into half a cup and one serving of trail mix turns into 2. I want to be able to eat something I like and know I can stop myself if I end up craving more.

How do you keep your discipline? I want to be able to restrain myself from eating more than my share. Please don't say that since these foods are healthy, it's ok. It's more for the self discipline I'm after. If I ever end up craving unhealthy foods again I'd be toast with the way I keep giving in.

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    have a little bit of it?
  • Dreajewkes
    Options
    I'm with you. I love to indulge but what helps me is i put one serving on a dish, sit at the table, and consciously eat my food. And combine with lots of water. I love the presentation of my food so i visually appreciate my food as well as taste. Good luck :-)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating? A lot of fruits and vegetables are low in calories, so if you're netting low, that might be triggering you to go hog wild. And are you meeting all of your macros? If your diet is deficient in fat or protein, you might find yourself craving more volume when what you need is actually very specific.

It's hard to tell when your diary is closed, so this may not apply to you at all.

If you're eating enough and getting enough fats and proteins, then it sounds like some good ol' self control is in order.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I love to indulge but what helps me is i put one serving on a dish, sit at the table, and consciously eat my food. And combine with lots of water. I love the presentation of my food so i visually appreciate my food as well as taste. Good luck :-)

EXACTLY!!! For me this works!! I put what I need on a plate and put the remainder up!! I am less likely to return to the scene of the crime :blushing: if the item is already resealed.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Based on previous threads..... I suggest speaking with your parents (or another trusted adult) and/or a professional.