Needing SERIOUS ab workout!

Options
I've lost it....and I've gained some back. I have to admit I've become lax! I'm nearly 49 and feeling like there's no hope for a toned tummy. I look down when I do planks and I swear it looks like a second butt with all the untoned muscle mass. What exercises and suppliments can I take to help with this devil?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If by untoned, I assume you mean fat. You do that through calorie deficit. The muscles in your abs are solid, they just are covered in fat. Any exercises you do will not do one thing for you if you have a fat layer there other than make your stomach area look bigger and fatter.

I'm nearly your age and I barely do any ab work at all. Trust work on your diet and things will come around.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Yep. Do all the crunches and planks you want. If there is a thick layer of fat over top then they will not show.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Diet is the only thing that will get rid of the fat around your muscles. But don't give up hope - doing the workouts will give you a nice set of abs to show once you trim down.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If it's hanging down like a second butt it's fat and loose skin. No amount of ab exercises will get rid of that.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Pilates! It's a great core workout and I swear the series called "hundreds" got rid of love handles AND gave me definition on my obliques/abs. Try to find a studio with reformers if you can. It's a full body workout that is oh so gentle on the joints. Gives you a long lean look too - that's coming from someone who has always been on the short-waisted side. I'm sure the Pilates moves without the reformer have similar results but an instructor can push you so much further.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Do cable crunches. Work up to the full stack. That's some good stuff. But it won't fix a high BF%.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I love cable crunches, but, so many people do them wrong and turn them into a lower back exercise.
  • missbrendalynn
    missbrendalynn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Give TRX a go! Suspension training uses body weight & engages every muscle in your body, especially your core. The ab workouts are a real killer too. YouTube has plenty of videos :wink: